MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Vintage Winchester 1892 , 38-40 Back In Service!

Boolit Master

Vintage Winchester 1892 , 38-40 Back In Service!

I spent a snowbound day in the shop renovating an old 1892 Winchester in 38-40 that I picked up a while ago for cheap money.

A few new parts, a barrel reline, all nice new screws and a forearm repair. Wasn't feeding or ejecting when I started.......Now it runs beautifully!

Can't wait to take it out to the range and shoot it!

I wrote a little article with pictures on my web site.

Hope you enjoy it!

www.rvbprecision.com
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

I went and read your article and enjoyed it. I'd love to have a 92 or reproduction thereof one day.

hats off to you for saving this old girl to shoot another day. she will tell you things if you listen, but I will bet that you know that already .P .S. great work

Le Loup Solitaire
    Some time ago I acquired a 73 in 38-40. The gun is in excellent shape. I got a mold, Lyman #40103 that Lyman claimed was the original bullet. I suppose that it was, but it was designed for use with black powder and crimping (roll) behind the front band when using non-black powder made the round too long to feed thru the 73 cartridge carrier. I then bought and used a Lee crimping die that applied a tight crimp on the case mouth...on the front of the front band....this solved the feeding problem, but 38-40 brass is pretty thin in the necks and the brass started to get beat up. I solved the problem by shortening the cases enough to be able to crimp behind the front band and that worked ok. Rifle shoots well...accurate with 15 grains of 4227...2-3" at 100 yards, burns clean, no leading. I have a Ruger "Buckeye" BH that shoots 38-40 as well so it is a companion piece for the 73. Its a good cartridge and if they ever stop making the brass, it is said that you can reform your own from either the 44-40 or the 45 colt. Good shooting. LLS

Boolit Master
    I have a whole bunch of 38-40 firarms as stated in the article I wrote. I love this cartridge. I too went through the whole Lyman bullet thing. Seems everyone that get involved with this cartridge walks down that path....

The RCBS 180g bullet is now my Go To bullet in all the guns. The crimp groove is in the correct place and extremely accurate.

It's interesting that 100 years later we are back to the exact same performing cartridge as the 38-40.....The 40 S&W. Same diameter, same bullet weight, same velocity!

Starline just formed a whole mess of brass. Very available.

BTW, I tried forming 38-40 from 45LC....No Go. The brass was simply too thick. Wouldn't form for me.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Since the.38-40 is a necked down .44-40, .429 down to .401, I guess .44-40 is the case to try.

I've been using Missouri Bullets 180g .401 "Cowboy #10" in my original 1873, and it seems to like them fine. 5g of Trailboss gets 'em downrange with virtually no recoil. Mild enough load for this 125 year old veteran.

great looking gun and a good story that's y I love this fourm

Boolit Master
    Nice!
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

I hope to hear how well it shoots once things warm up a bit.

I also love the 38-40. I really enjoyed reading how you saved that one.
    NRA Life Member