Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Large pistol primer versions of 38 Special or 357 Magnum brass?

Boolit Master

Large pistol primer versions of 38 Special or 357 Magnum brass?

I understand that there have been production runs, perhaps now regular production, of 45 ACP brass that uses small pistol primers. Is there, or has there been, runs of 38 Special or 357 Magnum brass that uses large pistol primers?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Peters made some, in the past. Apparently sometime between 1930s and 1980s. Someone else may be able to narrow the time window.
    They're collectors pieces now.

I've seen pictures of 357's with large pistol primers from the 30's. I've never had one in hand. I have no information on a date when the practice stopped. I'd like to know.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Thanks guys. The reason I ask is that I have a large amount of Large Pistol primers and zero Small Pistol primers. And I have been thinking about obtaining a non-Mk. III Colt Trooper. I owned one many years ago. It was a nice machine once I replaced its "gun butchered" "V" mainspring.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Banned

used to run into them all the time. For the most part i just tossed them so they wouldnt get mixed in with my brass again. I havent seen any for a few years now.

Banned

Not a good idea and why it stopped. Too much primer.

Moderator Emeritus

I've seen both over the years, and they were quite common when I started reloading in 1963. Production of large primed .38's and .357's had stopped by that time, but there were still lots of them around. The gun shop I bought my stuff from back then had two large fishbowls of .38 Spl. brass, and two for .357 Magnum brass. One fishbowl contained small primed brass and the other one contained large primed brass, your choice, at .02 cents each.

The only ones I still have in my possession are .38 Special large pistol primed brass, and I kept them for the nostalgia. You won't find any currently manufactured .38 Spl. or .357 Magnum brass with large primers.

Primers are showing up, so you should be able to buy small pistol primers.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Groo here
    38-44 highspeed.

Boolit Master

If you need SPP check out: powdervalleyinc.com Yesterday they had plenty of the Tula SPP for 23.50/K with no limit. I have heard people bad-mouth the Tula primers, but they have always performed well for me and several other shooters that I know. And you cant beat the price.

Just my $0.02!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment