RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Percussion Handguns?????

Boolit Bub
    Beng, if you are not too confused or disgusted by all this, my advise is if possible get together with someone that shoots Cap and Ball Revolvers and try some of their guns. If no one is available than perhaps buy a gun to your liking from Cabella's (on sale at the moment and inexpensive even when not on sale) and spend an afternoon shooting. See if you enjoy this style of firearm.
    Forget about the personal preferences of others about brands and Colt vs Remington patterns. They both have their pluses and minuses; I own both and like/dislike certain things about both. You can make your own judgments. Same goes for powder, subs vs the "Holy Black" some have strong feelings (I could care less, If dog poop makes it go bang and put the lead where I want I would use it).
    Good Luck and have fun.

Boolit Man

Beng, if you haven't made your purchase already, I would suggest as others have that you get with someone that owns a Cap and Ball and shoot theirs first. Doesn't really matter what it is, and whether they shoot it with the black alternatives or the real thing, just like the type of pistol you decide on, what you use to make it go boom will be a personal decision you will have to make. You can handle all the various models in a good gun shop and decide what you like best, but before you spend the money on what you want, get a sense of what it means to shoot one. It's not just the loading and shooting you have to consider, you need to clean one as well, if that doesn't scare you off, and you like it as much as I figure you will, then you can narrow down your choice on make and model and make a purchase.

Boolit Master
    The .36 1851 Navy is the most enjoyable of the Cap&Ball revolvers to shoot and just to look at and admire the lines of the design.
    The 1861 Navy and its little brother the pocket and police five shot .36 are also fine looking pistols.

There were civilian models of the 1860 army that could be ordered with the smaller Navy sized grip.
    if you have large hands the Calvary grip might suit you better, but the Navy size grip seems to fit everyone just fine.

PS
    I bored the Chambers of my first 51 Navy a tad deeper to hold a pinch more powder, that greatly increased the muzzle velocity and energy when using round ball.
    The depth of the chambers of Colt replicas seems to vary according to the manufacturer.

I ground the end of a 3/8" drill bit flat and took out the taper at the bottom of the chambers and deepened them till flush with the end of the nipples.
    Don't try this if you aren't handy with hand tools. A Drill press would make it easier.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 12-17-2013 at 06:52 AM.