RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Custom Cruise Missle mold from MidSouth

Lee Custom Cruise Missle mold from MidSouth

Has anyone used the Lee Custom Cruise Missle Mold (6.5 Swed) and what are you getting for diameters? Mine thro .270+ boolits. None of my other Lee molds thro boolits that far off.

Moderator Emeritus

Hey Midsouth has them in stock again.
    I was hoping with their new mold block design and CNC process, that they would get them closer to spec, like they did with the Bator.

Post some pics, and dimensions of the nose as well as the GC shank, if you would please.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

well, I ordered one of these 6.5mm CM.

They also have the 8mm karabiner and the 8mm Max in stock
    Yeah, I had to order one each of those as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Grand Master

The Bator I just got is close to spec but drops under 50grs. Shoots well though.

Silver Shooter, I have been trying get Midsouth and Lee to take a look at this mold and get it cut to specs. The spec on the nose is .262".
    If you call Midsouth and tell them about it being out of spec. it would help get this problem corrected. Midsouth told me nobody has bothered to turn one in for this problem.

Boolit Grand Master

What are the dimensions that your mold is dropping at? Nose, front driving band, rear driving bands ?

Boolit Master

Mine drops at .270 and that's right where I wanted it to be.
    I shoot it in a carcano that slugs .268. Perfect.
    Denny

Boolit Grand Master

leadhead, I'm trying to get the dimensions of a mold from the last run that Lee just did. How old is yours?

Moderator Emeritus

Leadman,
    If you were talking to me ? I will post that info shortly after the molds arrive. I just got email notification that they shipped today...Midsouth must have been backlogged a couple days ? or something, cause I ordered them on the 28th.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master

JonB, the post was actually for leadhead but since your is one of the current batch this is what I am looking for. I would like to know what size the nose, front driving band and the other driving bands are. The front driving band is supposed to be smaller than the rest.
    Andy Lee checked one mold and the carbide cutter for this mold and he thinks everything is in spec.

I miced my boolits, took 3 and went for an average. They all miced the same. Nose is .263, first band is .267, next 4 bands are .270. What is Lee saying the specs should be? I bought my mold about a year ago.

Boolit Grand Master

Attachment 95171I gave Andy Lee the specs from the drawing in the ad for this mold on Midsouth's website. Midsouth had given Andy different specs than what are in the drawing. This is the drawing from Midsouth's website.

Boolit Master

Mine must be four or five years old. Bought two of them and machined
    a couple of the bands off it to make it lighter and shorter. Haven't
    really had time to fool with it.
    Denny

Man that sucks that these CM molds are out of wack. My dropped boolits are way bigger than what that drawing shows. A worthless mold. If I would have just bought this thing, I would send it back but I bought it about a year ago and just now cast with it. I was so excited cause my M96 is on its way and I was preparing by getting some boolits done up. Now I'd pay the extra and get the 150gr Lyman if I knew what I do now.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5 Bullet Moulds.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	95242
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Mine drops at .270 and that's right where I wanted it to be.
    I shoot it in a carcano that slugs .268. Perfect.
    Denny
    Same for me, I bought 2 moulds for my M91 Carcano and had one machined down to produce 150gn bullets, which seem to work better.
    Both my moulds cast at .2695, which is just right.
    ukrifleman.

I cast about 100 or so boolits with mine and like I said before, this is the first time out of the box. I measured them after reading some of the posts about Lee's Cruise Missle, and they are are dropping at .270+ on the bottom 4 bands. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!! I cleaned up the mold and put it back into the box. It's not workable for my guns. I have a notion to send it back to MidSouth and request my money back. (probably never happen)

Boolit Master

Silver Shooter, What do you want them to come out at?
    Can't you just size them down to what you want?
    Denny

Denny, These buggers are dropping at .270+ and from what I gather in Dutchmans writings, as a rule, he like the Swed boolits at about .266. That what they drop out of his mold. Now maybe they could go even to .268 but from what I'm thinking I'm hearing is that sizing these long Missles down that much makes the boolit unstable cause the center of mass can differ so much. I'm not for sure if that's the way it's being told for sure. I have thoughts of cutting that mold down to drop in the 150gr area which would put the boolit length at a better length???? Still I question sizing down. My M96 will be here in a couple days and I will caste the throat and bore to see what this gun has for measurements and maybe I will be ok at a larger diameter boolit.. I am so corn-fused

Boolit Grand Master

Silver Shooter, if it casts too large for your gun it can't hurt to call Midsouth. These will never get cut right if Midsouth doesn't know they are not right.
    Tthere is a group buy going on for a mold cut to the original dimensions by 45 2.1.

Moderator Emeritus

Silver Shooter, What do you want them to come out at?
    Can't you just size them down to what you want?
    Denny
    My 2˘
    The size of the nose is the issue for a bore riding style boolit. While a few here may practice sizing the nose of the boolit to match a specific rifle, it's just better to not have to. I bought one of these from midsouth about 3 years ago...the nose was huge and wouldn't chamber in my 96 and a couple Japs I have. I sent that mold down the road.

Again, I'm hoping that Lee's new block design and new CNC machining practices fix the issue. But what you say below worries me...unless Andy is just blowing smoke ?

snip...
    I gave Andy Lee the specs from the drawing in the ad for this mold on Midsouth's website. Midsouth had given Andy different specs than what are in the drawing. This is the drawing from Midsouth's website."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Bub
    Did your molds arrive JonB? Mine came today, all in the new style blocks. Cruise Missile measured with dial calipers, not real scientific, Length is 1.254", Nose .262", First Band .267" Second and Third Bands .270", Fourth and Fifth Band, .271". Cast at 750* with straight WW. Nose is close to original drawing but the rest is a little large.