RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nowhere to cast!

Boolit Master

I have also casted at the picnic area at the local state park. Rangers are cool and talk about shooting if you keep it clean and look like you know what you are doing.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

I have on several occasions over the years offered my casting shack to friends that did not have a place to cast or the equipment. We would have a smelting party from time to time to clean all of the lead we had scrounged over a period of time and it makes the time go faster when you have help also. Eventually as finances being better they usually moved to another place where they could cast.

gmsharps

Moderator Emeritus

If you have space to store it maybe build a casting setup on top of one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/steel-m...gon-38137.html rol it out, do your casting, roll it away. Would be space to store everything under the casting table if built right

Boolit Master

My set up.

Second picture is a shelf in my tool closet that keeps all my casting items within reach and out of the way.
    First picture is of my foldable bench that has my press mounted to a removable flat base. I have another smaller base made, but found out I really don't need it.

Attachment 96789Attachment 96791

Boolit Grand Master

I cast in my garage with the doors open and ussually invite a friend or two over to cast with me. We split the cost of the lead and gas. I have mobility issues due to MS and having another person there just in case is a plus. My turkey frier stand and dutch oven will allow 3 of us to sit around it and cast. My issue isnt a place to cast its the nosey neighbors, If they find out Im melting lead Ill be getting visits probably. Shes a real pain at times.So inside the garage out of sight of her. Having the friend there is a big plus to me as an accisdent can happen even being carefull and someone there to call for or help is a good thing. Im not sure on casting at a club It would depend on rules and whats allowed. The club I belong to has rules against open burning. Bet at a park or club youd get alot of "interested" people watching. Issue would be keeping the gawkers at a safe distance. A portable set up would need to be strong enough to hold the wieght and be stable, but could be set up almost anywhere.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I cast in my garage with the doors open and ussually invite a friend or two over to cast with me. We split the cost of the lead and gas. I have mobility issues due to MS and having another person there just in case is a plus. My turkey frier stand and dutch oven will allow 3 of us to sit around it and cast. My issue isnt a place to cast its the nosey neighbors, If they find out Im melting lead Ill be getting visits probably. Shes a real pain at times.So inside the garage out of sight of her. Having the friend there is a big plus to me as an accisdent can happen even being carefull and someone there to call for or help is a good thing. Im not sure on casting at a club It would depend on rules and whats allowed. The club I belong to has rules against open burning. Bet at a park or club youd get alot of "interested" people watching. Issue would be keeping the gawkers at a safe distance. A portable set up would need to be strong enough to hold the wieght and be stable, but could be set up almost anywhere.
    Yep, but if you take an extension cord and put your pot in the grill area, that is placed on the edge of the shelter, and use the area of the park that is not use much you can cast for an hour or more. I even take my Hand Press and go and sit and watch waves at the lake while sizing brass. You do what you can go where you can do it.

I've cast with nothing more than a campfire and a long sturdy ladle. Don't need much space, and if anyone asks, tell them that you are making fishing sinkers in the shape of bullets.
    -Lars1367
    www.shop.******brass.com
    Offering reloaders quality once fired brass at reasonable prices.

Boolit Bub
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm in an apartment without a porch / balcony. My casting spot is a corner parking spot, on the tailgate of my truck, use a piece of scrap plywood and my Lee drippy pot, with an extension cord thrown out the window over the bushes.
    My reloading set up looks like Lefty Reds. A harbor freight workbench and a piece of plywood. My presses sit on top of my safe.
    You can make it work, use the side or backyard if you have them.

Boolit Master

I can remember casting in the carport on the tailgate of my mini pickup truck. I had a painters tarp and a folding chair. Flying sprues were a snap to clean up after casting. Nowadays, I use a modified Workmate type bench, a folding TV tray, and a standard chair. I built a table top for the Workmate that interconnects with the 'jaws' of the Workmate. The slots on the underside of the table top are locked by expanding the jaws out, very sturdy. I actually built two, one has the presses bolted on, the other is just for casting.

The Workmate is a good height for the Lee 10 lb pot. The wood TV tray is narrow enough to set between the legs of the Workmate and is about 4 inches lower than the Workmate. The TV tray has a folded towel for the boolits to land and I use metal bread loaf pans to store the cast boolits. Anyway, the Workmate fits in the doorway to the back of the garage and so I'm casting sort of outside. The weather generally blows from the south and the porch is on the north side. In a steady downpour I can cast with good protection from the elements and great airflow, even when fluxing.

I have a couple of great reloading benches that are stationary but the portable Workmate benches get more use. I frequently take my gear to friends houses to show them/help them reload their own cartridges. Plus, a portable reloading setup is the ticket for load development at the range. Having a portable casting setup makes it handy for teaching new casters and getting them into my favorite part of reloading, and that is casting. Oh ya, I also powder coat using the Workmate bench.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!