RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of making Ben's Red?......

Cost of making Ben's Red?......

If you had to venture a guess, what would you think it costs you per stick (assuming you have a Lyman 450) of lube?
    I understand the cool factor of making it yourself, and as I understand it, it's a great lube.

But there are lots of great lubes out there for super cheap. I won't go listing all the names, you guys know which ones I'm talking about.

So. Cost of all the ingredients , your time, etc..... Please sell me on making this stuff myself.

Just a thought. And please don't get me wrong. It would be a good thing to know how to do anyway. If s&%$ hit the fan, and we could not buy such things anymore.

I'm curious to hear from you.
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    I just made a batch and was figuring this last week. I didn't get too carried away with getting it to the penny, but it's around $1.25 a stick give or take.

it will depend somewhat on several variables , namely how much did you pay for your beeswax and lucas red n tacky , both seem to run the gamut , as well as how big of stick and if solid or hollow ... i made a 3# batch if a commercial stick is 1.2 to 1.5 oz. 3 #'s is alot of stix !!!

this is what i did and i used a whole tube of R&T
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1597884

because i had everything but the grease on hand my cost is lower than a feller who never uses any of the stuff and has to buy it all for this one application , i had less than $15 in 3 #'s - that's too cheap to worry about how much a stick cost me , if however you pay high retail for R&T and beeswax both your cost could be considerably higher than mine , i guess i got around 32- 40 stix for my investment eg; well worth the doing
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Sell you on making it. Buying all the ingredients to make 3 batches set me back $45 inc shipping of the beeswax, with JPW, STP and ATF left over.
    And for comparison, I just spent $44 for 10 sticks of LBT, 15oz. Ben's Red is good arithmetic even if you have to thicken it up some with extra beeswax or carnuba.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have access to someone local that can supply you with some clean beeswax at a reasonable price , it makes the deal even more financially attractive.

Ben

Boolit Master
    There's a reason I've gone to BAC. I used to make lithi bee, and even with a free source of beeswax it simply wasn't worth the stink and mess when I could get bags of BAC delivered to my door for $2/stick. Lube is such a minute cost compared to lead, primers and powder that to me I can't even imagine wasting my time to save less than $1/1000 rounds when the lead, powder and primers are setting me back $50-100/1000.

That said, because I have some beeswax lying around and I'm an itineret tinkerer, I'll probably end up making a batch of Ben's Red just because. Though I'd rather spend my precious little free time on casting and run my silver beauties through the lube sizer.

I use white lable lubes now. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes. I was just curious. I thought it might be a fun project to try sometime, and bens red looked like a good one.
    Thanks for all the replies guys.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    Based upon component costs, my cost is $0.36 per oz.

I am at about 60 cents a hollow stick for my RCBS sizer. I've found a local source for bees wax and my next batch will be closer to 45 cents a stick. The savings is important to me, but most important to me is that it works so well in rifles ( great in handguns too), and allows me to be more self sufficient. Kinda like I could buy cast bullets, but I cast my own.............

Boolit Grand Master
    Making lube is a good thing to know if the SHTF but not worth the pain when I can have it delivered to my door for under $2/stick. Sometimes it is nice to be a "high roller' and piss money away on commercial lubes.

My comment is not only limited to Ben's Red.

Shipping cost for lube from USA to Australia is very high, IMO it is much cheaper to brew your own here in the land of Oz.
    OTOH, I did bought some Speed Green in the past.. so this is a moot point.

Boolit Grand Master
    The total cost seems high at first but you end up with enough lube to last for a few years. On a "per stick" basis it is pretty darn cheap.

Great lube too.

Banned
    Lube making can save you good money......the trick is to not let the "alchemist" in you take over and go all nutsy cuckoo. If that happens you will fall over the cliff and learn things you never knew you needed to know.

Cost of Ben's Red? Priceless! You get a ton of lube and it's good stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Lube making can save you good money......the trick is to not let the "alchemist" in you take over and go all nutsy cuckoo. If that happens you will fall over the cliff and learn things you never knew you needed to know.

Come on Mike, outside of you and me, and a few others who has taken that leap..........

Follow Bens recipe and you get a fair amount of good, and pretty cheap, lube. Stray from the recipe and you get, well, what you get.

Boolit Master

No alchemy?

What?!? You don't add a few drops of cinnamon oil to the cooling mix? Makes the firing line smell like cookies!

dale In Louisiana

If you have to buy all the ingredients at the going rate, IMO, you can not make it cheaper than White Label, well not by much. Obviously if yo uhave access to free BW, you are half way there. I tried making my own just to have an alternative to the $5/stick lubes before I found White Label. Randy's TAC also works well & is very affordable. If you have to figure any time cost, buy the lube, even @ $5/stick.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned

after a few batches you can whip up a batch in about 1/2 hour.
    if that's too much of your free time you ain't got time to cast or shoot either so why bother with any of it.
    the tacky in lucas red and tacky is from paratack it's found in other stuff too like bird repellant caulk tubes, lucas oil treatment, and stp.
    there are other greases available that have the same basic ingredients without the tacky which you can get other way's.
    [I just get out the bottle of paratack I have and use that with mag-1 grease]

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MattOrgan View Post
    The savings is important to me, but most important to me is that it works so well in rifles ( great in handguns too), and allows me to be more self sufficient. Kinda like I could buy cast bullets, but I cast my own.............
    this is how i look at it too. works great in my AR and glock.. barrel so clean i hardly have to clean them
    plus you can ajust the wax to suit your needs.( not something you can do with lube you buy)
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    Cost of Ben's Red depends on the price of the divorce attorney if you make it in the house. Stuff stinks to high heaven but works great.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.