WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What's the coldest weather you've experienced?

Boolit Master
    12 below in Ely Nevada when I was out coyote calling but I will say that 25 degrees above on the Olympic Peninsula feels colder than 5 below due to the dampness. That is why Roosevelt elk have bigger bodies to hold heat better in damp cold.

Boolit Master

Here is a interesting website you can look at historical weather data http://www.wunderground.com/history i am not sure of it's limits . Last summer our local weather was saying how hot it was hotter than the 1930's i sent them a link to show the summer of 1988 was worse i never got a response.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Bub

-30 in the parking lot trying to get Chevy Luv started. This was in n Iowa on the Missippi with the wind ahowling about 1979

I did one of them brimfrost exercises about a trillion years ago.. But coldest i ever been in was a meager -69 north of the Arctic circle on the haul road.... Freaking cold.. Very hard to breathe... No windchill factored in....

Boolit Master
    On the flightline at Ft. Wainwright, AK one fine morning; -45 ambient temp, working in the rotor wash of a CH-47 Chinook helo sling loading a trailer. I have no idea how cold it was factoring in the wind chill from them two big egg-beater rotors, but it was C-O-LD!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

I got to thinking back and it seems to me that about 10yrs ago I was running from New England to California and went through Iowa during a cold snap where it was -46 without windchill. I parked the truck at a truckstop so it was not facing the wind, left it on high idle and went inside. The seat near the window was so cold I wore a jacket when I ate. That was kinda chilly.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I had to work an accident on I-74 one midnight shift. Actual air temp was -25 and wind chill -75. Brutal wind coming out of the west that night. They actually closed I-74, mostly due to badly drifting snow.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Mold
    Near the black spruce, by the granite outcrop, next to the lake (Canadian Shield country)
    BTW, -40 C = -40F

We've had that temperature a lot this winter, thou not for some time in the past few years. It had been -50C (-60F) with the windchill for about 3 weeks around Christmas.

The coldest temperature I was ever in was at the Pelly Bay, NWT airport back in '85. -58 C (~-70F) & -93 C (-134 F) with the windchill. The 737's door ladder assembly had to be thawed with a tiger torch to get it to close after only being open for 10 minutes.

When I lived in Yellowknife, NWT back in the mid-80's, we used to hope the temperature would drop to below -40, as then at least the wind would calm down. The winter of '85-'86 it never got above -40 (either plain temperature or with the windchill) from Halloween until Easter. Dark 'til 9:30 in the morning, dark again by 3:00 in the afternoon. You don't know what cabin fever is!

Ah, those were the good old days. BS!!!

The OP, I think, though, is right on the money. It's getting a lot harder to put up with as I age. You can only do so much reloading, gun cleaning (for the umpteenth time), hunting book reading, online gun buying and movie watching. I don't cast inside anymore (a month of headaches the last time kind of finished that idea for me), so there's not a heck of a lot else to do. It's too darned cold to sled or ice-fish or sit out in a blind to nail a timber wolf, so what else is there to occupy the body, mind & spirit, til the crocuses start pokin' their heads up?

Going through the wood-pile pretty fast, too.

Stay warm!

Jim

Boolit Master

I spent a winter in Minnesota in the 1960's when the high for two weeks was -20. When it got up to zero it was like spring. Spent the next four winters below the equator or in Florida so I could warm up.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master
    About -36 actual air temp is the coldest I've seen. Not too bad if dressed for it, but did burn the lungs a bit. Sure wouldn't want to have to work out in it for any length of time.

Being from outside of Houston, I grew up thinking freezing was cold. 20 was really cold. We spend the majority of the winter above 40. Then I did a winter in Korea. OMG. Unusually cold winter that year. Only snowed twice. Too cold the rest of the time. -20 was a daily norm. One night, it was -45. Not counting what was around a 40 mph wind. Would have to rotate starting all our vehicles, running them 20 minutes each hour, so the fluids wouldn't freeze. THAT was a long night. About a week later, took a bus down to Seoul to pick up and drive a "new" deuce back up. Someone had switched the canvas on the cab, and it was ripped across, right behind the windshield. And the flipping heater did not work. -30 that morning. By the time I got that sucker up to Camp Casey, I almost needed help getting out of the truck, so cold I couldn't move very well. And I still squall when it gets down to 30 here, now... I really hate the cold.