WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lee primer seating tool (square primer tray & red cast body)

New Lee primer seating tool (square primer tray & red cast body)

I ordered & recently one of the new Lee handheld primer seating tools (square primer tray & red cast body). It requires the special shellholders (not the press type) I ordered the shellholder set also.

I tried it out for the first time last night. I had an older batch of PMC .308 brass w/ very tight pockets. I seated Tula primers. The tool worked flawlessly. Changing shellholders or the primer tray is simpler then the RCBS tool. Though the RCBS tool works perfect also.

Boolit Master

Not a surprise to me...Lee makes very fine products at great prices.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Banned

The new Lee Precision Ergo Prime. I want one to go with my three old round tray models. Uses the same shell holders so I'm set there. Uses fingers, not thumb, ergo/therefore, "ergo" aka ergonomic. I like the Lee Precision Red powder coat.
    Last edited by jmort; 09-29-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    That must be the new ergo prime they are selling. I have the chrome one with the square primer trays, and it has worked good for several thousand rounds, but you have to pay attention that the primers come up straight, and in the right orientation. Other than that it is a good tool. It's nice to be able to leisurely inspect, and prime cases while watching Breaking Bad.

Boolit Master

I have one of the older models and the only kickback I have out of a hundred or so primers there is still one or two that have to be turned by hand. lol

Boolit Mold
    Unfortunately, I do not share your enthusiasm for the Lee Ergo primer. Last night, I was hand priming some 9mm and 38 spl brass with Tula primers. Rarely could I go more than 20 rounds before the primer would be turned on it side and not fed into the ram. When I heard the plastic cover pop up, I knew I had to completely remove the cover and fix the primer that was on it side or stacked on top of another primer. I have to make sure that a primer is fed onto the ram before I put the brass in the shell holder, because the primer does not always feed completely on the ram. Before the Lee, I was using a Sinclair hand primer. The Sinclair primer does not have a primer tray, so you handle one primer at a time. I've tried to hold the Lee Ergo in different ways but this did not solve the problem with the primers on their side or even upside down. Maybe as time goes by, I'll figure out why the primes go on their side but for now it is very frustrating.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lxk308 View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not share your enthusiasm for the Lee Ergo primer. Last night, I was hand priming some 9mm and 38 spl brass with Tula primers. Rarely could I go more than 20 rounds before the primer would be turned on it side and not fed into the ram. When I heard the plastic cover pop up, I knew I had to completely remove the cover and fix the primer that was on it side or stacked on top of another primer. I have to make sure that a primer is fed onto the ram before I put the brass in the shell holder, because the primer does not always feed completely on the ram. Before the Lee, I was using a Sinclair hand primer. The Sinclair primer does not have a primer tray, so you handle one primer at a time. I've tried to hold the Lee Ergo in different ways but this did not solve the problem with the primers on their side or even upside down. Maybe as time goes by, I'll figure out why the primes go on their side but for now it is very frustrating.
    Insert the name RCBS in there and I've had the same problems. I have noticed the chute that feeds from the tray on mine is angled down and I think that allows enough room for them to move too much since it's the SPP's I have issue. It's like the tray was molded that way though as it has never been dropped and even if I set the whole thing down then the hand primer body is leaning down on the tray which would bend it upwards. No telling.

Boolit Master
    More than 12,000 cases primed with the Ergo Prime, never a problem. Yes, you need to pay attention so the primers don't stack on top of each other and force the lid off. But I don't mind paying attention. Gotta pay somebody............

Quote Originally Posted by Bjornb View Post
    More than 12,000 cases primed with the Ergo Prime, never a problem. Yes, you need to pay attention so the primers don't stack on top of each other and force the lid off. But I don't mind paying attention. Gotta pay somebody............
    Gotta pay somebody..GOOD ONE!

Yes, it's the new Ergo Prime, I have not had a problem either. Yes, you need to pay attention no matter what phase of reloading is involved!

Ixk308: Um, maybe you could just put a stout rubber band around the primer tray & cover un the side near the tool?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The new Lee primer tool works perfectly. So good, I have one for small primers and one for large primers. That way I don't waste time changing trays!

I highly recommend it.

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lxk308 View Post
    I know what your saying, but I have found that if you hold it so the tray is at about a 60 degree angle it works pretty good. I also use the thumb on my left hand to sort of hold the top of the tray down where it feeds the primers in helps a lot. I make sure that the primer is in the proper position every time before I put the case in place to prevent any mishaps. And lastly I just apply enough pressure on the handle to firmly seat the primers, it seems if you really crank on the handle that's when the cover seems most likely to pop loose and it just doesn't take that much pressure to properly seat the primers with this tool anyway. Once you get the hang of this tool and use a little care it works great. I can usually prime a couple hundred at a time and maybe have one slight misfeed and most of the time no misfeeds at all.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have one of the new ergo square trays - it works like a charm. I love it! I hold mine the same way as jetinteriorguy does - I at first had a little problem with the tray cover "popping" but after about 50 primers through it, got it figured out. Now it all runs smoothly and makes quick work of the priming.

Well, devil. I haven't figured out how to keep the top from popping off yet. Gave up on it a while back and went back to the old round tray version. It's been working good for 30 years or so now. Was thinking of cannibalizing the new ones if the old one needs parts. Guess I'll give the new one another go if you guys say it works.

Banned

I'm wondering if there's a casting burr on the end of the feed chute that snags the anvil and flips it over occasionally. I've used the old ones for over 20 years and have never, ever once had a primer flip sideways or upside down, and only double-stroked it once or twice. Much of the use was with SPP.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Airman Basic - you might give Lee a call and see what they have to say about it. When I furst used mine, I had the same problem and like gear masher said, I too thought there might be a burr. I took my tray off and looked at both pieces of the tray and couldn't see anything using a magnifier. After I started holding it as suggested and placing my left thumb on top of the tray near the shell holder and my left index finger underneath as I squeezed with my right hand, the "popping" of the top of the tray seemed to stop. I don't know if by doing so the small rod that comes up and holds the primers back so only one feeds just wore the plastic enough so it didn't stick or what but after the first 100 primers or so, mine seems to works as smooth as silk. I still hold my left thumb and forefunger around the trya though. In the beginning, I was getting some primer flip when the top of the trap popped. Now, they all seem to run fine with no problem right down to the last one in the tray. Play with it and I think you'll see an improvement after a while. If not, see what Lee says as I'm sure they will be helpful.

I just used mine to seat large rifle magnum primers in some 300 win mag brass. Worked flawlessly. I have used it for small pistol primers also. The small will occasionally pop the primer tray lid off, but no flipped or sideways primers

I have an old one it works pretty good, but I use a Dillon 99.9% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Airman Basic - you might give Lee a call and see what they have to say about it. When I furst used mine, I had the same problem and like gear masher said, I too thought there might be a burr. I took my tray off and looked at both pieces of the tray and couldn't see anything using a magnifier. After I started holding it as suggested and placing my left thumb on top of the tray near the shell holder and my left index finger underneath as I squeezed with my right hand, the "popping" of the top of the tray seemed to stop. I don't know if by doing so the small rod that comes up and holds the primers back so only one feeds just wore the plastic enough so it didn't stick or what but after the first 100 primers or so, mine seems to works as smooth as silk. I still hold my left thumb and forefinger around the tray though. In the beginning, I was getting some primer flip when the top of the trap popped. Now, they all seem to run fine with no problem right down to the last one in the tray. Play with it and I think you'll see an improvement after a while. If not, see what Lee says as I'm sure they will be helpful.
    That makes sense. Sort of like breaking in a new firearm. I'll try that.

Boolit Man

Thanks for all the info, I enjoyed using the old round ones, has to be a lot better just dumping you primer tray into the new square design, and it sure is faster than priming the casings on the single stage press. I May have to give them a try.

Boolit Man
    Mine works great, so far the best priming tool I have used. The only problem I have is getting the shell holders.