WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The most fun gun you shoot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CPL Lou View Post
    My favorite fun gun is my Knight Rifles muzzleloading 12ga.
    120 grains of Swiss FFG and 2.5 ozs of shot.
    Shreds cans out to 50 yds.
    Real crowd pleaser too

CPL Lou
    Yeah, I can definitely go with that. x101Airborne has a couple of frontstuffer shotguns (flinters), big fun and lots of grins. They also put meat in the pot and have fed us both a time or two.

Gear

Boolit Master
    M92 Winchester in 25/20. Cheap, fairly accurate, low recoil and good for 150yds or so.

Boolit Grand Master

Speaking of crowdpleasers my 1858 Remmy clone has never failed to put a silly grin on my face and attract quite a bit of attention. SAA's firing Holy Black are a close second. First "fun gun" that comes to mind is my old MK I Ruger 22 but it hasn't been out of the safe in months. Need to remedy that after deer season.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I have a Handi Rifle in .357 MAX. I really enjoy this on several levels. Loaded to the firewall with 180 gr. jacketed bullets, it is stepping on the ballistics of a .358 Win. The muzzle blast from the 16.5 inch barrel also blows away chronys set up on adjacent shooting benches at the range. Loaded with 170 gr. cast bullets at reasonable velocities, it is an awesome deer gun.

Loaded with my Lee 158 RNFPs over 5 grs. of 231, it is cheaper to shoot than a .22 RF. I am using this gun to teach grandchildren to handle rifles because it is cheap and has the safest action you can come up with.

Boolit Grand Master

It moves through cycles... Every Spring, I fall back in love with my 1911 for the PSA Shootout. Then it's revolver time for USPSA and ICORE. In the fall, Palmyra has a great rimfire match and my 15-22 comes out. Yep, cyclical...
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    AR-180 22 with 250rnd drum mag on top. Was at a MG shoot near Kearny Ne. in the late 90's where they (Class III) people would let you shoot the guns for a little more then the price of ammo I miss those days. It took awhile to load that drum up but it was a lot of fun. The on that hurt the most was a HK 51 with a meat cleaver stock on it.

7 shots with a pump shotgun at anything and everything out in the boondocks. Must be the ching Chang sound and the ground moving that does it...
    I don't do it very often but sure puts a smile on the face...

Second is the #8 shot on an m1 garand...
    High Hook

"Phased plasma rifle in 40 watt range". Oh sorry wrong forum.

Seriously though, we're limited down under in what we can have, but my favorite would be my 4" GP100 with full house home made magnum loads.
    Say hello to Smith & Wesson and their 6 children all named .357 magnum.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    If it goes bang without the heavy recoil I love it.
    Took me a long time to figure that one out. After shooting "magnums" all my life, I got the itch for a 280 Remington. I never realized you could actually see muzzle blast through the scope and see your hits on the target.

Like most of us I enjoy anything that goes bang. At one time or another I have pretty well shot everything but I do have a couple left on the bucket list. I still need to get a revolver bigger than a 454 and I still haven't owned a 45-70. And maybe a 32 TC Cherokee would be nice also.

Banned
    I'm a group shooter guy & I get the most fun out of rifles that shoot 2" 5 shoot groups or less at 500yds. I enjoy that even better than at 1000. (of course I can't shoot 2" at 1000 more like 5 x 2") Of them all my favorites are Rem700 in .308, Rem700 6.5-284 F class, & 6.5-06 Rem700 hunting rifle. All custom made on the Rem action. I do have a new light 1000yd gun (17lb or less) in 300 Win that may take over if it shoots 4" at 1k like I think it will do.

My next favorite guns are...all the rest.

OK - answered the worst first - now the most fun.

Used to be the Milsurps. Nowadays (older and rebuilt shoulders) its the lever Marlins/Savage 99s, and the 44 SPC and 45 Colt Flattop Blackhawks with my cast bullets. The two revolvers are probably the hands down most fun!

Boolit Master
    My favorites are SA revolvers of whatever caliber I happen to be shooting at the moment.
    I have a Richards-Mason conversion in .38spl that is just great fun
    Ruger flat top in .44spl is right there with it.

Boolit Master
    They're all fun and when they stop being fun they get sold.

That said, and after a bit of rumination, I'd say a Remington no.4 rolling block. It was my late fathers rifle as a boy and every time I cycle the action I'm brought back to some of my earliest and best memories as a child. That's where my fascination with firearms began, and it shoots much better than it's peppered bore and less than steller sights should.

Which reminds me, I haven't shot it in far to long and just might have to dig it out of the safe this weekend.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like 'em mild and round. For me, a K-frame S&W makes for a great afternoon. A box of wadcutters or three, and I can play for an hour or two. Course I only have 6 of 'em of various lengths and sizes, so it's easy for me to pick my favorite.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Tygar, I am surprised at your post! It seems you are bored with close range charging tin cans, or shotgun shells bobbing in the water at a hunnert or better. I know of weather men who cannot touch YOUR gun's groups at those distances you describe unless by a very lucky stroke of conditions they recognize without trajectory support (flags, etc.). ... felix
    felix

Love Life
    Come on now Felix. Not every gun or person has to shoot like that for it to be fun!! One of my most fun guns is my S&W model 28. It'll print 3 inches (ish) at 25 yards and is a hoot!!!

I also enjoy guns that shoot far accurately, however lugging all the **** out, setting up on a bench, driving targets (paper/steel) down range, throwing out flags, filling out notebooks, waiting for the planets to align, etc can be a pain some times...and boring.

It can even be a pain to drive your steel out and ping steel at long distances.

It's good to be able to pull up, walk your target out, walk back, and be shooting within 5 minutes.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    You got it, LL! ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    For me it is a revolver that came in a all or none group buy that I made about 10 years ago. A S&W 48 6 in bbl, 22 Mag. It was one of 4 or so handguns, that I said I'd resell as soon as I could, to recoup the cost of the entire purchase. I went to the range and threw it in my range bag, because I'd never shot a 22 Mag thru a handgun and wanted to do so, before selling it off. Well now 10 or so years later, it's still here and joins me in every range trip for a box of 50, during every trip. Just a bit different than a "regular" 22 and an unbelievable single action trigger, from the early 70's era S&W, just a plain fun gun to shoot - Cheers Bill in MA

Years back I built a Polish AK with underfolding stock. When I finally got the bugs worked out and got her running right, it turns out to be a real hoot. You have to be a bit careful, because the steel stock can be a little rough on your teeth. I built it as a SHTF/bugout firearm, figuring that with good ammo the 7.62x39 would make an acceptable deer round (the are right around a .30-30). But even with the cheapo spam-can foreign stuff it does pretty well.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!