WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 30 30 Ackley Improved

Boolit Mold

30 30 Ackley Improved

Has any of you had a lever gun(particularly a Marlin) in this caliber? How did it work for you? Any feeding problems?

Boolit Grand Master

No feeding problems and no sticky extraction if you are sensible. I did one for a friend, but he uses Jacketed slugs. Never shot it with cast loads.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    I played with the idea of the improved cartridge for quite a while. I came to the conclusion that the standard old 30-30 cartridge was quite sufficient for most of the hunting I do. Now, thanks to Badger Edd, I think the conversion to make with the 336 or M-94 is toward the 35-30 (or 35-30-30). That is where my heart is now.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I can see no use for a Ackley Improved for any cast boolit rifle. As far as a .35-.30-30, may as well go with the .38-55 or .375 Win.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    I don't have any experience with a 30-30 Ack. but I have a 25-35 Ack. in a 1894 Win. rifle. It is a good performer with jacketed bullets, but the neck is shorter than I want for cast. I think most of the Ackley designs have a pretty short neck which is a negative for cast (in my opinion) in lever guns because you have a max length to contend with and you can't seat bullets out. I haven't had much luck shooting cast bullets when the bullet is seated down into the case below the neck.
    Jim