Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The new sign for the edge of my driveway...

The new sign for the edge of my driveway...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25 MPH.pdf 
Views:	162 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	86111

I was at work this morning when my wife called. She let my dog out to do his morning business--which he's really good about doing across the road in the ditch instead of in the front yard. A truck, flying down the dirt road that accesses the houses and property down from us, hit him doing about 45+ on his way back--with my wife standing right there--and doesn't even hit the brakes much less stop.

Fast forward--no tires got him, but rolled him pretty bad against the underside. Nothing broken, but lots of cuts, deep bruising, and some neurological that I hope will pass once things start healing up and the swelling goes down.

Wife got a good look at the truck, and the #*$&@^#$&*$*(@# (insert whatever choice phrase you wish here--they all passed my lips this morning) had better hope to God I'm not as mad when I find him as I was a couple hours ago. There's a handful out in the area that seem to think our road is a secondary highway--40 to 50 isn't uncommon. Besides us, neighbors on both sides also have animals AND KIDS who are always coming and going amongst us. The county's answer to numerous complaints was to make the 25MPH sign a little bigger and then say "there's not much else we can do for you out there"... Well, okay then--a 147gr. 30 caliber penetrator through an engine block oughta slow things down a little since they won't let us install speed strips... "We wouldn't advise that" was the best they could muster this time.

End of public rant---I'm going to go relieve some frustration on some paper targets... decorated with black pick-up trucks instead of bulls-eye circles...
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Banned

Bad news. Praying for your dog's complete recovery.

I'm am so sorry about your dog. PM sent

I have seen locals swerve across the city streets to hit stray dogs, but never saw one connect, yet. Must be a cultural thing, since the drivers have all been brown haired, brown skinned, and drove beat to c-rap "peekups."
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear about your dog

I live in the city and where I am there are more cats then you can shake a stick at and you know something everyone waits for them as some are really old and it takes them a while to walk across the street and yes the neighbors are watching almost any time of the day there is at least one person who is watching who comes and goes and how fast.

I have also seen kids come out of between parked vehicles some on bikes some chasing a ball or some just chasing each other I travel slow in this area more to see what I can see than anything else, but you know is doing so I also may save a pet or child or both.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Banned
    Hope your dog pulls through ok its hard to let something like this go especially when they don't even stop to check on em. Just please don't do something stupid so we don't have to have a raffle for the bail money.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Sorry to hear this and I know how you feel. I live on a narrow but paved road that has become a "pass through"road. Those who live on it all have pets and certainly don't speed....it's the people using it as a pass through. many morning's I've been passed by those people. The road is maybe 2 miles long and another 2 miles to the local store for coffee. They fly by me like I'm standing still...reach the highway take off again and I pull into the store right behind them. Makes no sense but it has become common place. No law enforcement here so no tickets etc.

Boolit Buddy
    People are creatures of habit. Give it a week, next friday ,same time , would be a good time to say hello.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear about your dog. I hope he makes a speedy recovery. I live in a town(one square mile) where the speed limit is 25 on all but three main roads. You'd think it's a racetrack with how fast people drive. I pull out of my alley like the people are doing 25 even if they aren't. One guy made the mistake of getting on my bumper, flashing his lights, honking the horn and lots of yelling and hand gestures. He didn't realize that two friends of mine pulled out behind him. When I slowly stopped they boxed him in so he couldn't go anywhere. I've never seen someone grovel quicker when three people walked up to his window and asked him what his problem was. Luckily the cops are good about speeders. If you call and complain they will set up and start pulling people over for a few hours and then move on to the next spot.

I'm sorry fer yer dog, hope he makes a complete recovery.

Here's the "neighborhood" from the front porch. Not real high on the county's priority list for speed enforcement... But I have some good advise and ideas brewing. Thanks for all the well-wishes, prayers, etc. Always appreciated, and always a genuine pleasure to be in such good company.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROAD.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	86120
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master

Hope your dog recovers.

Four feet of 2 x 4 with some spikes in it work pretty good to take out a couple tires and maybe even more. "Must have been construction waste that fell out of the speeding truck that came through right before you."

Boolit Master
    Sorry about the dog, try laying a piece of 3 inch pipe across the road, when they hit it at speed things get interesting. A very slight depression in the road of an inch or two makes things interesting at speed as well. the depression would be fine at 25mph but could cause a real problem at 45-50.
    jim

Boolit Master

Good luck hope the dog recovers and learns to watch for traffic better some dogs and even cats do others just don't . I am not sure of your laws here the owner could be ticketed for letting the dog run it is rare but has happened. My dog is good about going off the lawn in the woods or bush i am on a dirt road but 50 mph and faster traffic is common Wally also looks for traffic which is good.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

In Remembrance
    Hopefully your dog recovers fully, and maybe learns to stay out of the road when there is a vehicle coming, some do some don't. I wouldn't booby trap the road or do anything to endanger a human life in anyway over this, others are driving the same road.

Boolit Master
    Sadly the only thing that will work here is localized speed bumps, They have been popping up all over LA in areas where the speeders have become a pain.

Mostly residentail areas see this. Your county officials should be able to do this! I would think a small group of concerned local home owner / residents and maybe one viscous LAWYER making an apperance at the next local government back patting session would put the fear of God ( and or a lawsuit) into them once they realize your serious about slowing down traffic.

Should this fail to work my next step would be to locate a very used Yugo and invite the neighbors to shoot it full of holes!

Anything short of grenades and explosives could be used: Then set the car in plain sight of the traffic with you wifes sign 100 feet in front of it, posted from both directions of course!

That will get a reaction from the local government,LOL!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Sadly the only thing that will work here is localized speed bumps,
    I hate this solution. There areas by me that have them. They're in areas that people use to cut through to avoid traffic. A few of my vehicles are extremely low and I can get stuck on the speed bumps if I don't cross them at the correct angle. But I also can't get into and out of driveways or get a jack under these cars as well :laugh:

Boolit Master
    I"ll tell ya I am not found of the speed bump answer myself, but we've had more than one case of Moronic racers doing over 100 in residental areas losing control and killing themselves and innocents in thier beds!

Plenty of places around to take that action doing it in Gramma's front yard is Magnum Stupid!

So while I hate speed bumps they deter the ones who have no sense! By the way the ones used here a very wide, 2 foot, and very low 4 inch max I think. Driving 25 give you a slight roll but go faster and it canget ugly fast!

Thats what the OP needs.

In Remembrance
    LOL The frontend shops love them.

Moderator Emeritus

Used to be a problem in front of my house as kids left school and headed out of town burning tires and racing in a 30mph zone with kids and pets. Then I gave the deputies and town cop permission to use my driveway and hide behind a big bush. 45 tickets(about 1/4 of the school) later the kids quit racing in my end of town.