Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Has anyone vacuum sealed cartridges??

Has anyone vacuum sealed cartridges??

I'm not sure which forum to put this in, so please move this if its in the wrong one.

I have a friend that send me a picture of some 9mm cartridges in a vacuum sealed bag. The idea is for long term storage. It looks pretty cool. Have any of you ever done this and did you have any issues with the ammo afterwards?

Boolit Buddy
    I do buy not for storage. Most over the time I hunt with a TC.
    Ill Vacuum Pack 4 rounds and a Bic Lighter to carry in my zippered jacket pocket.
    For the cal of the day....... Dont know why (OCD) ........

My vacuum sealer is used for a LOT of things besides food--ammo included. Never had a problem, makes anything put inside hurricane proof.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master

I'm not sure what the advantage would be. It certainly couldn't hurt I guess.

Here's my take after four decades of shooting ammo in the military that was often stored for years.

Most ammo that I was issued in the Army was in watertight M2A ammo cans that were incapable of holding a vacuum. Over the last decade or so, much of the 5.56mm Green Tip ammo issued CONUS (Stateside) came in shrink wrap that was waterproof, but neither the cans or the shrink wrap were vacuum sealed. Most of the foreign surplus ammo (German, Russian, Romanian, etc.) that I've bought was often in a sealed metal (think sardine can) container or in heavy vinyl "combat packs", but I don't think they were anything more than water and air tight.

I'm sure that if there was an advantage or some value to vacuum sealing, the military, which often stores ammo for many decades, would be all over it.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 10-19-2013 at 12:48 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Mold
    sound like a good idea. anyone played with the fiocchi sealed cans? there supposed to be good to go for years

Boolit Grand Master

My goal is to keep moisture out, air won't hurt anything. I can see the value of sealing out moisture using one of these machines but don't see the point of pulling a vacuum first. Couldn't hurt, I guess.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Never vacuumed loaded ammo, but I do vacuum pack powder that I know I will not be using for a long time. I have also vacuum packed primers if I know I will not be loading for a while.

Thanks for the input folks.

Boolit Buddy
    It works great. Makes a nice hard flat package that's easy to stack, can be buried with no worries about corrosion, and doesn't clink or rattle. Small enough to stash in odd places.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Just my 2 cents worth which really isn't worth that . . .

I would think this would also work well with cast boolets!? I've just started reloading but I did cast up about a 1,000 boolets for the 38 spl. I kind of like the ida of vacuum packing 'em after they're lubed and ready to be loaded - say in packs of 100. I've shot BP for years and I used to cast round balls up and then store them in plastic freezer containers - I'd spray 'em down with WD40 or similar to try and keep 'em good. I'd cast up a lot in different calibers - and some didn't get used for a long time. I would think that vacuum packing those would keep them nice and shiny until you were ready to use them?

Boolit Grand Master

If you're looking to avoid oxidation a vacuum environment may just accomplish that. And as pointed out above a vacuum bag may stack better than an airtight bag.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.