RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JB paste Any Good?

Boolit Bub

JB paste Any Good?

Seen JB paste advertised to clean out and prevent barrels from fouling. Anyone use this and does it work.Thanks..

It's good for what it's for. I don't see it preventing bore deposits. Also good for mild fire lapping (paper patch).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    I use it for deep cleaning when I have got a real fouling problem. I agree with leftiye in that I cannot see it preventing fouling other than a dirty gun tends to get dirtier. I have used it on very fine match barrels with no apparent reduction in service life so I think that the lapping action is very mild. Some match shooters would cut off an arm rather than use it and some can't live without it. go figure

Many years ago a couple of friends and I would take a two week holiday trip to Alberta to shoot gophers and one of my favorite rifles for that sport was a single shot, solid floorplate Savage 112 in .220 Swift. (I also had the same rifle in .223 Remington) Since I was shooting the .220 Swift at "full throttle" (with mighty spectacular results on those little gophers I might add!) I soon found that I had jacket fouling issues at about 40 round intervals. I started using JB Bore Paste to clean the barrel and it was the only product available at the time that I ever found that would quickly and easily cure my fouling problems in that rifle. Later when I started shooting .17 Remington and .17 Remington Improved I found the same thing. I never had any issue with the JB causing bore wear ... I caused any bore wear that was eventually evident due to the number of rounds I'd shot out of those rifles!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The benchrest crowd has been using Kroil and JB for cleaning for at least 30 years. Nothing new about this.

Should be routine in cut rifled milsurp barrels having a surface finish or 16 microinch RMS (root mean square) or greater.

http://www.a-i-t.com/surface-finish-comparison-chart
    http://www.engineersedge.com/manufac...conversion.htm

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    A buddy (a not too bright one at that) found some JB in the store and used to clean.

Unfortunately it was 5 minute JB WELD!

don't ask!

banger

Heat!
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all your replies, great stories too. I like the JB Weld story-The 1st and last time cleaning.

Reverend Al, a 220 Swift, this is my favorite varmit getter.

Thanks
    Again

Boolit Grand Master

Well it tastes pretty bad but it gets your teeth really clean.

Used it for years with no problems.

Boolit Master
    Have used JB once in a while over the years. No negatives that I can determine. Have found Remington Bore Cleaner to do about the same work in a little easier-to-use form... very fine compound suspended in light oil.

JB has worked well for final fire lapping of muzzleloader bores by simply smearing JB directly on a cloth patch or applied to a conical.

Used on my Mosin, just haven't used enough of it yet!

Boolit Grand Master
    Good stuff

Boolit Man
    It works well for me but I do not use it a lot, mainly like stated above - when I have bad fouling.

JB works well on deep cleans. I've found that the better the jag/patch fits the better it works. The first few times I used it I didn't have the right jag/patch combo and it still worked, but took more effort.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

The oldtimers recomended a brush for a jag and patch wrapped around it. Gave a very tight fit in the bore and JB was very effective that way. I have used the phosphor bronze brushes and swithed to Nylon brushwes recently.

Boolit Man
    Yep, the better the jag the more of the paste that contacts the barrel.

I use it, like it and in new barrel I think it cuts down the number of break-in shots. But you are trying to prove a negative with new barrels, that barrel may not have need as many shots. I use as directed by JB borebrite suggests.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    The oldtimers recomended a brush for a jag and patch wrapped around it. Gave a very tight fit in the bore and JB was very effective that way. I have used the phosphor bronze brushes and swithed to Nylon brushwes recently.
    I did this to all my milsurps and they look a lot better.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    As a side note it works great for lee-menting ...Lee moulds!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington