MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What's the best overall Single Stage Press?

Boolit Master

Current production, for the money, gotta be the Lee , makes a decent swage press with little modification - BUT, my best single stage press is my Corbin swage press with the reloading adapter - WAAAY stronger than most any conventional single stage . And still less than RCBS said they'd need to make A2's again !

Years ago I started out with the Lee Challenger, which I've never regretted. I then purchased the Lee Classic Turret Press (4 hole) thinking that I would do some progressive reloading. After six or seven years or so, I have used the classic press about 95% of the time as a single stage press. It is extremely sturdy, and it is very versatile and it gives you an option of single or progressive. With that in mind, if the Classic Turret Press had been available when I purchased the Challenger, and know what I know now, I would have purchased the Classic hands down. No doubt there are several great single stage presses available that have proven themselves over the years, but I suggest that you try to think single stage "outside the envelope".

I only have a RCBS Rockchucker.......So I'll say that's the best for me!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Started out with an RCBS Jr in 1981 and it's still my primary press, an aluminum version of the same press is mounted on a portable bench. They won't do anything that any other O-frame press can't do so it's a moot point for most applications. If I needed a new single stage press today it would probably be the Lee Classic...but I like red! Pick a color indeed.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

My RCBS Rock Chucker Has served me well for almost forty years. Some wear and play is developing. Am thinking it could of benefitted from some grease. Would have to take it apart, grease pins then re assemble. It's always had flex when doing hard resizing. Stronger press wouldn't hurt a thing when doing stuff like resizing blown out surplus military brass. One week I ran 5,000 old 5.56mm NATO through that press. I should of greased it all up first instead of just a little oil.

For making quality ammo I think I'd go with Bonanza Co ax. For the shell holder that grips the shell lined up under the die.

Boolit Master

I have three, the RCBS Rockchucker, RCBS Rockchucker II and my Dillon RL550B. I use all three for different things.

Actually, I just got a RCBS Reloader Special 5 in a trade, so I'll have to use that for something?

I'd buy a used Rockchucker or the Rockchucker II and never regret it.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a used Co-Ax press at a gun show many years ago to learn how to reload. It was the first press that had today's "through RAM" used primer handling, even though it doesn't have a RAM as such. No used primers popping out of the press to roll around on the bench or floor, they all fall into a little collection jar under the press. It is great to learn on because of it's primer seating ability, yes it's a pain to fumble an individual primer into place to seat it, and adjusting the tabs that form the case rim retention system on my old design press isn't quick and easy - new presses I understand now have the same case holder setup up top for primer seating as it is on the main platform for reloading cases; but the big advantage is there is no way to "over-seat" and crush a primer unless you really screw up bad (there are always better fools than there are fool-proof systems). It is also very difficult to stick a case in a die using the Co-Ax press, it's ability to "float" the die and case and let them align with each other seems to prevent cases from sticking in my experience. Even my dirty 45-70 cases resize without difficulty and without any lube whatsoever, I do usually clean them first but I don't bother to lube anything anymore.
    Almost forgot to mention they are great for cases like the 7.5x55 Swiss that have unique and currently hard to find case holders - because they don't use a standard case holder and come with a setup that allows most any case smaller than the big Rigby/Weatherby cases to be loaded. You do need to get a set of plates modified in a machine shop if you want to load the big African caliber cases on a CoAx press.
    But the Co-Ax can't do all operations, specially about forming cases. Anytime the process includes an extended case holder - you can't do that with the Co-Ax as the Co-Ax doesn't use case holders. The micrometer seating dies usually fit ok if it's a shorter case like 6.5-284 or something based on the 308 case, but don't plan on using one for a full length magnum case or a Remington UltraMag case in the Co-Ax as it will interfere with the press handle.
    Last edited by Firebird; 01-27-2014 at 03:51 AM.

I have the Redding Ultramag. The compound levers @ the top leave plenty of room and an open area to work in w/o a bar in front of you. The primer disposal through the ram is a feature anyone will fall in love with.

I also have a Lee Classic Cast press. They copied the primer disposal method. If $$ is an issue, this is the press to get. It's ram/die station alignment is dead-nuts straight.

I do all my handgun loading on a lee classic cast 4-hole turret press.

Boolit Master
    I have three presses that offer through the ram disposal:

Ultramag
    COAX
    Champion

I do believe some older presses had that feature too.

r1kk1