RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How do you load 5 gallons of WW into your vehicle?

Good Lord willing, I'll turn 60 next month.

I've had 2 major back surgeries over the past 25 years, L4 & L5 discs. That being said, back long ago I just grabbed up the bucket and loaded it up. Now that time has passed I've learned to categoriz buckets of WW's in 3 different catagories.

1. No problem, fairly light
    2. Farily heavy, be Careful!
    3. Oh hail naw! Don't even think about it. Use 2 buckets!

When I get them home, I back up to the garage door and get the 'Lil Red Wagon' up under the tailgate of the truck. A much easier way to transport them to and from wherever I need them after that.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

I would lift 5 gal buckets of WW into my pickup but after hurting my back getting a 20 lb bike down from the garage ceiling, No more for me too much risk for no reward. Now I usually take extra buckets I get from work; they are used for larger structural bolts (1-1/2 dia) heavy duty and square in cross section and are under 100 lbs when completely full and they nest quite well for storage when about 3/4's full.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxC View Post
    Maybe I am just a wimp but the last bucket of WW's I picked up nearly killed me. I couldn't even begin to lift it higher than 6" off the ground and when an employee tried to help me the handle broke and we both nearly got hurt. I had to dump it into a smaller container and then transfer it a little bit at a time to my truck. After I got home I weighed it for a new personal record of 173lbs, most of what I get is usually 120ish. Anyone found a easy and safe way to load the buckets into the back of a pickup besides using a lift? It doesn't help matters that my tailgate is 37" off the ground.
    Honestly, I don't. I bring donuts for all the guys and it goes a long way to building good will. I'll typically ask for "a hand loading" and one of the big brusers will grab up the bucket and load it for me.

Boolit Buddy
    2 gallon buckets 3/4 full, I keep 5 gallon buckets at home for storage, never when I'm picking up.

Boolit Master
    If you are not in good shape then it's just crazy to put yourself in a position to get hurt. You got to know your limitations, at least I heard somebody say that once. I ain't young but I exercise regularly so I can be of some use working around the farm. The day will come when I got to look a youngn' to do something but it ain't today.