Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scored 21 lbs Varget

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Well.....I wonder what 357max would say about the 100 lbs of Promo I have - along with another 80-100 or so lbs of powder that seem to have gotten mysteriously stockpiled in the pole barn. I am on the look out for more too, but waiting to find deals. With a "reasonable" inventory, one can wait for deals and stock up.

Some call it hoarding - some call it planning. At this point "What difference does it make?"

xman, in the words of another famous bitch, "Let them eat cake".

Don Verna
    Don

I would say good on you. I read the grasshopper/ant story in school and I oractice that lesson.....my words above were not in purple for a reason......it was not sarcasm. I have my "reserves" stashed so that I can stare at it occassionally....makes me feel like a very warm and well fed grasshopper.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Well.....I wonder what 357max would say about the 100 lbs of Promo I have - along with another 80-100 or so lbs of powder that seem to have gotten mysteriously stockpiled in the pole barn. I am on the look out for more too, but waiting to find deals. With a "reasonable" inventory, one can wait for deals and stock up.
    I wonder what your local fire code says about that quantity? That's what you have to worry about more than anything else.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
    I have to agree, this is part of the reason when i got to look for Varget its always gone. Buy a couple and let the rest of us have a chance at it.
    Keep a reserve hidden in the back of your wallet...when you find what you need....BUY IT......it is really that simple. One pound jugs are for load development....they make 8lbers for things you shoot often and for damn good reason. My powder cabinets are full....might have to install another and I have bought less than 3 lbs of powder since the "crunch" began. It's effects are minimal if you have any sort of PLANNING PLAN in place.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xman777 View Post
    I went to the local GS today and came out 21lbs heavier!
    Xman,

I have heard it was illegal to store more than five pounds of powder in PA. Send the rest of it to me and I will keep it safe for you in TN. I said safe, nothing about returning it.

Boolit Master
    Just funny!! Reading about powder kegs, was looking at a old Hogdons manual, Sizes were 1, 3-5, 8 and 50 kegs.

Boolit Bub
    How I would love a 45lb'er of '335

Banned

they had 12 pound kegs and 35 and 50 pound drums at one time.
    I used to use an old 35 pound drum as a trash can, and my dad still has a 12 pound one in his den.

We had several 50lb kegs when I was a kid we used up, mostly H4350, and H4895

Boolit Master

To the OP: You go girl!

It seems to some that if you bought your powder in 21 lb increments 2 years ago, it's alright.

If you buy it now in the same amounts, you are a hoarder.

I'll stand by my observation: Whenever you hear the terms hoarder, gouger, scalper, it's because you have something that they want and do not have.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    That's about a years worth of practice , it sounds reasonable to me to buy it all at one time so you can keep it all the same lot number .

Use it in good health amigo .

Jack
    ^^I agree
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    they had 12 pound kegs and 35 and 50 pound drums at one time.
    I used to use an old 35 pound drum as a trash can, and my dad still has a 12 pound one in his den.
    Post a picture of the drum. Thats cool and I wish I could find one.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Keep a reserve hidden in the back of your wallet...when you find what you need....BUY IT......it is really that simple. One pound jugs are for load development....they make 8lbers for things you shoot often and for damn good reason. My powder cabinets are full....might have to install another and I have bought less than 3 lbs of powder since the "crunch" began. It's effects are minimal if you have any sort of PLANNING PLAN in place.

This is exactly what I do. Every time I go to Wally World I pull out an extra $20 at checkout, stash it and when I find something, like the 2 pounds of 2400 last week, I buy it. I don't have the cash to buy cases of powder, but if I find a deal on a keg, I'll snatch it up. I'd like to find a keg of CFE223, but the prices are still too high.

Hopefully later this summer I can get restocked on a few things from powder valley. Still running strong on primers as I have 2 ammo cans full. I typically enjoy shooting my revolvers the most, then my AR and then my target rifles. Last time I looked I had 24 or 25 pounds of various powders. Mostly for small cased rifle and magnum pistol.

I agree with being prepared. I already told my fiancé that if Hillary runs for 2016, I'm for sure socking away a few more AR's and caches of powder and primers.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I find powder pretty easy. Just one pic from my local guy. He has more stashed in other places.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    I find powder pretty easy. Just one pic from my local guy. He has more stashed in other places.
    How much does he get per pound? I am completly out of powder.

Boolit Grand Master

That is the best powder shelf at a lgs I've seen in some time. The lgs up home I went into had nowhere near that selection but did have a dozen or more 1lb bottles of 2400. I picked one up in October and another when I got home Christmas. If I go home again soon Ill get another one.

I would be hard pressed not to buy that 8lb jug of both Trailboss and Promo

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    How much does he get per pound? I am completly out of powder.
    Actually, I "Believe" that his prices are pretty good. I took the pic when I went by to shoot the breeze and pick up some 22 rim fire.
    I don't buy much powder but I did buy 8 lbs of Bullseye and a pound of HP-38 to try out from him. His prices were just more than PV then.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Interesting. I need some powder for my 45 Colt since thats what I shoot the most. Maybe ill work my way over to where you are at once ai get a couple of pay checks.

Boolit Master
    Good score. I love Varget.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Interesting. I need some powder for my 45 Colt since thats what I shoot the most. Maybe ill work my way over to where you are at once ai get a couple of pay checks.
    Give me a heads up if you do decide to do that. I'll give the guy a call for availability and pricing.
    Last edited by Down South; 01-26-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Ok. Sounds like a plan!