WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: " New Style " Lee 2 cavity mold

Boolit Grand Master

" New Style " Lee 2 cavity mold

My friend Nick purchased a " New Style " Lee 2 cavity , 38/357 , 148 gr. wadcutter mold.

When it arrived, I told him that I'd help him to " Lement " the mold.

As was expected, the sprue plate was way too tight, the edges of the sprue plate looked like saw teeth.

After about 10-15 minutes of " Lee - Menting " that rough sprue plate and polishing the edges of the plate , the mold was cleaned with aerosol brake cleaner, the underside of the sprue plate lubed lightly with Bullplate lube and the mold was re-assembled.

We ran the mold through a few warm up cycles, within about 10 - 15 casting cycles, we had about a 5% rejection rate, the rest looked GREAT!

We let them cool and put a mic on them, they measured 3579" X 3588 ". Considering the mold cost $19.00, I'd say that is a pretty good feather in Lee's Quality Control Hat ! !

Both cavities cast bullets that had the same identical micrometer readings. The bullets jump out of the mold also, no sticking at all.

This is my friend Nick's 1st Lee mold purchase, looks like he got a good one ( he is a bit new to bullet casting ) .

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 12-18-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Banned

For $20.00 what a deal. I have the same mold, and everything you said needs to be done. After that, it is all good and it is the best $20.00 you ever spent.

Lee molds are what they are. It's a Krapshoot, and if you do get a good one, then you have to finish it off.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Grand Master
    The intent of my original post wasn't to say that Lee molds are a better buy or a better mold than Mold " X" or Mold " Y ".

I simply wanted to point out that my friend invested $19.00 and about 20 minutes of my time and now has a very nice mold that meets his needs very well. In today's economy that is a hard combination to beat.

Some individuals aren't very adapt at " fine tuning " a Lee mold, might be a good idea for these casters to stand clear of Lee molds and go for an RCBS, an old IDEAL, or an NOE or some other mold that would most likely throw a good bullet quickly and without all the " fine tuning ."

We all pay our money, we all make our choices.
    Last edited by Ben; 12-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Boolit Master
    Yep........I've had Lee molds and knowing there could be some TLC needed to them through some "Leementing" they do cast quite well and are a really good buy especially with the new design change to the double cavity molds.

Boolit Master
    I just received two of the new style Lee molds and I have to say they appear to be a distinct improvement over the old style. Will be casting with them today to find out.

UPDATE:

Just finished casting about 50 452-255RF out of one of the new molds. Worked well, nice looking boolits EXCEPT they came out at .449-.451. Too far undersize to work. I may try to lap out the mold later but for now I am going back and order an NOE. Should have done so the first time.
    Last edited by Bohica793; 12-20-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Yep........I've had Lee molds and knowing there could be some TLC needed to them through some "Leementing" they do cast quite well and are a really good buy especially with the new design change to the double cavity molds.
    You're correct. I'd hate to see people throw the baby out with the wash water.

Ben

I probably shouldn't have said anything. I guess I'm still a little bugged with the last 2 Lee molds I bought that were both bad ones, and you mentioned "a pretty good feather in Lee's quality control Cap". For the price I didn't mind finishing them off or (Leementing them as it's called here). It was just part of the deal. No amount of Leementing was going to fix those 2 molds. Maybe this is a good sign that the quality control is really improving on their molds.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with Ben...So far I have gotten three of the "new" double cavities and very pleased with them all. Quality has improved. For $20.00 which includes handles, I dont mind smoothing up a few rough edges and being careful when I cast with them. Actually that's what I do with all my moulds.
    Gary

Banned

If Lee Precision sent out a bad mold then send it back. They will make it right.

Super Moderator

Ben,

I recently got one of the new ones too. My sprue plate was so sharp out of the box it was carving huge scratches across the top of the mold. A few minutes with the dremel tool and it was good to go. Like you said...$20 is a good bargain.

Boolit Grand Master

Bohica, I have that mold also and you might have to open up the fill hole. Mine looked ok, but were not entirely filled out.

I spoke with Andy Lee this week about the sharp edge on the sprue plates again. He had his workers trying a method of running the edge of the plate over a harder steel to burnish it but it obviously does not work. He is addressing the issue.
    I remove the sprue plate before opening a new mold now but most still have scars on the top already.

Boolit Master
    I'll give that try. The rounds look to be filled out but you never know (and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be....)

UPDATE: Opened the sprue holes to 3/16 from 1/8 and still no joy. I'll keep playing with it but this one looks like a loser so fair, which is a shame since the overall mold looks quite good.

Boolit Grand Master

Bohica, If you can't get it to work give Andy Lee a call at 262-673-3075

Boolit Grand Master
    Bohica793

Worked well, nice looking boolits EXCEPT they came out at .449-.451.

That isn't within Lee's warranty specs for their molds.

You'll get a new mold if you'll send it back.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    I just received two of the new style Lee molds and I have to say they appear to be a distinct improvement over the old style. Will be casting with them today to find out.

UPDATE:

Just finished casting about 50 452-255RF out of one of the new molds. Worked well, nice looking boolits EXCEPT they came out at .449-.451. Too far undersize to work. I may try to lap out the mold later but for now I am going back and order an NOE. Should have done so the first time.

I have a Lee 452-255 SWC and most of the time, the boolits come out at .452-453" Sometimes, I'll find some that drop at .454" I'm just using COWW