RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: .444 optics

Boolit Bub

.444 optics

I've got a .444 made in 71 with a 24 inch micro grove barrel that has the factory iron sights. This does not swing up to the shoulder well due to its weight. I dont want to add any more weight to it than necessary, but i would like something with some magnification. I was considering an acog style but much cheaper lol. I like this style since its easy to find running game looking thru this, where a regular scope isnt as friendly. I do not want a red dot sight, i want regular cross hairs. Anyone know of something on the market worth considering?

Boolit Master

I like the Leupold 1 x 4 shotgun scope on the Marlin lever rifles. About $200 or so as I remember and I think I bought them from
    Cabelas with free shipping. I am thinking of having one of them changed to standard duplex from the heavy duplex they come with.
    Good luck,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    I too had a leupold vari x II 1x4 on a 1895ss in 45-70. Killed one little meat deer with it, before selling said rifle to get something else, wish I hadn't adone that.
    But the scope was a most versatile optic for said rifle, on 1x it had a huge field of view and 4x was all one needs with a hunting rifle at woods ranges.
    I have a Ruger no. 1 now in 45-70 with a 2.5x8 leupold on it, it too is a great scope but if I had my pick I think I like the 1x4 better for this application due to the fact it's smaller and lighter. 308w

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, i'll look into it.

Boolit Master
    VX-1 2x7x33 on too many of mine. One little trick- keeping both eyes open and on target when shouldering weapon. Still have both eyes open? Now close the other eye and I bet you are real close. Slide out back and practice a little on something about 80 yards or so and pretty soon it becomes second nature. Gtek

Boolit Master
    My 2001 ballard rifled custom stocked 444 has a new Redfield 3-9 on top !
    My circa 1967 reblued refinished 444 has a 1960's Weaver V7 on top .
    My circa 1966 Retro 444P has a Weaver K3 of 1970's vintage .

On the others I have old Redfields or Weavers . Weaver V8 , KV , K2.5 , K3 Redfield 1 3/4-5 or 1-4 .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I picked up two Zastava rifles in 375H&H and 458WM with Weaver 1-3 x 20 scopes on them. One will be moving to my 336 (30/30) and the other to my 444. They are a nice scope and I can't imagine them being very expensive. I also have a Leupold 1.5 -4 (or 5, can't remember), it is a great scope as well, but a bit dearer. I would prefer them with thicker crosshairs for dawn and dusk hunting in close cover, but you have to cut your cloth according to the width as my Mum used to say.

The big un's will get a mixture of sights, the 375 a 2-7 Leupold or a 3-9 and the 458 will end up with a peep sight (made from angle iron most likely). It probably won't see any hunting, but will be used in Big Game Rifle competition. That's the plan, but these things are fluid, lol.

One thing with not shouldering the rifle easily, along with the good advice above (and this applies to handguns as well), don't move your head, keep looking at the target and bring the rifle up and it will be on target. The target is still (hopefully), the rifle is moving and if you keep you head erect and still, you have two out of three covered. If you practice this, the rifle will automatically line up in the 'sweet zone' and the sights will be on. Checkout Youtube, Jerry Micaluk is a good place to start, won't see him bobbing his well worn head about.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 12-31-2013 at 08:32 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Consider a Leupy 2.5x ultra light or the 3x long tube? SWFA or Leupolds custom shop are the only place to get the 3x.
    Father, fool, friend.

Boolit Master
    I have a Leupold VX-3 1.5X5 on my Marlin 444 and my Marlin 1895 .45/70..I like those scopes because they are light and fairly compact . I would also look at the Leupold VX R 1.25X4 Illuminate dot Duplex.