MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Newest Member of the 45-70 family!

Boolit Bub

Newest Member of the 45-70 family!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marlin 45-70.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	80427

Gonna sight her in Thursday. Cant wait! Have any of yall done the action/trigger jobs on these and how did you like the results?

I so dont like scopes on 45-70s or levers.
    Too many shooters get scope kissed

Dont forget to order up a six shot tube, and turn it into an assault lever
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Bub
    Lead fred, Ive NEVER been smacked by any of my big bores. this one makes the 3rd 45-70. I load them all spicy as well. Might just be Ive shot many scoped big bores ( the biggest is a 458 lott) and so far havent had any issues. But i can see where it would be an issue with cheap glass. I am still thinking hard of putting a ladder style sight on it. GandyDancer wants me to put a set of skinners on it. any dealings with those? Any particular brand tube you like?

Boolit Bub
    my main reason with having this one scoped ( for time being) is for low light conditions. any issues with those aforementioned sights? Thanks for all the help fellers, yall are great!

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    My Marlins typically have Redfield receiver sights on them, but they are where you find them. Older STEEL Lyman would be my next choice, and then the Williams Foolproof. I've not used the Williams receiver sight that uses the (2) rear scope mount holes, but it should be pretty light and unobtrusive.
    I have always preferred aperture sights on lever actions and scopes on bolt actions, probably because my dad had everything set up that way. I usually think scopes look & feel out-of-place on a lever gun. I searched and found NOS Lyman sights for an older Savage 99 & a J.C. Higgins 45 (Marlin 336) that I bought on the same day few years ago. My favorite lever gun as a kid was my father's Winchester .32 Special with a Williams receiver sight with a ramp hood, what a gun! I've also installed an XS rail and ghost ring set on my Marlin Guide Gun that has worked out like a charm, although I will admit looking into a low power scout scope with Talley quick detachable scope rings. I've always liked the concept of a removable low power scope with open sights on a big game rifle to cover all situations in the field. I hate scopes fogging up in bad weather conditions, and missed the best opportunity for a wall hanger in such a way. I know, it's all personal preference based on what works best for you, and this is what I've found works best for me.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

I have a Guide Gun in 45-70 also. I put a set of Skinners on it. I liked them so much I put Skinners on every levergun I have.

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyston44 View Post
    I have a Guide Gun in 45-70 also. I put a set of Skinners on it. I liked them so much I put Skinners on every levergun I have.

Key
    I went to their website, very nice! I checked out the ones for a TC Contender, hmmm... Might be in my future.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    I put a Wild West Happy Trigger on my 1895 Marlin. Bought the trigger from Brownells and installed it myself using You Tube. Without any filing etc. it is supposed to bring the trigger pull to about three pounds.I like the results just fine and it also eliminates the "marlin flop".

Boolit Bub
    Greg B. , I saw those triggers. could you tell a substantial improvement?

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle. I'd put a Williams F/P peep on it. Unscrew its aperture and throw it away. Then you'll have that dusk and early dawn shooter. Yup a two county rifle. {shot in one and heard through-out in the other} You gott'a love them 45-70s. I hope your intending to shoot some cast thru it?

Boolit Master
    I'd suggest you actually put a scale on the trigger to see where you're at before doing anything. Using a finger for a scale just isn't accurate. The last Marlin I had was just a shade over three pounds right out of the box. I never touched it and it got better with use. Just see where you are before going forward.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
    I put a Wild West Happy Trigger on my 1895 Marlin. Bought the trigger from Brownells and installed it myself using You Tube. Without any filing etc. it is supposed to bring the trigger pull to about three pounds.I like the results just fine and it also eliminates the "marlin flop".
    +1 on the Wild WEST trigger. I love mine

Boolit Bub
    Ye sir OverMax, i shot some cast today out of her. Shes ringing steel out to 200 yard with No problem at all! Im in love!! lol