MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Met the tinsel fairy today!

Boolit Master

Met the tinsel fairy today!

I use aged planer shavings to flux my melt. After planning material that has been stored dry for some time, I plane it and put the shavings in open plastic pails for using as flux material. I usually leave them in the heated shop for several weeks before using them. Have done this for several years with no incident. Today I added some to the melt in my pot and started to spoon the edges of the pot to clean it off a bit. Some of the shaving got submersed as they often do but this time the reaction was a bit violent. lead was flying everywhere. Fortunately I did not get but a few small pieces on my neck and shirt. Could have been a lot worse. I think I will let the shaving char and dry a bit before any spooning is done in the future.

Boolit Grand Master
    She visited me Saturday a couple times. Had a tiny bit of damp lead in a bucket of range scrap. This was stuff I collected months ago and it sat in my garage.

No burns on me but the drive way needs some cleaning....

Boolit Master
    good to hear everything came out OK. Its a lot better when she just bumps you. Rather that runs you over. Kevin

Boolit Grand Master
    Good point. She just passed by my place, didn't come for the weekend......

Boolit Master

Glad your OK! I keep all my sawdust in sealed containers and let it char before stirring for just that reason.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Master

Glad there were no Dr visits. Often when I mix my sawdust in I get a boiling sound and feel on my spoon but never the tinsel fairy. Maybe I will stop pushing my luck and let it burn before stirring well. What surprises me is the sawdust has been in a cardboard box on my garage floor for at least six months. Humidity is almost non existent (20% avg summer day) and we only get on avg 12" of rain/yr. So for all practical purposes it is moisture in the sawdust.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Please, no one start any more threads that have tinsel fariy in the title. It makes me cringe and gives me nightmares. Thanks. But really, retread, I'm glad you are okay to cast another day. Hey, that rhymes. I like it!
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

What's the flash point of wood resin or wood oil for the species you are using?
    It needn't be water in the shavings.

Boolit Master

I believe that was either fir or hemlock from the look of it. As far as the flash point I couldn't tell you. I thought of the same thing but I also live on the coast and the weather has been foggy and damp of late. It probably absorbed some moisture when I had the doors or windows open. In any case it will be charred or dried before using submerged.
    Even thought of putting it in my food drier and then in foodsaver bags, just to be on the safe side (wife should appreciate that).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I believe that was either fir or hemlock from the look of it. As far as the flash point I couldn't tell you. I thought of the same thing but I also live on the coast and the weather has been foggy and damp of late. It probably absorbed some moisture when I had the doors or windows open. In any case it will be charred or dried before using submerged.
    Even thought of putting it in my food drier and then in foodsaver bags, just to be on the safe side (wife should appreciate that).
    Headin to Newport for a 10 day getaway the first of next month.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Glad to hear you are ok and it wasnt real bad!! I always keep my torch handy and before I will put a spoon into the mix I have that torch out burning that sawdust.... It dont get stirred until the flames go out.

Doc

Boolit Master

I always keep my torch handy and before I will put a spoon into the mix I have that torch out burning that sawdust.... It dont get stirred until the flames go out.

Doc

Me to
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Doc Holliday View Post
    Glad to hear you are ok and it wasnt real bad!! I always keep my torch handy and before I will put a spoon into the mix I have that torch out burning that sawdust.... It dont get stirred until the flames go out.

Doc
    Great idea, thanks!

Yes, leet everything char completely before spooning into the melt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Glad there were no Dr visits. Often when I mix my sawdust in I get a boiling sound and feel on my spoon but never the tinsel fairy. Maybe I will stop pushing my luck and let it burn before stirring well. What surprises me is the sawdust has been in a cardboard box on my garage floor for at least six months. Humidity is almost non existent (20% avg summer day) and we only get on avg 12" of rain/yr. So for all practical purposes it is moisture in the sawdust.
    Cardboard will attract moisture thru absorbtion. I read that somewhere years ago and it just stuck with me. I don't know if its true or not, but it's just a little tidbit that might be true and could cause a visit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Cardboard will attract moisture thru absorbtion. I read that somewhere years ago and it just stuck with me. I don't know if its true or not, but it's just a little tidbit that might be true and could cause a visit.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    I work a dedicated run at a cardboard mill. I'll ask the experts
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

My favorite thing is to look at my garage door and walls to see the highest spots stuck to the walls!

Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    True. Cardboard box on a concrete floor WILL wick moisture out of the concrete. I stopped putting boxes on concrete floors many years ago for that reason. Nothing to do with smelting, just picking up boxes of stuff and the bottom falling out.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Other critters may decide to call your sawdust home.

All of those creatures do contain lots of moisture.

Let that pretty smelling stuff turn a very BLACK powder before trying to stir it in.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.