WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite edition of Lyman Cast Bullet Manual

Boolit Grand Master

The 3rd Edition was my first manual dealing with cast bullets and it really helped me get started casting. I purchased the 4th as soon as it came out and was disappointed. The "how to" section and shooting/casting articles in the 4th are nowhere as helpful/interesting to a new caster as the 3rd. There may be more bullets and powders in the 4th, but unless you're into Black Powder Cartridge Competition shooting, the 3rd is much better and you don't need a Phd to read the metallurgy chapters...

If Lyman were to bring the 3rd back, I'd buy another one.
    Last edited by mdi; 07-07-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

The 3rd has a lovely section at the front on the history of the Ideal company, old tong tools and molds. There is an interesting pictorial on how Lyman molds are made. There is a great two page section on lead hardness, malleability and expansion which is useful for the hunter.

Would people agree that overall the 3rd has more information on faster powders for rifle data - shotgun and pistol powders whereas the 4th has some fast powder data but has more medium speed rifle powders - IMR 4198, H 4895. This may reflect more of where people seem to be looking for accuracy these days - medium speed powders for reduced cast loads?

Off topic but I would also state the Lee manual is good for data as is the Lyman Reloading Manual. Of course the Fryxell eBook is excellent. Dean Grennells edition of the ABC of reloading actually taught me the most about the business of casting.
    Last edited by sthwestvictoria; 07-06-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Liberty:

Depends on your interests. Nos. 3 and 4 are better for reloading info. The 1973 is the best overall display of the whole array of bullet designs (past and current, with photos) and their weights, seating screws and lube-sizer top punches. Since my interest is more historical, I get most use out of the original 1958 edition (with a re-arranged title "Handbook of Cast Bullets") - I have worn out two or three copies - which has a lot of anecdotal info by past users and designers, but lists only some of the bullet weights. The First and Second Editions have been reprinted by Cornell Publications in durable, enlarged (8-1/2" x 11") and affordable formats.
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Buddy
    I only have the fourth one (been suggested the 3rd and trying to find under 50 bucks). As stated before the chapters themselves seem to be an autobiography and he was covering casting instead of being technical ( almost done with it.)

I Will have to say in the lines of Data awesome data just because of different mould types companies etc

Boolit Master

I use the 1973 version for mold reference..and use the third issue for loading. There is also a lot of loading info for cast in the Lyman 45 manual.

Boolit Master

I have both 3 and 4 and I find myself using 3 a lot more than 4.

Boolit Master
    #3, 4 is ok but I prefer 3. I would buy another 3 if I find one for a reasonable price. I'd like to keep one in the den and one in the loading room.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    I like Mike V. and like his writing style; but having so much of the up-front info based upon one fellow's experience did throw me off track for a while. I really like the up-front on the 3rd and some of the writing reminds me of the old Dixie Gun Works catalog. Much of the loading data is the same and I use either. I check the powder maker's sites too. The inclusion of a few molds of other makes is appreciated and hope for that to be expanded next go-around.

I have to boast about this forum right here! In many ways it is better than Lyman Manuals, give the caveat to consider all internet info with intent to verify.

prs

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    #3, 4 is ok but I prefer 3. I would buy another 3 if I find one for a reasonable price. I'd like to keep one in the den and one in the loading room.
    Check Amazon. I just purchased a 1973 edition for 18 skins.

prs
    Last edited by prs; 08-26-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master

I bought the 3rd edition in '87 or '88 when I started casting. In those pre-internet days, it was my only guide and teacher. I have since cast thousands of boolits and I've come to rely on it above all other sources .... and if other material has conflicting info....#3 rules! That being said, I also have #4 and use it for load data but there doesn't seem to be any absolutely needed new info.

Boolit Master
    #3, we've grown old together and it has always given me good advice for the calibers I load. I have many molds that aen.t in the #4.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master

I use the 3rd edition and the first edition.
    The 4 edition is interesting reading but does not give many low velocity, low noise loads.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master
    I have all 4, 1st through 4th, and have read then all cover to cover. I have to say that if I could have only one, it would be the 3rd. The historical information on the Ideal Company and the history of Boolits is very interesting, and the info on hardening boolits by Heat Treating was very useful when I started casting for rifles. The drawback is that some of the loads listed are for powders that were discontinued many years ago. Alcan? WW-630? And of course, newer powders like Titegroup, Power Pistol, Varget, Accurate Arms, etc aren't covered at all--guess their crystal ball was not quite accurate enough back in the day. Also, the 44 and 357 mag loads are a little energetic at the top end, due to the SAAMI reduction in Max. Allowable Pressure that took place after the 3rd Edition was published. Still, there is wealth of info there, especially light boolit Gallery type loads that have been omitted in the 4th.

One of the things I found strange was the Reduction in loads for such staples as the 30-30 and the 30-06 in favor of the likes of the 45-100, 50-70, and the 338 RCM. I would bet a paycheck that more cast boolits are fired from 30-30's in a week end than will ever go down range from a .338 RCM. The 4th Edition has more modern powder data, though, and that is necessary, especially these days when you can't always get what you want down at the LGS. I am glad I have both. In fact, I consider myself lucky--I have many older manuals so I can find loads for just about any powder that comes my way this side MR-17.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I like the 3rd the best........Because it's the only one I have.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

+1 on #3. I have all 4 also but 1 and 2 are of limited use since I prefer the later data in #3 and don't have most of the old cartridges/powders/molds that are covered in the first two.

I'm glad that I don't have to try to find the 3rd edition now. It is probably very expensive. Try the book search sites rather than ebay.

http://www.abebooks.com/
    http://www.alibris.com/
    http://www.bookfinder.com/
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Got a reprint of #2. for older calibers and older powders it is very good. #2 lists ALL lyman molds at that time. #4 just lists current molds. if you buy used molds, #2 is a lot more useful. Not sure what #3 lists and don't want to go to reloading room to find out.

Boolit Master

Reprints of the Lyman (and other old manuals) are available from Cornell Publications.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    As stated above and due to this fine thread, I ordered a 1973c edition through Amazon on AUgust 22 and it arrived this AM (August 26) in excellent condition. This is a plastic splined book with no edition stated. Is it a "#1" or is there an earlier edition.

On one of my favorite listings, the 45ACP 452374 it lists 7.3gr Unique. That seemingly over-stated charge persist into the current edition. I have not and intend not to "go there".

prs