MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2400 in the Mosin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by res45 View Post
    On the 54r I use the provide crimp groove on the Lee .312" 160 gr. and use a med roll crimp. Case necks were expanded with a 32 S & W long neck expander which worked out better than the standard .311" expander ball on the RCBS dies.

Evidently that works out well in my particular Mosin as I don't think I can get it to shoot much better. 5 shots at 50 yds.

Not all brass is the same thickness I have some 54r brass with much thicker case necks than what I normally shoot. The Max bullet dia. I can easily chamber in my M44 is .314" using Prvi or Winchester/S & B brass. With the other brass if I so desired I can size my bullets to .313" and they chamber fine I just put that brass aside to load J bullets in. Also if you use a roll crimp and get to excessive it will bulge the brass a can cause chambering issues.

Good shootin' Ronnie. I'd be happy with that!
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Thanks Mike,I was pretty stoked when I shot that first test group and it shot so well. Sometimes you hit thing right off the bat. Of course I have to give the props to Ed Harris for coming up with the Universal load. At some point I what to experiment with higher velocity loads an my paper patch bullets.

Boolit Master

Funny thing is - it's the first load I tried with that boolit too.

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

What kind of velocity are you guys getting with 16 grains of 2400 out of a 91/30 and the ctl-312-160?
    Okie

We have a saying in our house: No pity for self inflicted wounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Okie73 View Post
    What kind of velocity are you guys getting with 16 grains of 2400 out of a 91/30 and the ctl-312-160?
    I haven't chronoed my loads yet but according to Mr. Harris it should be running somewhere between 1500 and 1600 fps. I'm probably somewhere in the middle since I'm shooting them in a M44 with the shorter barrel.

I have a lot of loads for various rifles that I'm shooting that are perfectly safe but I need to just pick a nice day and set the chronograph up and do a bunch of test.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Okie73 View Post
    No chronograph Okie - wish I knew.

Boolit Mold
    i use the same mold, seated at 2.90", but I get keyholing about 1in 5.

Boolit Master

I started shooting 16gr 2400 with a 311299 in my Finnish Hex Mosin for our military bolt match and loved it. 6-8 months ago I got my 311365 group buy mold, and wanted to see what the Mosin could do on the long range course, so I loaded up the new boolit with 20gr 2400 and sighted in on the 500 yard Ram line. Pure joy knocking one ram over after another at 500 yards using cast!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	147987692.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	89585

Boolit Mold
    nice looking bullets

+1 on the nice looking bullets,what kind of velocity are you getting with the 20 gr. 2400 load?

It's possible you have a Mosin with an oversized bore. That can cause all kinds of problems (accuracy, keyholing, etc). You might want to see if that's the problem. A friend of mine had one with an oversized bore and he ended up getting rid of it. Too many problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by graphic914 View Post
    i use the same mold, seated at 2.90", but I get keyholing about 1in 5.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Grand Master

Good thread, interesting!
    1shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Please don't beat up on me...I'm old and pitiful...I love the mosins and do alot of mosin shooting with the milsurp light ball 147 grain jwords...I also have just a boat load of .311 jwords in 150-180 grain a buddy gave me...I load with imr 4350 to standard loads...I'd really like to make up some "plinkers" that would be very light recoil for my wife to shoot...I don't cast (I do shoot lots of Missouri's cowboy 12 hard boolits in handguns) so just wondering if anyone makes up powder puff loads using either 2400 (got lots of it for my 357 loading) or any other powder (I got lots of trail boss, unique and universal) to shoot sissy loads with j words....Thanks..
    opos

Boolit Master

More 2400 in the Mosin

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    I started shooting 16gr 2400 with a 311299 in my Finnish Hex Mosin for our military bolt match and loved it. 6-8 months ago I got my 311365 group buy mold, and wanted to see what the Mosin could do on the long range course, so I loaded up the new boolit with 20gr 2400 and sighted in on the 500 yard Ram line. Pure joy knocking one ram over after another at 500 yards using cast!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	147987692.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	89585
    Baja Traveler those are some FINE looking cartridges buddy! I did some more shooting monday and then again yesterday (what would be the right section to post a range report in?). Anyway, here's a target I shot yesterday (50 yds).

Attachment 89707

Still working on sight adjustment (almost got it!). My eyesight ain't what it used to be, but I think I'm gonna try this one at 100 yds. with the open sights.