MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite military bolt gun?

Quote Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
    I picked up a favorite of mine today...... a 1945 BSA No5Mk1 with a bayonet...yay!!
    Sweet.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Mold
    My favorite is the M96 Swedish Mauser. Love the 29 inch 6.5x55 barrel with slow powder!

Boolit Buddy
    + one more vote for the Swede M96.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Buddy
    out of what I own it would be an M44, one I want is a k31

Quote Originally Posted by clownbear69 View Post
    Remedy your situation and get a K31... you won't be sorry you did,
    Sometimes a teacher, always a student.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrohuck View Post
    Remedy your situation and get a K31... you won't be sorry you did,
    If I had money it would be no problem. so far the last two years if I have the money its out of stock and when I don't everything is in stock at best pricing. Story of my life. I was thinking the K31 would be an awesome casting project since from reading (correct if im wrong) needs to be at lower pressures anyways inorder to not destroy the reciever

Boolit Bub
    Model of 1903A1 in 30-06. Accurate and fun to shoot!

The Krag. There are rifles with more history (although the Krag has its share). I find the Krag a work of art and highly accurate. For their first smokeless powder magazine rifle, the US Army did a lot of things right. I love the '03 too, but I think the "transition" period between BP and smokeless is more interesting - and they are just plain fun to shoot!

Boolit Master
    Stay firm for the K31, you will never regret it.

I scoped mine using the St. Marie clamp on mount. Rifle is more accurate than I could ever hope to be. As per S/N, mine was mfg. in 1941, according to two digit stamp on top of tang it was armory refurbished in 1953. Stamped code symbols on barrel shoulder where it meets receiver, show it was also rebarreled in 1953.

The plasticized paper tag beneath butt plate shows rifle was reissued in 1954 to a 20 year old Cpl. Girald Pasquile.

As someone posted long ago: The K31 is a precision target rifle disguised as a service rifle.

It was said once
    , when a German General told a Swiss General he could provide twice as many men as the Swiss General had if Germany decided to invade Switzerland. Asked for a comment, the Swiss General said, "Well, I suppose we will have to shoot twice".

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Man that rifle brings back memories.I,m 68 years old.I was in the Navys drill team.When I went to boot camp those
    spring fields were what was issue for marching.Yea they were pluded & what every else they do.But where prefit
    balance for drill rifles.But I always wanted a M1 garand instead.Well I got my wish when I Joined the drill team.

As on today I own ether. I have a lot of the rest but price always is my issue.Mmmm Not really it is my wife issue with price.

After looking at yours I think I may now want one of those over the Garand.

Fly
    Fly, If you buy a 1903, I hope that you get a good one. Most on the market now are assembled from parts by collectors and shooters or have had most of their original parts replaced during overhall by armorers. Of those, any rifles that have had armorer or armory updates or repairs are still considered collectable and in original military configuration. They are the ones that will maintain and increase in their value. From the lack of them showing up for sale, it seems that a great majority of the rifles as they were Originally Assembled at Springfield Armory or Rock Island Arsenal are owned in private collections now. They used to be common enough and could be found for sale up to 25 or 30 years ago, but not anymore. I was able to find mine on Gun Broker over a five year period. Each one was the only original rifle at the time among all the rest that were no longer in as original condition. They showed up infrequently, but because nobody seemed to notice them, I was able to get each one for considerably less than the Flayderman's Price Guide value, which only applies to unaltered and original as made collectables. The rifles assembled from parts and rifles with major alterations have no real collectors value and are just considered shooters and should be priced accordingly. However most of these are often grabbed up for too high a price by guys who are eager to obtain a collectable rifle. What they wind up with is a 1903 that is worth less than they have in it. These can sometimes be sold again to another person who has little experience in the subject of 1903's if the owner is wanting to get his money back out of the rifle, but the rifle will never command the top dollar collector price that the buyer is after. If you want to get a rifle that is a shooter as well as a collectable that will increase in value, they're out there but you have to do a lot of research and studying up on the subject before you buy one or more. If you happen to see one and are wondering about it, go ahead and contact me and I'll try to give you as much information on it as to its collectability and originality as I'm able. Good luck in your search!

Boolit Mold
    love the look of my sons Enfield, but shooting K31 all the time

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    My favorites are mostly my Mauser M98s followed very closely by my M1903s. Never owned a SMLE though I've been tempted. Have a Ross M10 that I shoot often.

Larry Gibson
    Agree. But of course the 1903 is basically a Mauser 98, so does that count as one or two favorites?

Boolit Grand Master

M1903A1 in M1903A3 National Match II configuration.

The M1903A1 is a lot of fun as a "shooter".

Larry Gibson

Attachment 89801Attachment 89802

Boolit Master
    I would have to say that I really love my Steyr M.95's. I have a long rifle that I found while visiting a friend for $75 about 8 years ago. Perfect stock (dark walnut), bluing and barrel shows only a hint of hazing. Barrel comes in at .3285 so it shoots the Lee cast bullet very very well. Not to mention the straight pull, en-bloc clip, sleek look and cool WWI history just add to the "mystique".

Back when century had the m.95 at 3 for $210 I bought 6, one had a perfect carbine stock and a no - date brand new unfired barrel, love it.

Other one I bought from a fella on gunboards, serbian rebuild of a budapest m.95. Has a brand new barrel in 8x50r, which may be the only m.95 I've seen in 8x50r with at least a half-way decent barrel, although I'm sure more exist.
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Boolit Buddy
    #4 Enfield. Smooth as glass, accurate, little recoil.

Boolit Bub
    The M200 CheyTac Intervention not many around, but then again they don't need to be close! {The CheyTac Intervention is an American bolt action sniper rifle manufactured by CheyTac LLC. It is fed by a 7-round detachable single stack magazine. It fires .408 Chey Tac or .375 Chey Tac ammunition. CheyTac LLC states that the system is capable of delivering sub-MOA accuracy at ranges of up to 2,500 yards (2,300 m), one of the longest ranges of all modern-day sniper rifles. It is based on the EDM Arms Windrunner.}Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m200..gif 
Views:	21 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	92197
    (Wiki)

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004-2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	92681
    Definitely a K31. After my husband bought an M44 and we started looking for a rifle for me. I instantly was sold on the straight pull and accuracy. Here I am with my first hog five years ago. Its great at the range and in the woods.
    Last edited by relicshunter; 01-04-2014 at 11:17 PM.

I really like my 1896 Krag.

Boolit Master
    My 1901 M96 Swede. Needed a rifle to shoot in the local Vintage Military match. Saw this one on the rack that was all original and told the salesman to get his bore scope out. While I'm looking in the bore he's telling me all about this disc on the stock and these other numbers and all I hear is Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah. Have owned it for two years now and it was only because of the Cast Boolit site that I now know what he was talking about. Matching numbers and a like new bore.