Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite Antique Levergun Cartridge...

Boolit Mold
    Yes, what Musky said. 38-55. A cast boolit dream. And a challenge in a Marlin CB.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Very fond of the 44/40 and use it a lot. Picked up a 375Win recently, leaning towards that now.

UPDATE:

I know it is not an antique cartridge, but I load it to 38/55 levels. I have never seen a 38/55 for sale in Australia that wasn't a shiny commemorative at too many dollars.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 12-15-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

25-35

I always wanted an '86 in .50 caliber, but with the collector's price they bring the rifle is worth more than my hide. Last year I did manage to pick up a 45-70 '86 that had been refinished and reblued. So far I've only killed deer with it, but a '92 in 32-20 will kill deer. It's not enough to have a big rifle. I want to need it. If my health holds, I'm going to get back into country where I need the big rifle. Nothing I have ever used works as well for fast and close work as the '86.

For now of the ones I have used enough to have an opinion of my favorite is the 40-82 with the 40-65 really about the same, but the .33, 38-56, and the 38-70 work pretty well too. One that surprised me is the '95 in 35 Winchester with the 260 grain RCBS cast boolit. For five shots nothing is faster or points better than the '95. Reloading is a little awkward until you get used to it, and that action with the lever opened with everything hanging out reminds me of an aging lady of the evening with her garters showing, but aesthetics aside when things get ugly I could do worse than have a '95 in my hands.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

45/90. Have an original 1886 that's been in the family since new.

For me, it's my old '76, 45/75, round barrel, sg buttplate, bore so wore out you think the rifling is sketched in with a pencil. But, 5 shot 2-1/2" groups at 100 yards, straight black 3f loads. No foulers, no mouth to mouth recessitation (blowing to soften fowling), just line up the barrel sights and squeeze the trigger. I've shot a mule deer, a speed goat, 3 elk and a full curl bighorn ram with it. Don't hunt with it much any more because it's so wet where I currently live I don't like dragging old guns with no finish out in the woods to get soaking wet. Never had a shot go where I didn't aim. A friend used to say," those old time fellers were well armed". Who ever packed that '76 around sure enough was well armed.
    kootne

I guess it would have to be the 25-20 wcf. It is the only lever I have ever owned. Old model 1894. Made in 1896.

Boolit Bub
    45-70 in the Winchester 1886. Just fun to shoot!

Thumbs up 30-30 & 45 Colt

Was always a fan of the 30-30 Win, levers bolts and single shots (TC Contender). A very versatile ctg that will take on (just about) every animal in North America-with big bears in the grizzly nature you might be levering for your life. My 94 gets out atleast once every year whether or not I'm carrying a deer, elk or moose tag I have that much confidence in this cartridge! I'm down to only one 30-30, a 1977 Win Model 94 with Williams FP sight. Drives tacks at 100yds with a 170gr Hornady FN and LeverEvolution, And Shoots just as well with a cast Lee 170 and IMR 3031.
    Having said all that a very very close runner up is my Model 94 Legacy in 45 Colt. I shot this with Hdy XTP's and H110 and this load will do what the above will do as long as you limit your range to 100yds & under. It packs a wallop and SMACKS the berm with authority. A soon as I get a good load with a 255gr cast SWC this lever will be accompanying me next fall.
    Last edited by Huntsman; 12-15-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: grammar corrections

I like my 1876 .45-60WCF. This on is a carbine with a 20 inch tube and a full length forearm that covers the magazine tube. My other lever gun is a 1873 short rifle in .44WCF. I use that one in CAS matches and the 1876 will be used in side matches. both are made by A. Uberti and are very accurate using Goex's Pinacle BP Sub.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Mold
    .348 gets a nod; lots of oomph on the receiving end.

Boolit Master
    45-70, hands down.

Forgot to say why. For 140 years, this cartridge has met and exceeded the standards originally set for it. It has defended countries, defended families, fed families, protected livestock and won shooting matches.
    This 140 year old cartridge is still widely used and available today.
    You can load it light. You can load it hot (in the right firearm). And, it loves black powder. Loaded right, it will drop any critter on the North American continent.

smokeywolf
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 12-20-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Forgot to say why
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    I am a BIG fan of the Winchester 1886 in ANY calibre. However, no one has mentioned .50-70 Government. LOTS of fun to shoot in a Sharps Cartridge Conversion carbine.

Boolit Master

45-70 because i have one

I pretty much got my original 1873 by accident. Someone's uncle was moving to FL, and he was selling a few guns. Didn't really need anything, but how can you not take a look when someone is selling guns?

Turns out one was the Winchester in .38-40, a cartridge I knew nothing about. Didn't really know anything about the 1873 either, but the price was so inexpensive, I said what the heck.

Once I realized what I had, I wanted to shoot it, but almost passed out when I saw what a box of cartridges was going for, over $75 at the time. Found a commercial reloader, bought a few boxes, and then started loading my own. Not difficult at all if you take your time.

The only old gun I'd had was a .45-70 Trapdoor Springfield carbine. That gun beat me up so bad, I sold it. I love the light recoil and accuracy of the .38-40, so this is definitely my favorite.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    32-20 because it's about perfect for 99.9% of my shooting and farm work. 16 gauge takes care of the other stuff.
    16 Gauge, I thought I might be the only guy with a 32-20 and a 16 gauge

Tim

Boolit Grand Master

45-70, even tho my rifle is anything but an antique. 30-30 is a close second even tho I mistakenly consider it a modern cartridge. 45 Colt comes to mind as well even tho my late friend JT would argue that it's not truly a correct "antique" levergun cartridge. Someday maybe I'll have leverguns in 32-20 and 38-40 and they'll be my new favorite.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

.38-55 since it is the only lever gun I have and also because it was my Dad's.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not really a true antique, but I am enamored with my model 71 and the .348. The rifle is slicker that the proverbial reptile nasal mucus, and the Cartridge is a potent thing. I have 3 molds for it, the 200 grain RCBS, a 220 grain Accurate mold. and the Lyman 358-429. You may ask, 358-429? Isn't that a might large? it sizes easily to .350 and shoots great over 13 grains of Red Dot. At 50 yards, it more than holds its own with the heavier boolits, accuracy-wise. And for killing paper, the lighter charge is excellent. For deer, I load the RCBS or Accurate boolits over a stiff charge of WW-760. So far, the deer are ahead of me on points, since they seem to disappear whenever my 71 and I take the field.
    I also like the 250 Savage. But not for boolits.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    One of the "funnest" to shoot for me is my Savage 1899-H takedown in 22 Savage High Power. It's sure not the most versatile, the most powerful, the most accurate or the most - just about anything you name. But when you take it to the range, it'll sure get a lot of attention. It's a neat little cartridge and, of the 11 different calibers I've got in leverguns, it's my favorite. The fellow in the Savage ad shown with a tiger taken with the 22 HP is NOT me, by the way.
    yooper