WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OMG! bullet pullers

Boolit Master

Good to know, I'll have to start being more careful with mine. I have an older one (aluminum handle) that I have beat the daylights out of on concrete for 20 years, many hundreds of rounds. I figured it was indestructible.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Ok, how do you know that?

Rick
    Mine was working great until I decided to hit something more solid like a brick. The brick won. The plastic body flew into several pieces. I replaced it and have only used it on wood since and everything has been OK since.

i found it is much easier to pull cast bulllloets than jwords. jwords can take up to 3 very hard hits and cast can be done in one hit.

i just got an email from battenfileds, that they will send me something in the mail in a week or so. i dont know if its a cap or a whole new puller. im glad they are doing the right thing.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Good to know, I'll have to start being more careful with mine. I have an older one (aluminum handle) that I have beat the daylights out of on concrete for 20 years, many hundreds of rounds. I figured it was indestructible.
    Mine had an aluminum handle. Think it might have been RCBS but not certain.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive used the RCBS inertia puller for many years with decent results. Dont use it real often though. I cut a piece of oak tree trunk roughly 18"-2' in dia around 18" tall to use as an "anvil for it and other hammering needs. This block is very solid sitting on the floor and dosnt give alot, especially now after many years of curing out. How you hit the hammer type makes a big diffrence on getting bullets pulled. Lighter bullets dont have the momentum to carry them through as well as heavy bullets. Try letting the hammer "bounce up" on the blow.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I have one of the aluminum handled ones also , had it over 20 years , replaced one o-ring for the 3peice collet , other than that the thing seems indestructible . I usually hit an old cinder block with it . Everyone says that the 3 piece collet sucks and to use shell holders but I still use the collet and it seems to work good. I guess I lucked out and got a good one ,

Quote Originally Posted by saphelps View Post
    My granddaughter (3 yr old) came into garage and said, "Papa, I want to help." Who ever turns down help?

Loaded the puller with some dummy casts I was using to set OAL and crimp. Showed her how to hit the wood step (table was way to high) and she tap tap tap and nothing so I showed her how to hit harder. After a few more taps, I told her to try it on the concrete floor.

Popped a bullet, handed the puller to "Papa" since she knew not to touch the lead and reloaded another. More tap tap tap on the concrete and told me she can't do it. Told her to hit it harder and she can. BAM on the side and poor girl cracked the neck. She got upset so I took it, gave her a hug. "I'll buy you one for Christmas, Papa."

Took her to Cabelas, never bought anything, came home, and finished up with the RCBS bullet puller. She won't let me pull the press handle. That's her job. Now to get her to hold the pull of handle until fingers are out of the way...

Ok, not related, but had to share the story.

Before anyone calls child services, she has her own tiny gloves and wears her kids shooting glasses. I'll give her a few more years and soon I may be watching tv while reloads are going on in the garage LOL
    Sounds like my house. My grandkids always want to help so I let them pull the handle a few times and then they're happy. Al least they take an interest in reloading and shooting.
    Life member NRA since 1976

IMO, FA makes some pretty crappy stuff. Buy better, it will last longer. I have an RCBS form about 20yrs ago, still works after several bushing replacements. Use a piece of outdoor carpet on the concrete, works great.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I have used this RCBS puller for about 5 or 6 years. It did not hold up to some heavy crimped 44 mag. This happened a few months ago, I had taken a picture to email to RCBS, hoping they might just send a new one. No such luck, had to be shipped back for replacement. I did cut the handle in half and shipped in small box for about $2. They sent a new one. lighter crimps and hammer softly
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	puller.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	90930

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a 3 lb. block of soft lead to pound on. I have 2 FA beaters (surest way to find something is to buy another) that have done pretty well for me. My only observation is that light bullets (under 100 grains) are an even bigger pain in the butt than their larger brethren.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I've been using a Midway(before FA) for several years. I just whack it on my bench top. The top is made from 2' thick electrical grade particle board. I haven't even dented it and the puller is as good as new(I think).
    John
    W.TN

i got a brand new puller sent from battenfield. I really didnt mind that. all i wanted was a new screw cap.

Boolit Buddy
    im going to get one of these
    http://grip-n-pull.com/
    i hate my inertia puller

Boolit Master
    Post #29, isn't the cartridge in the collet backwards? I use mine with the dome up so that the retaining cap actually tightens the collet around the body of the cartridge below the case rim. And the flat portion of the collet is against the flat part of the "hammer". And it broke?
    Dusty

Vendor Sponsor

I have been using the same RCBS puller for the last 30 years. I don't use it every day, but anytime I'm setting up a progressive I use it to recycle components on the setup pieces.

I bet I've hit that thing on the Cement floor at least a thousand times, and probably more.

The harder the surface you hit is the more inertia is transferred to the bullet. IE quicker stop.

Mine is the older style that has the steel shank in the handle.

I have also pulled some Wolf factory .223's with it, and it usually takes 4-5 hits to dislodge the bullet.

If you are going to pull more than a few bullets you probably need a collet style puller.

The bullet recyclers don't use inertia pullers.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Vendor Sponsor

Hornady makes the best collet puller I have found .. little expensive but you get want you pay for..adjusted correctly and no pull marks at all.. tried RCBS and Bair. They work but were much slower..
    hammer pullers are being made of much less quality today than just a few years ago..
    been thru several Midway (franklin) and RCBS in the last couple years.. now if I need to pull more that 5 or 6 it will be with the Hornady
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

it is backwards. but i dont see that causing the neck to break like that though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Get a Hornady collet puller. Jackets or cast??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin