MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage 340 in 30-30 Win

Boolit Buddy

In the past I have worked on several of these rifles in various cals. In all cases it was because they shot patterns not groups and in all cases the cure was the same. The rifles were bedded so that the recoil lug was bottoming in the stock and this was bowing the action when the screws were tight. The cure was to eliminate the contact between the bottom of the recoil lug and the stock.
    Here is my .30/30 version of the 340.

Make: Sears Roebuck & Co.

Model: 101.53521

Action: Turn bolt

Stock: Hardwood walnut stained

Trigger: Factory

Weight: 7 lb. 3 oz. w/o magazine

Sights: Front, integral ramp and gold bead. Middle, U notch with step elevator. Scope, Weaver K4 with thin crosswires in Weaver side mount.

Accessories: Sling swivel studs. Extra magazine.

Modifications: Rifle rebeded in stock to improve accuracy.

Comments: This rifle is the same as the Savage Model 340.

Cast Boolit Info: Barrel slugged on 8/21/2009 and the groove diameter is .3087”
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip_2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	95369

NOE 311407Mod, 50/50+2% tin, dip lubed in 45/45/10, H335-25.0G, 0.8G Dacron, SD=.558”, Crimp just removed flare, Chrono 1729 FPS. ½ to ¾” @ 25 Yds. depending on my state when shot.

bgokk Benefactor Member NRA
    The second amendment is the guarantee for all the other amendments...........

Banned

Mine is also the Sears version and looks exactly like that one. It shoots several loads well, my deer load was the Ideal 31141, cast of WW with 2% tin in front of 25 grains of the old B West BW-36 powder which is similar to 3031.

I removed some wood from under the recoil lug on mine as well. Didn't seem to make much difference, but it was a decent shooter already.

Here is the pics of the one I'm looking at. Can't get him to answer my messages now. Still waiting

Name:	Savage340_zpsd064d37f.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	95409
    Hebrews 1:3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

BigTee

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtee View Post
    Here is the pics of the one I'm looking at. Can't get him to answer my messages now. Still waiting

Name:	Savage340_zpsd064d37f.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	95409
    Grab it, you won't regret it. Have a Stevens 325 (same thing) that really likes 311041 and H335 at 1980 FPS. Also like your tag line.

In Remembrance
    I have one, also sears branded. I considered them an entry level gun built at a time when cheaper entry level guns still had some quality about them. They just work as intended. Mine will eventually go to my grandson. I am still kicking myself for not picking up it's little brother the 222 that was for sale here locally last year. A mistake I don't intend to make again.

I have a 340 in 30-30. I have never been able to get it to shoot any better than 4 or 5" groups at 100 yards, cast or jacketed. I think that part of the problem is the barrel mounted rear sight. I need to put a receiver peep sight on it and try again.

Boolit Master
    your cast boolits might be ashamed to be placed in such a homely looking gun but they get over it when you pull the trigger!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The only complaint I have with the mount below is that it mounts slightly HIGH. Might purchase a leather/cloth cheek piece to go along with it to raise the eyeball 1/4-1/2 inch to compensate. ... felix

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I used one of these to scope my 340 and I like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-890-840-340-322-Hornet-Rifle-Scope-Picatinny-Mount-S
    un-Optics-USA-SM4460-/151190670580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2333aa 8cf4

It's not supposed to be an "iron sighter" mount, but I can use the open sights (which are pretty decent on mine) under the scope. Since the rifle has a detachable magazine, that opens possibilities, carry deer loads the scope is zeroed for and small game loads in another magazine for use with iron sights.

Someone is making new magazines for them now too. I like mine, wish they still made them.
    felix

Boolit Master
    I figured this puppy won't ever look right so who cares and I changed the side mount a little to go over center. Looks like you know what but it works good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	95512
    Look twice, shoot once.

In Remembrance
    What is that stock off of Neckshot???

Boolit Master
    A 670 winny. I got the action at a gun show and picked up the stock earlier for next to nothing(it was really cut short) so I figured both pieces were orphaned so lets make a savchester! Really shoots good.
    Look twice, shoot once.

In Remembrance
    Nice, it looks good.

I have 2 of them (325's). One scoped the other Open Sights. I am buying another scope mount and having it D&T.
    Both shoot the Lyman 31141HP in 1.5 in at 100. Same load!
    Big Bore = 45+

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Attachment 95168

I have a 340 in 30-30....light and easy to carry in the field....good shooter
    atr
    Oy, if I shot that, I'd have a scar on the back of my head....
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Krags all had a barrel band, and at one point in the first decade of the 20th century they were banned from military competition because they were outshooting the "new" 1903 Springfields.
    Cognitive Dissident

One shouldn't think the barrel band bad even though it may be 'old' technology... I find in general, using cast boolits, that the barrel band as well as recoil lugs pulled into the stock with a screw (especially forward lugs as in Savage Model 23) in fact improve accuracy rather than deter it.... They make the 'cold start' shot more predictable which is maybe the hardest 'cast boolit' problem to conquer; a very important item to the hunter.
    I have both a Savage Model 340 - .30-30 and a Model 342 - .22 Hornet. Their barrel bands will stay.

Eutectic

Very happy today when out with my Savage 340 at the range, I have a working load in 170grains and 150grains, both at 1900fps, both 1 3/8"groups (off sandbags with a scope). This set was shot today with ACWW, I'll try again with ACWW/50:50 and then feel comfortable heading out hunting. Top target is five shots, lower is four shots:

Name:	savage28grain2208_16feb14.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	96879

Name:	savage19grain2205_16feb14.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	96880
    Last edited by sthwestvictoria; 02-16-2014 at 04:21 PM.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Banned

Looks to me like it's time to go hunting. The one deer I shot with my 340 used the Ideal 31141 (old mold) and ACWW with 2 ounces of tin to a ten pound pot. I probably wasn't pushing them anymore than 1900 FPS (maybe less) and the doe died fast. May not be a fair comparison as the range of the shot was very, very close, but the terminal effects and blood trail with that load were better than the ones I've shot with other .30s using similar bullets cast softer. Not sure why, I watched her fall, but there was a blood trail Stevie Wonder could have followed and the ones since had very little. It was probably because the range was less than ten yards.

Boolit Master

Dang, every one of any of the variations of a 30-30 bolt gun I see is priced way up there with higher dollar guns and yet folks are picking them for bargain basement prices elsewhere.

One day my TC will have a fellow 30-30 in the safe.

sthwestvictoria

Your ADI 2205 is our H4227, correct?
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-08-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned

There's always room for another .30-30. I have a bunch, oddly, only two are lever guns.