Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Noobie ? Daylight thru closed mold

Noobie ? Daylight thru closed mold

Just got my lee 2 cavity mold for tumble lube 158 gr wc, when closed I can look thru bullet cavity in mold and see light, is this normal?

Thanks

Boolit Master

No,Send it back to Lee
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Before sending it back to Lee, I suggest you take a close look (with a magnifying glass if necessary) to check for any burrs around the cavities or edges. If there are any they may be very easy to remove if you have any shop skills. Read the "Leementing" sticky about Lee mould pre-use/break in instructions:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ost-Revisited)

The mould should close tight but often a small burr will hold the mould faces apart a thou or two. This may settle in after you cast a bit with it as burrs flatten of break off.

If cavities look good and there is nothing obvious wrong with the mould faces, I would try casting then check boolits for roundness. If they cast withing spec then I would keep it and use it but I would also probably do some light lapping (Leementing).

Certainly if the gap is large or boolits are more than about 0.001" to 0.002" out of round the mould should go back to Lee. Also, before doing any Leementing, make sure you do not plan to send it back as they may not warranty it if you do any Leementing.

Longbow

Thanks guys

Boolit Grand Master
    Take a stiff NYLON or plastic brush and scrub the mating surfaces of the mold halves. Do not use a brass or steel brush, which will ruin the mold. You are striving to remove any burrs or stray metal chips that may be blocking the mold from closing. On the new style Lee Molds, check the alignment pins for protrusion and look closely at the base for burrs or chips. Remove any that you find.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    The mold halves should have a little flex on each handle. Make sure there is nothing between the handle and mold blocks making them stiff to keep from mating up.

Mike

Boolit Master
    I recently purchased a 30cal 170gr mold from Lee and had the same concern. When held up to the light ,one could easily see light . When looking at it from the front, one block appeared to be cocked as if the handle screw was installed at an angle. That block also was very tight on the handles as in, would not pivot, compared to the mating side. Took it back to Lee.( I live close by) and they gave me a new one. The new one has no light and both block are loose on the handles. Casts an excellent bullet.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US