Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to build a bubba 308.....

Want to build a bubba 308.....

Here we go.....

I wanna build a bubba 308... I really like the mauser actions on both of AlaskanGurls 308's but they are hers.....

Sooooo suggestions on mauser parts? I have never built a bubba before, and money is kinda tight this time of year.... Only requirements is that it shoots straight out to about 200 yards..... Dont have to be purty either, as i already have a purty wife, dont need anything else purty.... I am learning to re-do stocks thanks to a great member of this forum... So stock being fugly is not an issue.... I just cant stand being without a 308, and rust dont scare me...lol

I need a shopping list i think of stuff that will work together with some sort of mauser action..... And just need something..... Figured i would document the whole thing right here..

AG

Boolit Grand Master
    The cheapest way would be to buy a pre-bubba'd rifle, then put a .308 barrel on it. That way you can get one the is already drilled and tapped, with scope bases and the bolt handle bent/ or welded. Quite possibly a stock that will work for you also.

I did that about ten years ago, I bought a 98 that had been sporterized in the sixties (probably) for a hundred dollars from a kid that worked for me, I thik it was still an 8mm at the time. I put a 6.5-06 barrel on it for a while, then decided I wanted a .308.

Back then, Parker-Hale take-off barrels, from British sniper rifles IIRC, were going for about $60 on e-bay. The one I got screwed right on and headspaced okay. The front sight screws are at 3 O'clock, but I have a 3-9 Vari-x II on it so that doesn't bother me.

Mine will bust 3/4" gravel at 150 yards on a clay pond dam with surplus M80 ball. You can't really see the rock get hit, but you can see a puff of limestone dust.

I think altogether, I have about $300.00 in the rifle.

Honestly, if you have to buy the tools and all the parts for just one rifle, you will be money a head buying a Savage 110 in .308, You will probably save money with a used Remington or Winchester, too.

Robert
    Last edited by Mk42gunner; 01-03-2014 at 02:33 AM.

I know, i could get a savage axis in 308 brand spanking new for 350.... But i just love the actions on my wifes 2 308's.... And i want my own...lol sad aint it... I checked out a buddys axis today, and it was ok, but there is just something about that mauser action....

I cant be the first to catch this mauser bug...... Am I???

I been looking at 98 stuff all night.... And it just gets worse... I keep thinking, i want this and i want that....lol.. Starting to break out in a sweat just talking about it.... Is there a cure????

This barrel would fit the bill....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	92471 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	92472

Now if Could just fine one.... And a nice 98 action.... Maybe a good stock...

AG

If you can find a bolt, receiver etc., Rhineland arms has a "no gunsmith" .308 barrel. I do not have any personal experience with it but I have been thinking about getting one myself. I will try to post a link to their website.
    http://www.troupsystems.com/mauser%20parts.htm

Boolit Master

There can be a great deal of satisfaction in building up your own rifle. It can get expensive however, it you have tp pay someone else, or buy the tools.

May I suggest browsing the various gun auctions or even the pawn shops for a used 308 Mauser. Make sure you stay with a 98 Mauser. They usually show up from time to time.

Good luck!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    I love Mauser sporters, always have and always will. I have thrown away a bunch of money over the years on Mauser projects. I understand the appeal of having a rifle you built yourself, but the only way to make it reasonably cost effective is if you can do the work yourself....once you start farming the work out the cost goes thru the roof, plus then it is no longer a rifle you built yourself.

I agree with the other posters, buying a rifle someone else built is the way to go. Trust me, I know as I have been on both ends of those transactions.

Another option is to buy a commercial Mauser. Below is a picture of my latest Mauser 308. I bought it from a dealer on-line for $399.99 shipped to my FFL. FFL charged me $20. So I get a new commercial mauser action with an FN style bolt shroud, d/t for scope, hinged trigger guard, double set triggers (single trigger was available for the same price), walnut??? sporter stock, swivel studs, etc for way less than I could have built the rifle for.

These rifles also give you a chance to work on them yourself. Most obvious is the stock as it seems they smeared a bit of stain on them and put them on the rifle. Most can use a few coasts of your favorite stock finish, this one I stained (not stained in pic) and put a couple of coasts of tru-oil on. Some have complained the actions are rough, and they are not as smooth as a military Mauser that has been cycled a few thousand times. I think they are fine as is but you can always spend some time polishing the thing up. Attachment 92482

Boolit Buddy

I have an action here in the shop that I have already drilled and tapped. Haven't bent the bolt yet. All the metal is there.

Customer changed their mind and we used a custom action.
    So its sitting here...was going to list it on gunbroker.
    With mauser actions drying up I may be willing to sell the bolt bending jig and the heat sinks.
    Email is the best way to reach me.
    Bcgunworks@verizon.net

Boolit Buddy

I don't know why it added the http stuff before my address...just take that out

It posted correctly... I emailed ya....

Also, thanks Archey, for that barrel link.... That looks interesting...

Sorry Grinch, no pawnshops around here...lol

Careful sir, mausers are very addicting. I just added a 1944 Obendorf (sp?) to the herd. A very well done sporter I might add. The bore is in superb condition,,
    In fact I have a lead on a Argentine Calvary carbine right now as well............

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Pb2au View Post
    Careful sir, mausers are very addicting.
    A+ to this. I have three and am building an 06 on a 98 now.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    Addicting, I reckon. I have 12 mausers but only 4 are built. All others are original. I bought them for the actions only as most are good with cracked stocks.

If there's anything in the world I don't need it's another rifle but I'm wanting to build another anyway. Yes it's cheaper to buy a savage but I have one. Well what's left of one, I've changed the barrel, stock and trigger. But overall my favorite gun to hunt with is the first Mauser I built completely myself. Built on a Turk action I used a Adams & Bennett barrel in 7x57, timney trigger, gentry 3 *** safety, stock is a wood plus from Brownells. Scope is a 2x7 leopold. I'm a small man so cut this stock to fit me. It resembles a Winchester featherweight complete with schanbel forend.

Since I started using cast and I personally feel deer and cast should start at 30 cal I'm wanting to build another. I'm thinking a 338 x 60. I already have 338-06 dies I could cut down and mold, sizer, checks etc. I haven't contacted Jess yet to see if he will bore one of my 8mm to 338. This may be the deciding factor.

Since I don't go to any meetings besides this place I don't think I have an addiction! Woody
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master

When looking at M98 actions; I suggest the standard length action with a 3.2 - .3.3" magazine for the .308W. They most often give good feeding, especially with cast bullets, with the minimal tapered .308W case. While the feed rail taper is for the Mauser cartridges the longer gentler sloped feed of the longer action allows cartridge head to come up under the extractor and pop out of the feed rails aligning the bullet with the chamber.

I've found most shorter M98 actions like the M48 Yugo's will give feeding problems unless the feed rails are opened up for the minimal tapered .308W case. If not the 2nd or 3rd rim many times will not come up high enough for the bolt bottom to catch it, especially with fire formed NS'd cases as the shoulder of the case is fatter. The feed rails are made for the more tapered Mauser cartridges and additionally many FN nose cast bullets will catch on the side of the chamber jamming and deforming the cast bullet or pushing it back into the case. Some shorter actions feed fine but most don't, it's a cr*p shoot.

Larry Gibson

Git you a synthetic stock, better for AK, and this is about what you can end up with: http://www.gunsinternational.com/MAU...n_id=100357005

Moderator Emeritus

My 'gunshow' neighbor is a Mauser artist, at least that's what I call him.
    For each of these, I have traded a Leupold scope and some cash ta-boot. (we're talkin' about $700 to $800 of value for each) While there is something about making it yourself, if you're capable (I am not). Then there is something about a good friend making it for you...as opposed to some random gunsmith.

358 Win with 1909 argentine receiver...traded for in 2013

257 Robt with a Belgian receiver...traded for in 2012

257 Robt with a German 98 reciever made in Loewe...traded for in 2011
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Wow.. great stuff guys...... really neat info as well....

Thanks for the advice also, but I suffer from A.I.S. (Alaskan Independence Syndrome ) so I will be doing it myself.. one way or the other....

AG

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    I love Mauser sporters, always have and always will. I have thrown away a bunch of money over the years on Mauser projects. I understand the appeal of having a rifle you built yourself, but the only way to make it reasonably cost effective is if you can do the work yourself....once you start farming the work out the cost goes thru the roof, plus then it is no longer a rifle you built yourself.

I agree with the other posters, buying a rifle someone else built is the way to go. Trust me, I know as I have been on both ends of those transactions.

Another option is to buy a commercial Mauser. Below is a picture of my latest Mauser 308. I bought it from a dealer on-line for $399.99 shipped to my FFL. FFL charged me $20. So I get a new commercial mauser action with an FN style bolt shroud, d/t for scope, hinged trigger guard, double set triggers (single trigger was available for the same price), walnut??? sporter stock, swivel studs, etc for way less than I could have built the rifle for.

These rifles also give you a chance to work on them yourself. Most obvious is the stock as it seems they smeared a bit of stain on them and put them on the rifle. Most can use a few coasts of your favorite stock finish, this one I stained (not stained in pic) and put a couple of coasts of tru-oil on. Some have complained the actions are rough, and they are not as smooth as a military Mauser that has been cycled a few thousand times. I think they are fine as is but you can always spend some time polishing the thing up. Attachment 92482

Very nice!!!
    Could you tell us who you ordered that rifle from? There's nothing better than a double set trigger on a high power.

forrest r

Boolit Master
    forrest, sent you a PM with the info.

Boolit Master
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Master
    Dont forget if you like Mauser actions look at them all.

Military 98s as well as Springfields, Interarms, FN, Ruger M77s Tang safetys etc.

Whatever you do dont buy the Axis! A real action and real trigger smokes those things!