Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: model 70 pre-64 30-06

Boolit Buddy

model 70 pre-64 30-06

I picked up this rifle in trade today. I have wanted one for years. I am going to replace the butt pad to something more original, instead of the goofy rubber one somebody installed on it. I am thinking of making a somewhat period correct rifle. I have bid on an older leupold m8 4 power scope to put on it.

Sure be an excellent brush gun for elk.I sure like those old featherweights!

Boolit Master

Lucky you! My favorite high power rifle bar none.

I'm guessing Ought-Six or 308 by the mention of using it as a brush rifle for elk.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy

30-06.It should be a good rifle!

Boolit Master
    Yes they are good rifles!

Good on you for at least the attempt at getting it back to something like "original". Depending on the year of manufacture, fitting a "correct" buttplate could be a little tricky. If it was a standard sporter it probably had the steel "diamond" butt plate that had some inletting for fit. In that case, the butt was squared off for fitting the rubber pad. If it's slightly later, about 59-64, the standard plate was thin plastic and didn't have the more complex inletting. That would be a little easier to re-fit with a more correct replacement.

Older scopes do add some class to these rifles. The problem with them is not knowing if they still work. Older Redfields, the early Lymans and of course the earlier Weavers would most closely match the era of the rifle. However nothing wrong with a good condition Leupold M8. If you look at slip73's thread on his pre-64, ColColt posted a very nice photo of one of his pre-64s mounted with an older Lyman--- another cat's meow for these old classics.

I took the liberty of transferring ColColt's photo here since were pulling all the pre-64s out of the closet.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 01-26-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Boolit Master

Period Scopes for Pre 64s

Here's a few period scopes. Both the Leuopold Pioneer on a 1949 Model 70 and the Weaver 330 on a Pre-War 70 work well. Both have perfectly clear optics; but the Weaver, due to its age, only gets used with reduced loads (for light recoil and shock to the scope) on the 270 calibre Pre-War 70. The Weaver 330 is particularly fun as it's only 2 to 2 1/2 power or so and with its post reticle it's like shooting with a very clear aperture sight. It's a hoot for off hand and position shooting at reactive targets.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 01-26-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

My day to day scope on a Pre-64 is this Leopold "Alaskan" 4X that was produced in the late 80s or early 90s. Like the Pioneer above, it's a 7/8" tube and a perfect match for this 1948 Model 70 in Ought-Six.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 01-26-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy

Mine is a 56 model 70. I am bidding on a older leapould m8 4 power scope on gunbroker now. I took the rifle apart last night and waxed the inside of the stock.Looks like someone tried to bubba free float the barrel channel but neglected to seal it up when they were done. I cant wait until I get this rifle where I want it!

Boolit Master
    Being a '56, and if I understand it's a Featherweight?, the original plate would be aluminum- the same or similar design to the standard steel model. The transition to plastic didn't begin until '59.

First, see how it shoots. If it doesn't after serious testing, you could glass bed the barrel back to more or less original condition and appearance. It won't hurt anything and would strengthen the stock.

Boolit Bub
    Tough to beat the oldies. An m8 4x would make it a handy stick

Boolit Buddy

Yep it should be aluminum. But I am going to stick with the rubber pad until after my loads are worked up. lol.