MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 64 in 32 Spl

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a pre-64 Win in .32 special a couple of years ago for $280 that included two boxes of factory ammo and came
    with the Scout scope. Guy just wanted to get rid of it. Condition is excellent. A couple of minor, but honest, dings/scratches
    but bluing and bore are fabulous. Can't believe I finally got a great deal on a gun. Usually I'm the one taking the beating
    and giving out the good deals. Shooting the RCBS 32-170 out of it. Was using 5744 but now in the process of switching
    to 2400. Just couldn't make the 5744 work.

Last edited by Fugowii; 09-15-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Boolit Master

Is that one of the Redfield scopes from the 60s? I've sure looked for one in complete condition, but all I seem to occasionally see is the scope sans mount for the the 94. As I recall, they came together in the same package. When younger it was no big deal, but with aging eyes that scope looks like just the ticket. It's smaller size and weight make it perfect for the lever action rifles.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I used to load for a buddies Win. 71 348 with the pistol grip and short magazine tube. After handling that configuration, I have a liking for a model 64 as it feels really good shooting and carrying. I was outbid several times trying to get one, then snag a pre-64 94 for one heck of a bargain. Still would love to find a 64 but I believe the word is out. I may settle for a post 64 model 64 just to have one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetzer View Post
    Is that one of the Redfield scopes from the 60s? I've sure looked for one in complete condition, but all I seem to occasionally see is the scope sans mount for the the 94. As I recall, they came together in the same package. When younger it was no big deal, but with aging eyes that scope looks like just the ticket. It's smaller size and weight make it perfect for the lever action rifles.
    Yup, it's a 2X, PN or Model or SN Z11001. I don't know what the number means. The mount is a Redfield M294.

Boolit Master

Thanks Fugowii. That'll give me some ammo for an internet search.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Is that a 1" diameter scope?

Boolit Master

I'm pretty sure that it's a 3/4" tube. That's one of the reasons I want to find one as they weigh very little and shouldn't disrupt the balance of the rifle all that much.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 09-17-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy

I bought this 94 as a cast bullet gun. Tried RDs, the lovern 8mm, and a Lee's170 8mm. When I loaded the bullet base to the end of the case neck I kept running into the rifling. Got me one of accurate molds 323 160gc and all is well. Oh yeah had a gunsmith in Gooding shorten the barrel to get rid of the ramp front so I could use a lyman receiver sight without too much elevation, and the shooter is really handy now.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice rifle, Sal! Good to hear from you. Only mould I have right now is the RD, need to get back to that project, just cast up a fresh batch.
    Try about 14 grains of 2400, Fugowii. Used to shoot with a guy from CO that had personalized plates "FUGAWI". Always wondered how he got that one past the DOT folks.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Tex, nice to see you. I've been using 4198 and was warned away from 5744..Do you have any idea what 14 grains would get me with a 160 grain bullet? Oh yeah, what is a Fugowii? Its not like where the fugowii? I miss agarn.
    Last edited by salvadore; 09-18-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: wanted to

Boolit Grand Master

Oh yeah, what is a Fugowii? Its not like where the fugowii? -Salvadore

Short version, it's a fictional Native American tribe with hereditary issues with navigation. Great joke, well told to me by a shooter from CO who happens to be a Native American.
    I'm playing with Universal and 2400 in my 32 WS. It's pretty much a plinker and those powders seem to offer economy and accuracy, just need a PB boolit to save the cost and fuss of a gas check.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, I thought it was a take off from F troops Hekawis as in where the hekawi.
    I finally found the accurate mold that works just fine for me and have a 32/20 load for my OP 115 gr PB over 3.5gr 231 I will be trying in my 94 Marlin for economy. Good luck on the load Tex.

Boolit Grand Master

14 grs 2400 is getting us about 1600fps under the 170 gr Ranch Dog boolit in 30-30, suspect will get the same in 32 WS. I have a 32-20 mould that drops a nice little SWC boolit, looking forward to trying it in my 30-30. I've tried 27 grs RL7 in both 32 WS and 30-30 but I get a pretty annoying wobble at 25 and 50 yds and missing holes @ 100. Groups seem to be coming together up until that point. Alloy in the 32 WS is HT 50/50 w/ a touch of tin, 30-30 is ACWW. Both do very well @ 1600 with the 2400 or Universal load.
    I guess it is a takeoff from the F Troop, must have missed that.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=BruceB;2362415]Well, I surely enjoy MY visits to Cabela's, too. Only problem is that I only get there maybe every year or so. That will change in the near future as I will be re-locating to Reno soon.

WHAT? Leaving Winnemucca? What are all the local shooters gonna do for advice and help?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Dad had a model 64 in 219 Zipper, but the barrel was bad (warped when it warmed up) and he wasn't gunsmithing anymore. Sold it around 1980.

We had a Mount Fugowii behind one of the Sheriff sub-stations. Legend said that the reason you could never find the Fugowii indians was because even they didn't know where they were.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=Shuz;2400504][QUOTE=BruceB

WHAT? Leaving Winnemucca? What are all the local shooters gonna do for advice and help?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I will be setting up bachelor digs somewhere in Reno once we get everything squared-away here, and hopefully after I learn to get a bit more mobile with my "new" left leg. Due to ongoing issues with my remaining foot, so far I've been unable to re-learn the art of walking so I'm still confined to the wheelchair. I had what I HOPE was the final surgery on the foot on Sept 13 and will see the surgeon tomorrow for a follow-up.

After 47 years my wife can't stand me any longer so we hope to get through an "amicable" divorce. She's seen me through three cancers, two strokes, major heart surgery, and now all these diabetes-related amputation troubles. She's served her time.

Gonna be VERY STRANGE, doing for myself after all this time. It would be a huge help to be able to walk again to help me along, but I reckon I'll be moving regardless. Maybe I'll have to find an apartment with disabled access.

NVCurmudgeon has been a staunch helper and companion through all this; I expect that we'll now become even closer 'shooting buddies' when I don't live 170 miles down the highway..... that will be one bright spot in a very gloomy outlook.

I suppose the local shooters will simply have to look out for themselves.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Is that a 1" diameter scope?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetzer View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it's a 3/4" tube. That's one of the reasons I want to find one as they weigh very little and shouldn't disrupt the balance of the rifle all that much.
    Yup, 3/4" tube. When I put up my user name I was suffering from drain bamage and couldn't come to any clarity on a clever handle, hence the Fugowii user name. It has no relevance to anything at all. Best of luck to you in the future Bruce!

Thanks for the 14 gr of 2400 tip TX. Sounds like a great place to start.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the 14 gr of 2400 tip TX. Sounds like a great place to start. -Fugowii

Hope it works out for you, will be loading a few myself when I recover from my weekend. My shooting buddy chrono'd that load in an 1898 94 in 30-30, very low sd and good accuracy. Fired some in my 2008 vintage 336 Saturday and it likes them as well. Can't wait to try it in my 94 in 32WS, should have a little more zip than the Universal load I've been piddling with.

Boolit Buddy
    About a year ago, I picked up a 26" Take down standard Winchester rifle in .32 Spec. at Tulsa. The bore was fantastic. Until this weekend, I hadn't shot it. Saturday found me at the farm for an all day range session which included the .32. The rifle dates to 1923. I had four loads prepped...two with the J-bullets and two with the Lyman 323470 170gr Loverin. The key was to find something the rifle showed as promising. As it turned out...it liked everything!

The J bullets got 3031, and the Loverin got 5744. At 50 yards with the factory flat top sights and fine front bead, I was really impressed with the rifle.

The Loverin bullet in front of 21.0gr of 5744 shot right at an inch with my tired eyes and weary shoulder (I'd been shooting the 50-100 prior). Velocity was 1956 over the chrony at 10'. Alloy was 20:1 with Gator checks.

Backing off to 20.0 gr of 5744 opened up the group another inch and the velocity (for sake of taking notes) was 1873fps . The J-bullets didn't perform quite as well with the 3031, but more than adequate for hunting purposes...but why go that route when the Loverin worked so great? But it was a testing session none the less, and I shot all 40 rounds I had loaded up. Deer season this year will find me carrying that rifle with the Loverin bullet. Next I need to try it in my wifes carbine

Ed

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugowii View Post
    Yup, 3/4" tube. When I put up my user name I was suffering from drain bamage and couldn't come to any clarity on a clever handle, hence the Fugowii user name. It has no relevance to anything at all. Best of luck to you in the future Bruce!
    Hmmm, I was going to ask if it had anything to do with this group....Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fugowie_zps8fc4c367.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	82658