RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: More Gouging...Yikes

In Remembrance
    This is a current add on Alaskalist. Not everybody is trying to get rich.

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen...mmunition.html

22 Ammunition (Wasilla) 22 ammo for sale $20 a brick of 500 Remington thunderbolt Calls only please if no answer please call again limit 5 bricks

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a lot of you want a communist economy where supplies are divided equally among those who will use it instead of free market where the value of the item dictates the price. 22lr is worth more now than it was 18 months ago. That's all there is to it.

Not @ all!

We simply expect people to behave like men & women of honor w/ a good reputation (what a concept)! Those lessons they were (hopefully) taught as children (and chose to ignore) show how far down they have degenerated. Gougers, grifters, dope peddlers, bribe-takers, perverts etc (all tarred w/ the same brush) will get what they want: $$, power, thrills etc.

The only thing we take to the grave is our reputation. The $$ the Gouger gets will soon be back in the economy and forgotten. The universal scorn they rightly earn will be with them all their miserable lives!

Quote Originally Posted by taiden View Post
    Sounds like a lot of you want a communist economy where supplies are divided equally among those who will use it instead of free market where the value of the item dictates the price. 22lr is worth more now than it was 18 months ago. That's all there is to it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taiden View Post
    ...free market where the value of the item dictates the price. 22lr is worth more now than it was 18 months ago. That's all there is to it.
    Yep.
    Simple.
    True.
    Demand is up, supply is not, price rises.
    Econ 101.
    <
    "But - but - it used to be cheaper!"
    Yes. It didn't cost this much five years ago. That's irrelevant. Free markets fluctuate. Prices change constantly. They're not determined by some committee or by what some czar thinks the price should be. (Thank Goodness!) They're determined by those two old familiar actors - supply and demand.
    <
    "But - I don't want to pay that much!"
    Okay - then don't.
    <
    Many of the objections can be boiled down to "I wish I had bought more when it was cheap."
    Me too. Hindsight is 20/20 for all of us.
    Other objections are simply long-winded ways of saying "I wish it was cheaper now."
    Me too. I wish it was five bucks a brick. Heck - I wish it was free. It ain't, and all the wishing in the world won't change that reality.
    Others are basically saying "If only all of those other people weren't so greedy and selfish and they would stop buying it there would be plenty for me." Yep - that's true. So those "other people" are evil and selfish because they want the same thing that you want? You expect them to leave the ammo on the shelf so that YOU can have it - and you're trying to convince me that THEY'RE the selfish ones?
    <
    Grow up. Quit whining. You want some - I want some - EVERYBODY wants some. That's why it's worth more than it was five years ago. Note I didn't just say "it costs more." It costs more because it's worth more - at least for now. Pay the market price, stand in line at oh-dark-thirty trying for a bargain, get your request on a waiting list - do what you think is best. All of that ammo is going somewhere. Make it your business to get some for yourself.
    <
    Or - just complain. Your choice.
    <
    And in the future, remember that markets change. Remember these lean times when things get better and stock your shelves while the price is right.
    <
    Uncle R.

Love Life
    I don't want some. The only reason I bought some was for my daughter. I practice with the guns I shoot....

Uncle R.- If you ever find yourself in Northern Nevada, I would love to buy you a cup of coffee and shoot the breeze.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I don't want some. The only reason I bought some was for my daughter. I practice with the guns I shoot....
    Ok - EVERYBODY but Love Life wants some...

Actually I'm sitting pretty good myself with my recent acquisition of Mini Mags. I should be covered through the summer unless the boys get REALLY active with the 22s this year. I've been thinking about introducing them to rimfire silhouette - that'll make my stockpile dwindle! It would tickle me pink to see them get REALLY good with rifle or handgun and silhouettes might prove to be the key.

If I do head out your way Love Life I'll look you up. I think I would enjoy that coffee and that talk. Heck - I'd buy the donuts!

Uncle R.

In Remembrance
    I would much rather pay the same price for a loaf of bread as I did 5 years ago, but I don't ever see that happening either. lol Sometimes I can con the old woman into making some, that is way better than store bought, but not everyday and she can't make it for the same price she could 5 years ago either. lol

Boolit Master
    Five years or so I walked into Wal Mart in Eagle River, Alaska one day and seen the shelves covered with Federal 550 LR bulk packs for $8.97 and that was not "on sale". I had been using Remington bulk packs but was dissatisfied so wanted to try another brand. I had a flash back and was thinking that back late in the 1960's I remember paying about $1 a box for 50, 22 LR. I didn't buy any that day but kept on thinking about it and couldn't figure out why the price was actually cheaper 40 years later even if you discounted inflation. Next day I went back and cleaned out the case and everything they had in back. To this day I still don't understand why the ammo was cheaper than it was 40 years ago.
    Lucky buy on my part.

I also ended up paying about $180-$200 for 8 pound kegs of various gun powder before I departed Alaska. Much higher price than we now pay in the lower 48. My choice, I was willing to spend more just for my own piece of mind that I would have the powder when I needed it.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 02-02-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    Moving back to Alaska

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    About 20 years ago, I bought a lot of federal, remington, and other brands of .22lr for very cheap.. I shot them all. Then I went to buy more. They wanted more money, but I bought a lot anyway. I shot them all too. I kept buying more and more at higher and higher prices. And shot them all. Now they are very hard to find, and when you can, the prices will make your jaw hit the floor. Im going to buy some more. And shoot them all... better buy plenty..damn kids like shooting too. They will plow through them quicker than me.

Boolit Master

Just because some CAN do something doesn't mean they should. That's how I feel about the "gougers". So far I have managed to not buy a single round from any of them, thanks mostly to some good people here and locally. I actually bought some from Midway that with shipping came out to more than a gouger guy I know had them for. The Heck with him, I just won't play his game and add to the problem. If you don't have any principles then you don't have much.

Boolit Buddy

I used to get pissed at what people were/are selling .22's for but now honestly don't care,i simply have stopped shooting my .22's for the most part and will just wait till the supply is caught up and its reasonable again. I cast now for every caliber that I have except .22's so I have plenty of other guns to play with,rather than be pissed I'm just remembering those that are charging the insane prices and simply wont purchase from them in the future when things are back to normal.

Boolit Master

Uncle R, 22 rf silhouette is a lot of fun.
    My wife and I shot IHMSA handgun small bore silhouette.
    We bought 22lrs by the case. Read 5K at a time here.
    You will find your supply of 22s dwindling but you boys will have a great time.
    I learned a lot about shooting a handgun playing that game and had a great time.....dale

Simple Get a Pellet gun for your 22lr work, Save what you have for times of need! Pellets are cheap ...like 5000 pellets+6000 bb's for $55.00 at wal mart! [My last order]