Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Custom Cruise Missle mold from MidSouth

DrtRacr09, That the mold that has out of wack specs being used. I was hopen you would say it measured what the original design specs are. Dutchman has an original that drops them at .266. That is what they should be.

Boolit Bub
    These are still running large. Drawing on MidSouth shows this is Revision #7 from 2002 which should cast .268" +/- .001" with WW. Not sure if playing with different alloys and temps can get it to cast close to original specs or not.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver Shooter View Post
    Dutchman has an original that drops them at .266. That is what they should be.
    Dutchman stated he bought his CM from someone casting them from an original in spec run. The 0.266" is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by DrtRacr09 View Post
    These are still running large. Drawing on MidSouth shows this is Revision #7 from 2002 which should cast .268" +/- .001" with WW.
    That is the correct size................... and that drawing is a preproduction one with some Lee fudging on it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DrtRacr09 View Post
    Did your molds arrive JonB? Mine came today, all in the new style blocks. Cruise Missile measured with dial calipers, not real scientific, Length is 1.254", Nose .262", First Band .267" Second and Third Bands .270", Fourth and Fifth Band, .271". Cast at 750* with straight WW. Nose is close to original drawing but the rest is a little large.
    Yes my order came in today. I would have commented sooner, but I wanted to try them out, as I had the time this morning. Using my rifle alloy of 94-3-3 and the alloy at about 680º, but casting at a fast pace to get the mold fairly hot, hot enough to have the boolits with an even and fairly heavy frost to them. As usual for a new Lee mold (even though I pre-heated it on a hot plate, and yes, I cleaned off machining oil too), it took about 25 pours for them to start dropping like I Like them. Using a good 1" Mic, I measured several samples to get the best average measurements.

171 gr.
    .271 on the four base bands
    .266 on the driving band
    .2615 on the nose

I did buy two of these molds,I did cast with both of them, the second one was slightly larger in some spots...again measuring several samples.
    172gr.
    .272 bottom two base bands
    .271 middle two bands
    .267 driving band
    .262 nose

Also, I'd like to add that a Gator 6.5 check snapped on easily and nice and secure, like they are suppose to. (My Lee/midsouth CM mold from a couple years ago with the large nose, also had a large GC shank, it was impossible to put a GC on with only your fingers.)

So they look pretty close to the Specs posted on Midsouth's website. I guess all that's left now, is the loading and shooting I was at my sportsman club range last Saturday, no one plowed, it was about 10º, So I hoofed it in through the snow, from the gravel road, to test fire some 40's cast from a NOE mold. I won't be doing that to shoot a rifle...maybe in a month or so.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Gardner's Cache sizes them .268". His is one of the early Lee single cavity molds. I don't know what they drop at..

http://gardnerscache.com/6_5mm_170_fp_g_c.html

Dutch