RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: G3 7.62 NATO Loads

Boolit Mold

G3 7.62 NATO Loads

Just got a G3 & loving shooting it, but even Milsurp ammo is expensive. Does anyone shoot one with CB? Bullets & any load info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    No reason why the loads listed in this sticky shouldn't work for you: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pringfield-M1A
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

DITTO on the sticky, excellent info there for any auto loading 308 shooting cast.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Been almost forty years since I played with a G3. Don't they have an adjustable gas port as standard feature?
    Just turn some knob up by the sight? Or is that the FN FAL? Anyway if it is adjustable you could turn it open to the big hole. Then cast would be extremely easy and reliable. As far as I know all the 7.62mm NATO battle rifles were made to function with 147 grain ball ammo. So using a heavier cast boolit gives you all the recoil you need for function.

With lower cast boolit pressures you'll have less issue with the fluted chamber messing up your case necks.

Boolit Master
    Not a gas gun. They are a delay blow back.

Three 44s

My HK 91 liked powder's on faster end for best accuracy (3031 with 168 was a good one) I did cast for it and I used 150 grain RCBS mold - at that point I was using epoxy paint lube and could get them up to 2500 fps with good accuracy. It didn't like non-gas checked or regular lubed as I recall.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Artful,

I have never cast nor handloaded for mine. I have small base dies ....... just never broke them out.

What was the effect of the chamber flutes on handloading particularly with cast loads?

How's the brass life?

Is it a once through proposition per casing?

Just wondering ........ I have so many other irons in the fire that I have just ran my HK on loaded mil surp.

Three 44s

While ugly the brass reloads just fine provided the ejection dent wasn't too bad or the mouth damaged.
    Brass life was good for about 6-8 reloads before I lost the cases to the weeds.
    The cast loads I did back then where mainly for plinking, the jacketed were trying to duplicate the match ammo the NG boys were issued.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Haven't played with the G3 in particular, but I have yet to find a semi auto that doesn't do well with a 180 gr bullet and 4895 with filler with charges in the 26-30 gr range for 308 or 28 to 32 range for 30-06.

Boolit Master
    Ah yes, that ugly ejection port dent!

I found out right after I bought my "91" new in around '79 that HK had an ejection port buffer as an option.

I got one and it sits on it yet today.

I'll have to dust off my stuff and crank her up!

One of my BIL's lives about 200 miles away ...... he's a great guy ....... just one exception ........ he lusts for my HK ...... day and night! Good thing sometimes ...... there's safety in distance!

Thank you very much and best regards

Three 44s