WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used the pot to smelt

Boolit Buddy

Used the pot to smelt

Hi guys

I have the pro 4 20 pot and I used to use it for smelting long before I knew any better. Needless to say when my pot is empty there are large shards of yellow and red sandy junk that has collected around the bottom of my pot. Scraping with a screwdriver seems to loosen it but there's no way of getting it all.

Also some of that junk ends up in a few bullets, ruining my day. How do I get this thing cleaned properly? It's turned into a lee drip 0 matic!

I was thinking I could give it a real good clean, then tape the bottom spout and spray high heat paint on the inside to stop the sulfur build ups from sticking, what do you guys think ?

Boolit Master
    sounds like lead oxide be careful very toxic

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't put any kind of paint in the pot.
    As already pointed out...PROTECT YOURSELF while you're cleaning out whatever it is that has attached to the interior of your pot.
    After you're done all you can with the screwdriver....and whatever other tools you find that will work to do the chipping away...you might try a power drill with some rough steel wool wrapped around a drill bit to get the rest of it. Use successively more fine grades to polish the interior out to the original bare metal. Polish the end of the drop-rod, AND the beveled hole and you'll improve the dripping situation markedly.
    HUGE P.I.A., but with time and patience, it worked for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Use a wire wheel with the drill motor.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned
    Use a mask or respirator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post

Rick
    +1 about using wire wheel. But ABSOLUTELY be sure to wear eye protection and a proper respirator.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

You may want to go to the hardware store and buy a tub of plumber's flux. I have some of this and use it when casting. Put a small infants spoon full in the mix. The pot seems to be quite a bit cleaner when I dump it when finished. You may still need the wire wheel to get out the stubborn stuff. Valve grinding cream works well in the spout but need to be cleaned out very well.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    This is in the archives and is a safer method that you might want to consider.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ee+casting+pot

Just a simple word search of the archives, but I do not know if it is a "stickie".
    Dusty

Boolit Man

Wire wheel with the drill worked for me. I don't think I would put any paint to it, like Guido4198 stated. As others stated wear eye pro and respirator and obviously do in a well ventilated area. It will create a lot of dust.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Use a mask or respirator
    Good advice.

I have done this with range scrap. The lead is soaked is soapy water for a few days, rinsed and dried.
    All the shotgun wads, rock, and other debris is picked out. this minimalizes the crud at the bottom of the pot.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I wouldn't mess with it if you believe that it is going to be that toxic. Just order a new bowl from Lee and retire the old one as an emergency backup.

bhn22
    Disassemble the pot, take the bowl itself to a local machine ship and have them bead blast it. Take it home and wash it out with soap and water to remove the glass dust. Let dry thoroughly before reassembling.

If you decide to go the wire brush route, use a shop vac with a HEPA filter to deal with the dust as you go.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Trelan View Post
    I wouldn't mess with it if you believe that it is going to be that toxic. Just order a new bowl from Lee and retire the old one as an emergency backup.
    I would go this route.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trelan View Post
    As with anything in casting using common sense and basic precautions there is nothing to worry about. If you don't use common sense and basic precautions it's a different story.

The warnings in this thread are nothing more than reminders to use common sense and basic precautions.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    well now you guys have got me worried, I can think of about 4 or 5 times I have done the screwdriver chipping method standing over the pot with no sort of breathing or eye protection. I can never remember tasting any of the dust but now I am very worried,

do I have a reason to be worried now?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pearcetopher View Post
    do I have a reason to be worried now?
    Doubtful, big difference in making chips and making dust. One time like that is pretty minor anyway, it's accumulation over time that would/could eventually get ya.

Lead is not radioactive, it cannot jump out and get you. It is not laying in wait for you. You pretty much need to eat it to get it into you. Breathing dust could accumulate in the lungs but if you wear a mask and do it outside with a even a minor breeze there's very little to worry about. In other words, use common sense and basic precautions.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

What cbrick said.

I work for a large lead smelter and am surrounded by lead every day. Hundred of tons of lead and they won't even sell it to me!

Anyway, it is actually difficult to get lead into your system and inhalation or ingestion are the two main entrances.

Wear a respirator to keep dust out of your mouth, nose and lungs and wash your hands before eating or smoking. We used to get guys getting leaded due to smoking when it was legal to smoke in the plants. They would have lead/lead oxides on their hands then be handling cigarettes and putting them in their mouths and smoking the contaminated cigarette. Great way to get lead into your system. Also, snacking while you are handling lead is bad because little bits of oxides or metallics get on your fingers then into you mouth.

I hear this somewhere recently (cbrick) but if you are "using common sense and basic precautions there is nothing to worry about". The man speaks the truth!

Oh, also, lead is actually radioactive but not very much. For the electronics/computer industry we produce what is called low alpha lead which has almost no radioactivity left. Again, not to worry ~ bananas are radioactive and lima beans are radioactive. In fact much of what is around you is at least somewhat radioactive.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Feel much better now

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pearcetopher View Post
    I can think of about 4 or 5 times I have done the screwdriver chipping method standing over the pot with no sort of breathing or eye protection.
    If you get it in your eyes you will not die of lead poisoning. Think of the common sense part, you are doing something that in all probability is going to generate small chips and pieces, while lead poisoning may not do you in through your eyes I'd be willing to bet that it won't feel very good. It's always common sense to use eye protection when doing any kind of power grinding etc.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Rick, any idea what the orifice diameter is on the RCBS? Mine has a bit of a drip after 20 plus year of use and I want to try a good cleaning before I see about getting a new liner and orifice.