MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got myself an M1 Carbine

Boolit Buddy

Finally got myself an M1 Carbine

(Back story... Yes I'm bored! )

I grew up in a family where guns were pretty much a dirty word. When my uncle gave me a BB gun for my 16th birthday I came home the next day to find out my mother had tossed it. When my wife and I were dating her father (retired Army) invited me to shoot Sporting Clays and set the hook deep for the love of firearms. My next outing was him teaching me some basic rifle shooting on his "correct grade" CMP purchased carbine. Since then I've been on the look out but with prices on most of the nice USGI ones I've passed up quite a few.

The other night I saw one on a facebook group that looked pretty good and came with a bayonet, sling, and ammo pouch. Made him an offer $200 less than his asking price and he said yes. One minor detail... He lives 250 miles away and won't hold it for me if someone else shows up with the cash. ****. So after a discussion with my wife, we packed up our 3 week old son and we all got in the car at 4am to drive the 4 hours to go pick it up. Our thinking here was that he likes to sleep in the car and she might actually get some sleep. As it turns out that's the best sleep she's had since we had the little bugger! When we got there I couldn't have been more happy about the condition of the gun. It is nearly flawless and appears all correct.

Long story slightly less than longer... It's a 45 GM Inland with correct stock and barrel. I need to pull it apart and check the insides but I'm pretty confident i'll find that it all matches up. Stock is GORGEOUS and I'm sorry my photos don't do it justice. Unfortunately the bayonet is one of the reproductions made in the early 90's by the same knife manufacturer that made the original ones. Almost had me fooled to be honest. Now I need to get my hands on some brass, a mold, and get to loading! I've got some proper pull down powder around here somewhere....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyCarbine  010.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	86069

Name:	MyCarbine  004.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	86067

Name:	MyCarbine  008.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	86068

Name:	MyCarbine  001.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	86066

Boolit Buddy
    CONGRATS! And BTW - that wife is a keeper!

Boolit Buddy
    So she tells me... often!

I thought about using this as trade fodder to a collector because it's almost in too nice of shape to shoot but once she saw it she told me I'd better hold on to this one. Normally she doesn't get too excited about guns (exception being my PSL) but I think she's right. This one is going to stick around and hopefully I get to tell our son about the trip to pick up the rifle that I'm handing down to him!

Shoot it! No point in having a gun that doesn't shoot!

Boolit Buddy
    I did say "almost"... It's going to get shot, I'll just be a little more careful than I am with some of my other already dinged up milsurps.

Boolit Grand Master

You'll find that M1 Carbine should do quite well with cast GC'd bullets of which several good moulds are available for it. Lots of us love the little M1 Carbine and shoot lots of cast through them......they are a joy to shoot.

Larry Gibson

Yup, mine loves cast boolits. Cheap to make and shoot forever on the cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    Any mold recommendations??

I use either of these: 311465 (weighing in at 128 gr) and 311359 (Weighing in at 119.6 gr) (thats with loob and GC)

Boolit Buddy
    Cool, thanks! I checked NOE just on a whim and they don't appear to have any of the carbine ones in stock. Bummer. Probably a good thing since I've already got two JT molds coming and another NOE this week. Probably best to not spend a ton of money on another one for a little while.

I take that back... I guess this is a reproduction of the 311465: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=433

Might have to check that out after all.

Congrats! You're going to love it, they're neat little rifles!

My advice is - don't sweat the "correctness" aspect, or the repro bayonet, it's really not that big of a deal. Love it for what it is, and shoot the snot out of it. Those carbines have been rebuilt so many times in their service life that finding a "correct" one is nearly impossible, unless you find an old GI selling one that he smuggled home from the war in his duffle bag. If you find one of those, stop and buy some lottery tickets on the way home!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not 100% sure of the history on this other than the gentleman that owned it passed away a couple years ago. His wife tried to give it to their son and he apparently wasn't interested in it. (WHAT?!) In any case that meant I got a great deal on a beautiful rifle. I have my C&R and love my old war horses. This one is just a lot prettier than the rest so I'm dying to know if the internals are all correct. Really don't expect them all to match but if they are all from the same general time frame I'll be happy.

Boolit Master
    My Inland is one of my all time favorite guns. These things are really fun to shoot, and easy to reload and cast. About the only gripe I've got is that the little 30 carbine brass is really hard to find in the grass.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Congrats on a great piece of American history.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Mine like the Lyman plain base 130 gr bullet.

Le Loup Solitaire
    IIRC there were 9 manufacturers/makers of the US Carbine. The original design had a different kind of sight that was replaced by the one that is on your carbine. It is adjustable for elevation and windage. The mfg markings are tough to see as they are under the rear sight, but the rest of things are all the same. There were variations such as the paratrooper stock, the switch for full auto fire and other accessories (if you can afford them). The carbine is a fun gun to shoot and there is a tendency to go through a lot of ammo without realizing it, but keep it clean and well oiled. Good shooting. LLS

Boolit Master
    Heres an excellent site with information on all sorts of M-1 carbines, variants, commercial clones, and even a CO2 powered training carbine.
    http://bavarianm1carbines.com/rifles.html

Any cartouches/stamps/markings on the stock and/or handguard?

Boolit Buddy
    Has the right mark in the sling well and a very faint cartouche. Hope to get it apart today and will check hand guard

That's one of the best all time best plinkers and surprisingly more accurate with cast boolits. Enjoy...
    High Hook