RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Modified 45/45/10 TL recipe?

Modified 45/45/10 TL recipe?

I would like to make up something like the popular 45/45/10 but don't have JPW on hand and haven't seen it in local stores. I do have several pounds of pure carnauba and several pounds of triple filtered beeswax. Mixing 45/45/10 with straight carnauba turned out too thick, more like a paste.

It seems like just about everything has already been tried by someone here at least once, often ad nauseam. Before I get too far into this, I thought I'd ask what others have done. I scanned through the monster lube recipe sticky, but nothing jumped out at me. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if I missed something.

I also have the usual assortment of solvents, lubricants, oils, etc. available.

Thanks,

Chris

Boolit Master
    I have been using Minwax Paste Finishing Wax in mine because I had it on the shelf. It works as well as when I used JPW in my applications.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try using beeswax instead of JPW. Maybe use 90 percent beeswax and 10 percent carnauba?
    If it comes out thick then heat it up, add more mineral spirits, and lube some bullets. Hating the bullets first will keep the coating thin.

Boolit Master

It's been a while since I played with 45-45-10 and made my own for some 38 target loads. I was out of JPW so here is how I did it.
    I heated up some ( Xlox/Alox + 50% mineral spirits) Until it smoked a little
    Then I heated a pinch of pure Carnauba flakes up in a round pan slowly stirred until it was all mixed. Let it smoke just a little more while heating
    Then I placed the bullets in and mixed spread out to cool and loaded..
    I'm not sure if this will give you the full potential that 45-45-10 will but for 38s who cares

Remember JPW has a low % of carnauba in it to begin with, the balance is petro and/or solvents.
    Try not to start a fire while making this , so you don't need a Mega heater.
    The most heat you need is 175 Deg F

If lubed properly it will be hard to tell the bullets are lubed. A little goes a long way

Too much Carnauba the lube will flake off

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar

Gentlemen,

JPW is usually in stock in Lowes's in the "cleaning supplies" area. Priced most times at $5/$6 per can. I have never gone into Lowes and not found it in stock and on the shelves. One might also check Wally World, same section.

Jerry
    Carolina Cast Bullets
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Banned

jpw is about 5% carnuba the other is @75% paraffin and the rest is solvents.
    45/45/10 comes out at about 2% carnuba when done.
    I add beeswax to my version of 45/45/lube at about 20% of the 45/45 part.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Try using beeswax instead of JPW. Maybe use 90 percent beeswax and 10 percent carnauba?
    If it comes out thick then heat it up, add more mineral spirits, and lube some bullets. Hating the bullets first will keep the coating thin.
    I tried hating the boolits, but deep down, I thought they were just too darn purty! I think the boolits sensed this too, so it didn't work.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ok, try heating them. Show them love, not hate.

I don't type so well.....

I guess this explains why I have wax seperating out of the mixture when it cools... I have WAY too much wax. I'm guessing that the part that stays in solution is probably about the right ratio of wax/alox/solvent. Does this sound reasonable?