Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Question about range lead?

Boolit Buddy

Question about range lead?

I have an opportunity to buy some range lead for scrap price. I can get lead from a .22 indoor rifle range or get mixed lead, from an indoor pistol range, which includes .22 - .45 factory bullets, copper plated, home cast lead and FMJ. Is there an advantage to purchasing one over the other, as far as lead quality for recasting? I realize I would have to deal with the copper if I chose the latter.

Boolit Grand Master
    From an indoor range the copper jackets won't be an issue. They will be on bits and pieces in many cases, depends upon the backstop design.

The mixed handgun is likely to be a bit harder than all 22 but it will be a minimal difference.

Get the cheaper one. I use lots of mixed range scrap and have good results with it.

I use range lead for .357 and .45 Colt CAS loads, for 1 oz Lee slugs for 12 gauge shotgun and also for 360 grain bullets for .454 Casull without any problems. Sometimes I get the range lead (with all the dirt from the range) for free from a friend, sometimes I buy it (clean) as ingots. Only for black powder loads for my sharps I use a 30:1 lead to tin mixture.

Boolit Master
    You will get more lead per pound from the 22 lead, it should be softer. You will get 18-22% scrap from the mixed bullet range. Now that scrap contains copper which is worth money. If your going for lead per pound, the 22 lead is the way to go.

Boolit Master

There's good reasons for buying both.

The .22 lead is going to be pretty soft stuff, and will probably be VERY consistent in composition and hardness from one visit to the next. This is VERY nice to have on hand for when you get batches of scrap linotype, reclaimed birdshot, etc. . .that need to be softened up. Also good if you shoot a lot of low/mid velocity handgun - might be able to use it as is.

Generic range scrap is going to vary depending on what is popular at that particular range. The cores of most jacketed bullets are pretty soft; most store-bought bulk cast bullets sold to reloaders are pretty hard. I always pick up spent shotgun slugs (usually pretty soft) because it's more efficient than bending over to pick up a .22. So as you can imagine, the final product will vary, but you can usually count on a hardness that is appropriate for about 1000fps - maybe more if you water quench. The copper jackets float to the top where you can skim it off with a tempura "spider"
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Will your local scrapper accept bullet brass? and what will they pay for it?
    ....Mine won't accept bullet brass or cartridge brass. Other places do.
    Jackets skim really easily, but you will have to store them and deal with selling them. Fuel may enter into your consideration.
    A consideration with .22 range lead may be fines or splatter. When they clean the .22 only range, near me, it's a full hazmat operation.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't assume that the jackets are worth much. Some are getting good money for them, I got 11 cents a pound. Not worth the hassle of dealing with them.

I would get either one, which is priced better? Get lots, it stores well.

Boolit Master
    If the price is right I would get what you think you are going to need in the future. I think about powder, primers, cases, and how much cheaper things are now than they were ten years ago. What do you need for future, how long will you need it? I do not think it is going to get any cheaper. If you do not have a source in the future how much is it worth? I am not in the Doe Run/sky is falling crowd, somewhere between investment and prepper. Gtek

Boolit Grand Master
    Lead should be hoarded, I sure plan to. Not because of fear that it will be outlawed but because the cost will go up. It stores well and I know I will need it anyway.