Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39 Favorites?

7.62x39 Favorites?

After loading tens of thousands of pistol rounds (no rifle) over the years I'm about to venture into loading for my AKM. I do have Lee's book and a few loads off the internet. Most of my other information is years old.

Does anyone have any pet loads for cast bullets? I'll most likely be powder coating with gas checks and the Lee CTL312-160-2R bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have'nt already, read the sticky "practical dope on the 7.62x39"
    Alliant 2400 seems to be the way to go. I tried 12 gr in my sks with the lee 160, it would'nt cycle. 13 gr was hit and miss, 14 gr shoots better than I can at 50 yds and drops the brass about 4 feet away, but it's low for my tech sight(I don't like having the aperture right up out of the protector lugs). I might try 15 gr to bring my groups up, but you can't go wrong with that boolit and 2400. Fun, and cheaper than dirt.

samwithacolt beat me to it while I was typing but here goes my 2 cents. Not sure if there is a need to gas check powder coated bullets unless the base is not fully coated as well. Powder coating is something I want to try but just have to many pokers in the fire right now to take on a new project.

The Lee .312 160 gr. TL bullet is the one I shoot in my SKS rifles it also used in my Mosin as they both share the same groove dia. Bullet drops from the mold at .313.5" using straight WW water quenched alloy and gas checks are applied with the Lee .314" push through sizer,bullet get a light coat of Lee Alox/JPW lube before and after sizing.

I use the C.E Harris load of Alliant 2400 in my Chinese SKS it will cycle all day long with a charge of 12.5 grs. 2400 @ 1450 fps. and dump the brass right at my feet. My Yugo SKS requires the full load of 15.5 grs. and will stove pip on occasion so I just switched to a starting load of 18.0 grs. Reloader #7 and all was well and accuracy was still the same but brass get thrown about the same as steel case ammo. You can go up to a Max. load of 20.0 grs. of Reloader #7 if needed per Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #4.

Practical Dope on the 7.62x39
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...on-the-7-62X39
    Last edited by res45; 11-29-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I tumble lube with lee alox, and I now use a .311 seater as my boolits were barely .311 to start with. When I used the .314 sizer, the GC was opening up the neck while seating, requiring me to factory crimp them. They shoot fine at .311 in my Russian sks. Word of warning, they are addictive!

Thank you guys for the info. I did read all of the Practical Dope thread and appreciate the more current load figures.
    My barrel slugs out at .3128 and my mold is a little small but Beagles to .314 nicely. I'll probably Beagle, powder coated to .316 and then size back down to .314. I figured I'd experiment with and without gas checks just for the fun of it... doesn't cost much to try.

I shoot my cast in a CZ 527. I realize this gun can shoot higher pressure than the semi auto's. I've had no problems shooting in the upper pressure limits and perhaps slightly beyond what is recommended. I do get faster velocity that what Mr. Harris indicated. My H322 load will give me 2350fps in that 18 inch barrel with excellent accuracy. I have a hard time getting my bigger 30's to do this with that kind of accuracy. (the ones with the 1 to 10 twist). The 1 to 12's are another matter.

I wondered how many folks will shoot the higher pressure/higher charge loads in their SKS's and perhaps their AK's. I have a Saiga I'm curious about. I've had other things to do, but will start on this. I use the NOE 314 155 Lee copy. Anybody else use H322?

Dr. A I haven't really tried to push the envelope on cast loads in my SKS rifles it's more of a economical issue than anything else especially at the ranges I shoot at,just doesn't make much sense to burn more powder than I really need.

I have more than I'll ever shoot of bulk 123 gr. FMJ's and SP's and V-MAX bullets that I stocked up on many years go that nobody seem to want when there were so cheap that I can load up to full velocity as well as plenty of bulk steel case ammo but I just keep all that stashed back for a rainy day.

H322 is not a powder that shows up around here very often but Alliant 2400 and Reloader #7 which I use in lots of cast loads for various cartridges is usually readily available in normal times but I'm stocked up on that as well and have plenty of that to burn through for awhile.

Boolit Master
    What works in the CZ should work in your SKS..

My pet load so far.
    Like Dr. A have a CZ but used a 183gr. Loverin mold over 23grs of H4895..
    Groups nicely from what little I have shot of it..
    1.25" 3 shot at 100
    2.00" 5 shot at 100
    ACWW dipped in LLA
    2.5 luepy scope..
    Around 1800fps from what I read..
    First and only load tried..
    Was also able to hit a cantaloupe sized rock on the 200 meter berm 90% of the time leaning against a roof support pole at the range..
    I should try H4895 in my SKS.. (and NO dacron needed, grin)
    Data from this thread Post #7:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ta-for-7-62x39

This round is to much fun!
    Just about every thing seems to work..
    I think the Harris bullet with a honkn' 75% FN would be a deer killing bullet extraordinaire..
    Wonder if it would feed from the SKS magazine?

Thanks Dr. A for posting your load for a lighter weight bullet and H332..

My CZ527 really likes the Lee C312-155-2R at 1850 to 1900 with Re7. Hi-tek coating and GC.

Still lots of work to do, but 3 shot groups at 50 yds. are under .5 in.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

2400 small window

Further reading shows the 2400 load to be verrrry popular. But... when people write about it there's very little room for experimentation. It seems to go from- not cycling the action to cycling to max load with not a lot of leeway. Is there any more published info around? I haven't found velocities posted. Thank you for any additional insight.

You want find any published velocity data using 2400 except by those that chrono there loads. As I stated I get right around 1450 fps. with cycling using 12.5 grs. 2400 in my Chinese SKS if I use 15.0 grs. even it just over 1900 fps.

Boolit Master
    H322 24 g with Lee160TL in my Chinese SKS

Attachment 89199

I'll throw something a little different out there. I developed this load for my Romanian AK when I was working on my 300 Whisper. I used the Lee 200gr boolit with gas check and NRA old recipe lube. I ran it as cast and seated to the crimp groove on the boolit. I used regular large rifle primers and 14.5grs of X-terminator. It cycled the gun softly, threw the brass only about 18". I never chronographed it but I never could hear a sonic crack.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Master

Off topic but where did you find that peep sight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    H322 24 g with Lee160TL in my Chinese SKS

Attachment 89199
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

I have tried to shoot the Lee C312-155-2R with gas checks through my Chinese SKS Paratrooper. I could not find a safe load of 2400 or Unique that would cycle the action. I finally found some old H 4227, which supposedly the powder of choice for the SKS, and was able to get the rifle to cycle with the mid range loads. I am not in my reloading room and do not remember the load, but I do have it written down if you need it. A short pencil is better than a long memory. I would have very much liked to load 2400, but my weapon just did not like it. Still have not found the accuracy I want, but it is not too bad. My rifle loves Wolf 122 gr HP, but they have become pretty rare now, although some are beginning to reappear. Good Luck in your quest.

Went to the bench. I began to get the action to cycle reliably at 16 gr of H4227.

Boolit Master
    patiently waiting for Ranch Dogs new mold for this cartridge, then I will have something to talk about.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Bub
    I just started experimenting with the Lee C312-155-2R and accurate arms 1680 in a Russian SKS, converted Saiga, and Century VZ-2008. Running 16-20 grains in one grain increments accuracy from all three rifles was good at 100 yards. The SKS and Saiga functioned fully on all loads the VZ needed 18 grains so I've settled on 18 grains for all future testing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Off topic but where did you find that peep sight?
    Try here
    http://www.tech-sights.com/

Have the TS200 and like it very well

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    patiently waiting for Ranch Dogs new mold for this cartridge, then I will have something to talk about.
    +1...

Boolit Buddy
    Ranchdog is working on an sks bullet?
    Cool!

Pat