Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: NOE Break-in?

Boolit Buddy

NOE Break-in?

I have a new, aluminum NOE 5-cavity, 0.452" H&G 68 clone on the way. I have been using 2-cavity Lyman and RCBS molds for years but decided I wanted to try the aluminum 5-cavity this time. Does anyone have a recommendation regarding break-in procedures and/or do's/don'ts with this mold.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Boolit Master
    I have at least 1/2 doz. NOE molds and they came with instructions on "break in" and use..
    If you didn't get any with yours check with AL..

Boolit Master

It will come with break in instructions, I have just that same one 5cav, in the past couple days I have cast a bunch with it, all of NOE's molds are super molds at least I think so--got 12 of em.

My only two NOE molds are both brass. Top quality molds, you won't be disappointed.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I have 3 of NOE's molds. The break in proceedure is pretty simple. As stated above, they come with instructions on how to do it. I cleaned mine to remove any cutting oils that may still be on the mould (the same as with any new mould). Then fired up the kitchen oven to the proper temperature suggested with the instructions and let it 'bake' for the recommended time. Remove the mould and let it cool back to room temperature. Then repeat that proceedure.

All moulds have a 'sweet spot' so to speak. Once you've cast a few hundred with it and experimented with the mould and alloy temp, the boolits begin to rain out of them like water from a spigot.

You won't be disappointed in a NOE mould.

My only disappointment in NOE moulds is there are a few I wish they offered. The Lyman #452374 & #452423 being 2 of them. I figure sooner or later, they'll make them and then I'll own 5 NOE moulds.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Bub
    Down in Vendor Sponsors Al has some hints, tips and tricks for his great molds. Only have two so far myself, but, Christmas is coming.

Banned

the cleaning and heat cycles are important.
    a couple of heat cycles really makes a difference.
    I like to just use the mold for a couple of short runs [30 or so casts] throwing back all the boolits without even looking at them, then do a medium run [maybe 100 casts] and finally make a pile of boolits for the fourth heat cycle.
    that usually sets the mold how it's gonna be from then on.

Banned

YEP, follow the directions that are included with the mould, should be good to go then.