RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: 1903-A3 stock

Boolit Buddy

1903-A3 stock

I recently purchased a rifle with butchered stock. I have priced original stocks, wood replacements, and have seem polymer sporter stocks.

I am thinking that this would make a nice rifle for longer ranges in case SHTF. In that case, a polymer stock would be good. Talking to SARCO, while ordering a rear sight, I was informed that they have polymer drill rifle stocks, and with stock and a metal parts kit, it would be affordable.

But I am wondering if they were ever designed for firing, or if the addition of the cross bolt would make them so.

Anybody know anything about drill rifle stocks?
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Sorry, I don't know too much about polymer stocks as I've only handled one at a gun show (and didn't much care for it). Considering you said longer ranges and it's a 30-06, you do realize you'll get beat on more if the stock is lighter and that steel buttplate is not comfy with full ball ammo. The poly handguard is quite serviceable though.

Le Loup Solitaire
    You might try Gun parts Corporation (formerly Numerich) located in West Hurley N.Y. Don't know if they are the cheapest game in town, but they are reputed to have the largest parts stock around; for most Milsurps. LLS

Boolit Master
    I had a poly stock, it was built for drill purposes IIRC. Most parts do not fit well and it is a pliable type of plastic that it is made from. Kind of like what they make inexpensive outdoor lawn items with like large heavy pails, etc.

Boolit Bub
    I have a fiberglass(?) A3 stock that is no longer in use. It is a full stock with handgaurd, stock is green with black splatter like the Bell & Carlson's have. Trying to find a link for a picture but not having any luck on my phone, will find one when I get home tonight.

Such stocks were not intended for a firing rifle. I sure would not want to be the first on my block to try it.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with Char-Gar, I would not want to use one of the drill rifle stocks unless it was the only thing available.

All of the 1903 plastic drill rifle stocks I saw when we pulled them back from the honor guards for inventory looked sorta kinda like they were made from the same grade of plastic the M-14 stocks were; but they did not fit the rifles actions or other metal parts well. I think they might be tough enough for use, but it would take a lot of bedding compound to make a useable stock out of one.

Another thing, all the ones I can remember were straight gripped, not even the scant pistol grip.

Bottom line those stocks were made for practicing rifle drill to prevent breaking the good looking walnut stock when some yahoo tried to bury the buttplate 2" into the pavement of the grinder because he didn't realize he grabbed the rifle too close to the muzzle.

One more thing, the ones I saw are a fugly brown color.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have a few that came in a pile years ago. Kind of like Rubbermaid/Tupperware like stuff, some of them have warped several inches just sitting. As Char-Gar said, these are not for shooting. They are for Drilling. Gtek

Boolit Master

Boolit Bub
    Yep, no go on the one I had. Came on a rifle years ago, first thing I did when opening box was replace with a Sarco walnut set. After looking at it, it was a fugly brown, flimsy, drill rifle stock that was painted green.

Boolit Grand Master

I got the CMP C set for mine and it was almost drop in. All I needed to do was thin it some to get the barrel bands on. It's not fiberglass but it does make a nice gun!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

DuPage Trading in Chandler Az might have some stocks available. Boyd's Stocks are also reasonanbly priced and only take a little work to get them to fit your gun properly.

Boolit Master
    Northridge Intl. in CA had GI new contractor non issued/no stamp in several configs for a buck eighty fiveish. Gtek

Boolit Master

Those stocks at Northridge are $215 right now, scant or straight. $379 for C style.