RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS pro melt furnace

RCBS pro melt furnace

Anyone have one? Is it worth the $375 Midway wants for it?
    I have a Lee 20lb pot now. What is your take on this rather expensive bottom pour?
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Perma-Banned

I got two of them. I had the lees before. Once you go to a pro melt you will not go back. They are great. They do not drip and are smooth pouring. They also seem at least to me to maintain temp better.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had one for 22 years, worth every penny.

As usual with RCBS products, this is what I thought would be said.
    Getting tired of my "drip-O-matic"
    Guess I'll start saving my pennies!
    Thanks.
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Master
    I have one I bought back in the early 80"s. Never a problem, heats up a full pot in under 45 minutes. I just wished I had bought two when they were $150.
    Leadmelter
    MI

I want one!

Perma-Banned

The one nice thing I like is the set stop for the flow rate that you want. It works great and is super smooth.

Mine has never missed a beat. Its almost 30 years old.
    High Hook

Boolit Master

+100 on the RCBS Pro Melt. I only have one but I have cast about 10,000 boolits just this year without complaint.

I might use the Lee to re melt my sprues and ingots so I can keep up my casting rate, maybe even put the 'drip-o-matic' above the RCBS if I could make a stable platform and I had the amperage.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS has a $50.00 rebate. Until Oct 31 Midway had them for $319.00. I have one on backorder.

Boolit Grand Master

Bought mine in the late 70's or early 80's, was my main pot for many years. I only retired it to my soft alloy for the 40 pound capacity of the Magma for my most used alloy. I was sure glad I already had one when the price hit $100.00.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

I have both and I really can't explain the difference you just have to see it for yourself. It's like a luxury vehicle vs. a yugo, both will get you there but one does it better.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Le Loup Solitaire
    I bought a pro-melt in 1979 and have used it ever since with no problem of any kind. Thermostat is spot on, no dripping/leaking. I keep it clean and leave a couple of inches of lead in the pot when shutting down. RCBS has a rock solid guarantee if anyone needs it and their customer service is top-notch. Because of the 20 pound capacity I use it for my 4 cav molds. I also have an old Saeco which has a 10 pound pot so I use that one for my 2 cavs and 1 cavity molds. I paid top dollar for both of those back in the day and they have been worth every penny spent. LLS

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Bought mine in the late 70's or early 80's, was my main pot for many years. I only retired it to my soft alloy for the 40 pound capacity of the Magma for my most used alloy. I was sure glad I already had one when the price hit $100.00.

Rick

Rick, mine cost me nothing. Got it in 91 as a graduation gift from the inlaws when I finished pharmacy school.

I wouldn't have any problem buying one today, it will last plenty long to pay for itself.

OK. Now I really want one. Darn bills anyhow!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    I have both and I really can't explain the difference you just have to see it for yourself. It's like a luxury vehicle vs. a yugo, both will get you there but one does it better.
    I think this quote says it best.

My Lee 4-20 works well and I cast a lot of boolits and sinkers from it. Since I managed to get a Promelt at an estate sale for $80.00 a few years ago, I have used my Lee one time to cast snagging sinkers with.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    got one,started out with the lee the rcbs is more like professional equipment,head and shoulders above the lee stuff.mines a keeper-don't regret buying it.

Boolit Master

Pro Melt

I still use my old Pro melt that I bought in the 70`s ,before RCBS bought the company. the switch went bad and RCBS replaced it for free!

I've had mine for about 20 years and if it died tomorrow I'd be on the phone ordering another one. It has been 100% and from RCBS I would expect no less.

Longone

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Rick, mine cost me nothing. Got it in 91 as a graduation gift from the inlaws when I finished pharmacy school.

I wouldn't have any problem buying one today, it will last plenty long to pay for itself.
    All I got from mine after pharmacy school was dinner. Wow
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt