RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I a hoarder?

Boolit Buddy

Nope!
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    In "The Ant and the Grasshopper" was the ant a hoarder or simply prepared for winter? I am 65 and may have more than I will ever use of some things. Does that make me a hoarder? Maybe, but you can call me anything you like except unprepared.

I whored around some in my youth...hold it - What was the question again?
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    "Hoarder" is a term used by the "have nots" to describe those who had the foresight to plan ahead in anticipation of shortages, and lay in a little extra to get them by
    Remember the old BoyScout Motto?? Be Prepared.
    If you purchase your supply when it is available to all. it is not hoarding, it is being prepared.
    I do however prefer to rotate stock and replace what I shoot.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub
    When I used to shoot a lot, I would always buy something at any gun show I attended. If I had opened my last sleeve of (whatever) primers, I would buy a back up. The same applied to my go to powders. Later on when I had trouble trying to find a place to shoot, or didn't have the time, I continued to make small buys at gun shows. Buying 1K of primers, a pound or two of powder, and a couple of thousand cast bullets doesn't constitute hoarding. On Sundays, there would always be someone selling left over cast bullets for a a very good price so he wouldn't have to carry them home. I have never sold any of those items, only gave away some to close friends who got caught short. In essence, I just did not want to run out of an item, but at the same time did not want an inordinate amount of anything. The only thing I messed up on was 22s. Who would have ever thought they would disappear?

Boolit Master

Wow rattletrap1970! I sure wish that I had your organizational skills...........and space!

Boolit Master

What did you say you're address was?

It's not called hoarding any more. It's really just pre-stocking inventory.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

you need more lead.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master

Fellow Boy Scout here. Nowhere near the volume but even during the recent shortage I was not without some supplies. The shelf is slowly filling up again which is comforting. When I started to see pallets of bulk .223 and .308 at Sportsman's warehouse I knew powder and primers would start showing up shortly thereafter.

I've got coffee cans of cast/powder coated/lubed boolits, and all of my brass is either loaded or sized/trimmed/prepped. My pistol ammo stayed topped off with at least 5k of .40, 9mm, and 2k of .45 ACP. (Need to build up more.45 for sure)

I've had several buckets of .223 and 5.56 brass sized and ready for loading, just waiting to finish building 2 ARs (had to build momma's first) and make sure my standard load works. It does and so I've loaded 500 in the past few days with another 500 to be completed shortly. Momma is a shooter and so I'm sure 20 lbs of Lyman 225-415 55 gr boolits I've cast and powder coated won't last long.

I'm down to 1000 22 checks but my CheckMaker from PatMarlins will get here when he's done configuring for the new caliber. Life is good and getting better. It will be much better when I've got 8lb jugs of Unique, Bullseye, and 4227 on the shelf, 10k of small and large pistol, small and large rifle, and all of the brass is topped off. Trying to be a good Boy Scout.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

You are among friends...not hoarding keep doing your thing.
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

A hoarder? Geez, your not even prepared yet. I've bought very little since this latest craziness started just cause I won't pay the obscene prices but if I was down to what you have I would probably get the nervous dribbles and start paying.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

There is no such thing as a "hoarder" unless you are surrounded by "looters"....another often used term in Atlas Shrugged.

"Who is John Galt?"

Boolit Master
    You're off to a good start. Sounds like money is tight for you so as long as you are not shorting real necessities to stock up on shooting supplies you're doing just fine. Being prepared is about balance and not just being prepared with just shooting supplies for the zombie apocalypse.

Having said that if I were in your position I'd be suffering from a massive anxiety attack from lack of supplies.

My wife says I'm a hoarder..........

Boolit Master

If I only had 400 pounds of lead I'd be worried. Do I have OCD?
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by spfd1903 View Post
    There is no such thing as a "hoarder" unless you are surrounded by "looters"....another often used term in Atlas Shrugged.

"Who is John Galt?"
    Looters?? How about 'Moochers"?

Boolit Master
    Being prepared is about balance --this is starting to seep in I cant eat the lead or drink my powder
    If I only had 400 pounds of lead I'd be worried --I have anxiety about all of my shooting supplies

Banned

yep 150,000 primers are pretty worthless without the powder to burn, or the boolits to hold everything together.
    you gotta have some balance there.
    100 pounds of rice and 100 pounds of dried beans and enough water to cook them should keep the house from tipping over.

See tag line below
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Nice set up, makes me want to finish the second floor of my workshop!

Boolit Master

"Lead I am at about 400lbs mix of pure and COWW ingots "

Your real light on lead! I'd get working on that.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington