Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Complete - 1917 Enfield Sporter

Boolit Buddy

Complete - 1917 Enfield Sporter

Well, It is now done. The big things anyhow. Took a long time, between time and money it was a project well worth the effort. This rifle started life with me battered brused and neglected. And now it is a shining jewell, all done with these two hands.

The bolt was covered in crud but showed no pitting, the extractor had a few, 1mm, pits the barrel was dull but had sharp rifiling and the stock was gummy.

Well I didnt take any pictures of the actual work, but I started with a good cleaning, something that had not been done for some time. Upon dissambly, I noticed the stock was full length bedded! and done nicely at that.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I polished the bolt, chamber, extractor and ejector. I painted the barrel and action in wheel paint, Rustolium. That did not go so well... I think it was too cold. Heated up and it worked WAY WAY better the second time. The can of paint ended up clogging and I then purchased a can of caliper paint. Few light coats and wowza.

Sanded the stock, yes i know, stripper would have been better but there were a few ruff edges that I wanted to fix up. Coated in minwax simi gloss, five coats, about 24 hours between coats 3-4 and steel wool in between. Here in a week I will steel it again, coat with some wax and buff it a bit.

Just have to mount scope and go sight in. God I pray this thing shoots!

On with the pictures!

ATTACH=CONFIG]86717[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before2.bmp 
Views:	51 
Size:	576.1 KB 
ID:	86720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before.bmp 
Views:	60 
Size:	576.1 KB 
ID:	86721
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0747.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Now that's Bubba at his very best! I assume since you use metric measurements and paint gun barrels you are young. 10-12 coats of tung oil rubbed in and I have a finish that is slightly in the wood as well as on it. Us old guys would pay good money for a polish and blue job. Can't say you young guys can't teach us something. That's a beautiful job.

Any idea who made the stock?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Ehaver it looks pretty good. It does appear as though the front sight base rear hole was drilled through the locking lug abutment in the action?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Great job,,,
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Ehaver it looks pretty good. It does appear as though the front sight base rear hole was drilled through the locking lug abutment in the action?
    I was wondering about that myself.
    I never drill all the way through the ring, I drill a short hole then square the bottom with a drill I've ground flat on the point. Tapping is similar. starting with a regular tap and finishing with a tap ground flat on the tip. If necessary I grind the tip of the screw as well. That way I get the same amount of solidly contacting threads without drilling all the way through the ring.

Looks to be a fine sporter, good work in restoring it.

Boolit Master
    Try .314 cast Lyman 314299 or Accurate clone if 5 grove barrel.......WWII barrels on some were 2 grove .308 ( not .311)Attachment 86752

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Now that's Bubba at his very best! I assume since you use metric measurements and paint gun barrels you are young. 10-12 coats of tung oil rubbed in and I have a finish that is slightly in the wood as well as on it. Us old guys would pay good money for a polish and blue job. Can't say you young guys can't teach us something. That's a beautiful job.

Any idea who made the stock?

They say I am young, but morning and night I feel old!

Actualy that is all wood. No stain just a clear varnish. I almost did the blue job, but, time is money. There is no makers mark on the stock. I have looked high and low and there is nothing.

None of the sight holes were drilled completely through, square at the bottom.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 86837Oh yes I have a 6.5 Jap sporter with a painted finish....Did it 45 yrs ago still looks fine.....Did a "Bubba'ed" Contender barrel ....Looks fine to me

Boolit Buddy
    Absolutely gorgeous! Shoot it yet?
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Master
    That is one good looking rifle!

Beautiful rifle! have 2 and are very nice shooters. Enjoy yours!
    High Hook

Young or not, very nice looking rig. Hope she shoots as good as she looks.........
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Quote Originally Posted by Ehaver View Post
    They say I am young, but morning and night I feel old!

Actualy that is all wood. No stain just a clear varnish. I almost did the blue job, but, time is money. There is no makers mark on the stock. I have looked high and low and there is nothing.

None of the sight holes were drilled completely through, square at the bottom.
    The stock looks identical to bishop made sporter wood from the 60's. I had several sportered 98's with near identical wood...only mark I recall was "Bishop" on the plastic buttplates on some of them. On a sidenote those Model 1917's are hard to beat. Have only handled one Remington Model 30 though. Beats a 'springyfeeld' all to hell !.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you gentleman, I appreciate your complements. I have yet to shoot it but did load six rounds for sighting in and testing max cartridge OAL.

Again, thank you for the complements!