Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 86 of 130 FirstFirst ... 36767778798081828384858687888990919293949596 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Master
    I'm just about to place an order for a .300 BLK upper. You guys help me pull the trigger!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xyankeeworkshop View Post
    I was afraid you guys were going to say that.

Who builds a .300 Blk as their first (and maybe only) AR?

Apparently I do. Just doesn't seem right.
    I did to, then built some .223's, played with them, now all the .223's are for sale. It took about 2 years with both to decide I never need a .223. Now, I cant live without a 50 Beowulf or a Grendel in the stable as well. I wholeheartedly recommend all three calibers.
    here are some P/C black 311410's with hollow-points. This was the first batch before I cleaned the die from the (messy) previous lubes. You can see some of it on the boolit from seating. These are as explosive, if not more explosive than Hornady V-max 110's. Jugs have been known to pop their tops up to 20 feet in the air. Might be good for a deer boolit with a lung shot or neck shot if I can keep the boolit together, but so far they explode violently. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130802_155245.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	86756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130802_155335.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	86757

Boolit Man
    Looks like you sold a couple of .300 Blks today, xacex. I'd look into going on commission if I were you.

Now you need to learn me up on hollowpointing my molds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xyankeeworkshop View Post
    Looks like you sold a couple of .300 Blks today, xacex. I'd look into going on commission if I were you.

Now you need to learn me up on hollowpointing my molds.
    Buy the mold from Mehec my friend. I had nothing but trouble trying to hollow-point a mold myself. Funny, every time it seems I come around with my rifles I am short another one at the range. Ah, oh well. It gives me the opportunity to build an upgraded one.

Quote Originally Posted by Echd View Post
    I'm just about to place an order for a .300 BLK upper. You guys help me pull the trigger!
    Lol, If your wife shoots you in the foot right around Christmas time don't blame me! These are not cheap toys even if they seem to be made of the same materials.

Boolit Master
    Fortunately not married, and just a cheap-o fresh out of college guy with some pocket money. That said, ARs do have a bad habit of multiplying... and subtracting from the wallet!

Vendor Sponsor

"Who builds a .300 Blk as their first (and maybe only) AR?"
    Actually many people are doing that very thing right now
    enjoy
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Mold
    My first build was a 300 Whisper. Didn't have a need for a .223 Then I decided that I needed a .223. Sold the .223 and built a 50 Beowulf, I even ground out the ejection port my self! Then I built another .223, which I still have. Now I'm thinking about another 300 Whisper or a 6.5 Grendel

I get my MP 9 mm HP mold today..and yes i cast today and do some powder coating..Mold is awseome.Masterpice...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0315.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	86817
    I didnt get desired coverege but i was just rushing things..i think this gonna work anyway

Boolit Mold
    UPS turned up at my house last night at nearly 8:30 pm! Delivered a box with Lee bullet sizing dies in .451 and .357. Now I can run the powder coated bullets that I've been making through and "true them up" for loading and shooting! I wish that Lee would sell the sizing dies alone without the bottle of alox. I see that the price of the alox is about 5.00 per bottle now. The kit with the die and lube is about $16 or so. That would be a big savings if I could buy the dies alone. I'm wanting several more sizes. Also, the shipping goes up because the "Lube and Size" kit can't go in regular mail.

Boolit Master
    That's how they get you, for sure. You can probably sell the Alox on the S&S here- I just got rid of a few spare bottles that way.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by dezynco86 View Post
    UPS turned up at my house last night at nearly 8:30 pm! Delivered a box with Lee bullet sizing dies in .451 and .357. Now I can run the powder coated bullets that I've been making through and "true them up" for loading and shooting! I wish that Lee would sell the sizing dies alone without the bottle of alox. I see that the price of the alox is about 5.00 per bottle now. The kit with the die and lube is about $16 or so. That would be a big savings if I could buy the dies alone. I'm wanting several more sizes. Also, the shipping goes up because the "Lube and Size" kit can't go in regular mail.
    Lee sells the dies separately as parts but the price for the die is $15 which is almost the cost of the entire kit.
    http://leeprecision.com/parts/bullet...nd-sizing-kit/
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

I've read the 86 pages of this and forgive me if I missed it, but I'm assuming the coated boolits would feed just fine in Hornady's bullet feeder? Anyone have any luck with that?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Post #679 on page 34 says it works with his.

(these long threads really are a bear to search through!)

linkey to page 34
    Last edited by Beagle333; 11-11-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added link
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    So my question to all of the experimenters out here with powder coating is: Do you think that lube grooves/microbands are necessary with powder coating, since it appears that powder coating acts more like a polymer jacket, than a lube? After looking on the interwebs for a while, I came across a post where a gentleman had apparently modified his mold to remove all the lube grooves (for that matter, he might have just had a paper patched mold, I have no idea) but he had powder coated his boolits.

From the post-shot pictures I've seen, I don't know that there's a need for it.

Boolit Buddy

My only ar is a.458 Socom. It'll be starting on a diet of cast soon.

Randy

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    My only ar is a.458 Socom. It'll be starting on a diet of cast soon.

Randy
    If its a Rock River ..my loves the RCBS 45-300 and lees 500 gr plain base pointed Both powder coated of course
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

Thanks! So far the only mold I've got for it is the 350gr one that NOE had a buy on last year or early this year. I just got into casting and am still gathering equipment.
    It is surprisingly accurate with the Hornady 350rn, do I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do. I guess an HF coating rig is on the horizon.

Boolit Master
    I just finished reading for now, 83 pages since last Thursday. BTW I stopped by Harbor Freight last Friday night and bought one of those guns. After spending all of my free time reading or PCing boolets, sizing, etc I plan on loading up some tomorrow. Wife is pissed, she'll get over it, the important thing is that I now have boolets coated and will be testing Thursday.

My current plans are: 303 brit and 7.62x54R (180gr) and try to work up to full velocity Thursday also a few .327 federal 115gr. Future plans are for .50 JRH, .500 S&W, .50AE, and .41 mag.

If it works in the fat 30s the others shouldn't be any problem. I'm surprised in the 86 pages so far nobody has tried in a desert eagle, polygonal rifling and gas system to boot. This should be new ground (if you have tried please tell). The only complaints so far has been speed compared to lubing via star sizer. I'm new at this and speed will come with time but so far it's an average of 75/hr, this will improve.

Has anyone tried 314299s through a M1? I'm wondering how PC will work through my M1 or M1A. Someone in an earlier post asked about 8mm, 7.5 swiss.......I'm game for that.

Ebner

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    So far, I have only shot .357 with the pc. But I just got my .45LC yesterday, so I'll be shooting some of those this weekend. As for speed, I can do 160/hr with my little 8x10" tray. It holds 80 boolits and I can do a pan every 30 minutes in my little toaster oven. I just start a load and go rake leaves or do something in the yard for 20 minutes and then it takes about 5 mins to cool enough to dump, and another 5 mins to set up a new tray and respray.... repeat. Now that I know it works great, I'm really keeping an eye out for a bigger oven and am going to move up to some volume coating!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Hey Beagle, can you find something to use as a second tray? It'll greatly improve your throughput while you're waiting for a bigger oven.

At the scrapyard I bought a sheet of aluminum to make more trays, total of 4, and either get a second oven or fix things so I can use both tray slots in the oven I have. That'll keep me hoppin'.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen