Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you harden pure lead?

Yes, the boolits that you had already cast, although hot, do not pose any explosive threat, it is the water going into your lead pot that you have to worry about.

Read an interesting article on hardening lead alloys (94/6/2). Heat it to 180C, swage (compress it by 15-20%), raise the temp to 220C, soak for a while then WD into chilled water. I didn't know lead was compressible. Not easy for us home guys to do but it raises the strength to ~15 times the normal WD strength. That should be about the same as a solid copper slug. Wow. Guess it might work for the lead wire swaging crowd.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting. Also, is there a way to make lead heavier? Or is there a heavier alternative that can be used as a core? I have some .800" jackets from Corbin and the absolute heaviest bullet I can get out of them, with a bit of a larger "soft tip" than I would like, is 80gn. I can get a beautiful open tip at about 79gns. I'm shooting for 90-100gn. I have a gentleman locally, and I'm sure there are more out there, who is looking for a heavy 22cal bullet loaded light, to be shot subsonic out of a 1 in 6 twist, 22" .223.
    I shot some open tip, 79grainers, out of my Savage model 12FV with 26", 1 in 9 and it didn't do too bad. I got it down to 1900fps and it was still close to 1 MOA. Anyway...any ideas on a heavier boolit core?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Read an interesting article on hardening lead alloys (94/6/2). Heat it to 180C, swage (compress it by 15-20%), raise the temp to 220C, soak for a while then WD into chilled water. I didn't know lead was compressible. Not easy for us home guys to do but it raises the strength to ~15 times the normal WD strength. That should be about the same as a solid copper slug. Wow. Guess it might work for the lead wire swaging crowd.
    You have a link to that article?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    COWW (theoretically) = 10BHN
    Garden variety COWW's now a days are eith Bhn13.5 or 15.3. Bhn 10 is totally old weights. Change the formula
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I have been casting HTWW bullets for over 25 years and have never had a problem getting any clip on WW metal up to at least BHN22. I would be afraid anything much harder might become brittle. I know BHN 22 will easily penetrate engine blocks and as I don't expect to ever take on anything bigger than a V-8 I am content.

Snider. I'll get it to you, it is a patent doc. Legal to use as long as you obey the rules.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclogum bill View Post
    .How can you tell Peweter from other metals . In truth, I really don't have a clue. Aluminum as opposed to peweter ?. Does it require a hotter flame?.
    Tin (and real pewter) creaks when you bend it. Nothing else you'd mistake for tin does this.

I must look pretty odd in the local thrift shops going from goblet to goblet bending the stems a little.

Boolit Man
    there is an easy way to test - but - I hear these xray guns are shockingly expensive.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-29 16.14.58.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	80996