WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Sugar beets?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Sugar beets?

I grew some sugar beets for the salad greens. Now I have some whopping big beets. What should I do with them?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

feed them to the deer. Sugar beats are usually used to make sugar not to eat.

Boolit Master
    Try some julianned up as a raw vegie snack. When going hunting here in western Minnesota in the fall there are frequently sugar beets on the highways - they fall off the trucks taking them to staging yards for their train ride to processing. Or you can cook them too!

ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Grand Master

Ask Reverend Al for a recipe...If anyone can prepare them he will know how...and have real scrumptious photo's to go with it.

Gary

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Last year I tried making wine from them. No ca-ca bueno. Maybe I will ration them out to the deer, once season opens. Or may just toss them all in the yard now, no more deer than there are around here.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Just out of curiousity, I goggled sugar beet recipes and got very little. Outside of making sugar and syrup, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of cooking and eating them. I called my cajun aunt but she didn't have a recipe, said they didn't grow in Louisiana , maybe the yankee's knowed how to fix them.
    Gary

Boolit Master

Borscht??????

Boolit Master

Turn them into sugar then use the sugar to make wine !!!!!! A good sand hill plum ??
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    What's the texture like of these? I ask because sugar cane is so tough and fibrous that it cannot be made edible. I'm curious if sugar beets are similar. You should start with a small piece of one, say a 1" cube. If its too hard or bitter to eat raw then boil it checking every few minutes with a fork for tenderness. If it hasn't softened or lost its bitterness in 45min of boiling its not going to. In that case definitely give to the deer. If it does become soft and palletable then you can try including them in a recipe of some kind.

They slice easy. I chunked some up for the critters.

Makem into mash, and boil them though a copper pipe
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Moderator Emeritus

They are not edible, they taste like **** and are very fibrous. Use them to make molasses then rum...

Boolit Master
    Best eating deer I ever tasted was a mule deer buck that had been living on the edge of a sugar beet field all the summer before.

Boolit Master

MaryB said it right.

Moderator Emeritus

Sugar beet plant near me sends out tankers of molasses for cattle feed and to make alcohol. They don't even make white sugar at this plant.

When I was a kid my mother pickled smaller ones that weren't too bad in texture yet, just like a red beet. They were good. The big woody ones just wouldn't work though I'm sure..

In Remembrance
    Fresh dug ones will bloat and kill calves. I don't know if there is a certain stage they do this in, or even if they would ever hurt deer, but they used to dig them and pile them in big piles at the edge of the field before taking them to the sugar plant, and it would kill cattle that got into them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Had them sliced real thin. Julienne like you would jicama.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin