Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baikal 45-70 SxS

Boolit Master
    sharps4590,
    I haven't shot it yet. I got another rear sight to file to a shollow vee. Am haveing trouble finding out what the front sight threds are. The front sight is hard for me to see. Narrow black post. I might just put some white paint on it so it shows up in the u notch rear.

Dan,
    Sorry but I will need the Snider as a back up. How is your Snider doing?

swamp

swamp,
    The front sight looks like a standard Kalashnikov sight to me. It is Russian, after all.

If it is, there are a lot of options, from cheap colorful plastic replacements, to high-quality posts or beads, or even a duplex crosshair sight.

Boolit Master
    Danderdude,
    Thanks for the idea. I never thought of that. From the pictures the do look the same. I e-mailed the the designer at the plant in Russia, but who knows if I will get a reply. I will check localy and see if anyone has replacement sighhts and see if it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    sharps4590,
    Dan,
    Sorry but I will need the Snider as a back up. How is your Snider doing?

swamp

Have not had time to play. One winter too much snow. Last winter, too much wind. Now too much work getting ready for our BPCR match.

Dan

Seen one at the gun show yesterday in Richmond - Very tempting. just under 900 out the door.

I was surprised at how light it was. My Savage 311 with barrels cut to 24 in is heavier than this 45/70 SXS!
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    Owned a couple of Baikals but sold the 45-70 as I thought the barrels were simply to thin to be safe over the long run. Still own one in 30-06 and it will put 2 shots from each barrel into a 1 1/4 inch circle at 50 yards. All these rifles need is some trigger work and better sights. Most come with a comb to high but that is easily fixed by adding a scope or red dot.

Barrels are scary thin at the muzzle on the 45-70. Two shots from each barrel and the barrels are to hot to hold. Supposed to be safe according to the company that built them, but just didnt seem right to me.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 07-08-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Boolit Master

Baikal SxS

I received an answer from Baikal in re the front site. Tried to post reply but will not load.

Basically they sent me detail drawings of the front post with all dimensions and thread pitch. Now all I have to do is change to inch measurements.

swamp
    Last edited by swamp; 07-09-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Well - don't keep us in suspense - let us know the answer.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    Sorry about that, Chief. They are M6x0.5-6gmm. I need to see if that is the same as the AK sight post. The drawings are more detailed.

swamp

Boolit Master
    Checked with Baikal and the post of the AK and Baikal front sight are not the same. Diameter is , but pitch is different.
    Any machinest out there that might give me an idea how much to make a bead post for this thing?

swamp

Boolit Master
    I got an answer from Baikal on the front sight. The diameter is the same as the AK but the pitch is different.
    Any machinest out there that could give me an idea of how much to get one made?
    Last edited by swamp; 10-28-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Boolit Mold

Baikal 45-70 SxS

[I have a Baikal just like yours-same caliber. When I first shot it the results were 3 inch groups at 50 yards. Then I started playing with the adjustment screw and accuracy declined significantly. I can't keep it on paper. My target frame is a mess. Believe it or not I saw a post about an air gun scope mount that would fit the dovetail. I bought it works. I put a cheap scope on the gun. I tried to use two laser bore sights to sight it in. Didn't work very well. I have shot 300,350, 400,405 and 500 grain bullets with it. I also shot hornady leverevoltion with it. I called the factory (Hornady) and ask about that one. The gun seems sound. I shot 53 rounds one day at the range. I did let it cool often. Recoil is not that bad. Using the Lyman Reloading handbook I have shots loads up to 27100 CUP. I love the gun and it's probably the only double rifle that I can ever afford so I plan on keeping it a while. The gun I own has Remington on it, but it's imported from Bailkal. Check Garrett Cartridges. He has some eye opening facts about the 45-70 and its penetraction numbers. Good Luck.

Ow hell, I thought I was saving up for a Sharps but now I want a double rifle.

Just for interest, I have an old 2006 Remmington catalogue that has "SPRs" that I am pretty sure are Baikals. The double rifle is listed as SPR22.
    Last edited by Aces an Eights; 08-25-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Thanks!

The SXS shotgun conversion will put two into a 6" circle from 50 yards every time. The inserts have eccentrics at the muzzle that you use to regulate.

My barrels required very little work to regulate. I shoot the Gas Checked, Ranch Dog 425 tumble lube bullet over a stout load of RL7 or 3031. Pushing around 1800fps. It gets your attention on on the back end!

The barrels are very heavy with the inserts so it really settles down for the second shot, and the weight tames recoil a bit. Not sure I'd want to carry this thing a few miles, but that is why God invented Gun Bearers.........

I added the sights from a bunch of parts I had in the junk drawer.

I'm here to tell ya, nothing is more fun to shoot!.......Will be taking it Hog hunting in Texas this winter..........
    6" at 50 yards isn't bad at all from a double. I helped a friend load some ammo and sight a .500NE double that was a $25k gun and all the manufacturers guarantee was 6" at 50 yards.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master
    These Baikals have always interested me since they are an inexpensive way to try a double rifle. The over/under double rifles are really odd(which I like), but I may need to find one of those Bounty Hunters with the inserts. It just looks like it means business.

Boolit Master
    I finally got out to shoot the SxS. Mostly just trying it out and get an idea of where it shoots. So far it is hitting pretty close at about 70 yds. Not put it on paper yet. Shooting in the hills. The best was the collar buttons. Hitting pretty close to each other.

Also tried some 300gr. and 400gr. NEI spitzers. They did ok. Next time I get out I will have to take target stand and bench and get serious.

The only problem is that I am not used to double. I found myself relosding after one shot. Too much time with single shot guns.
    swamp

Boolit Buddy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    There is a jack screw between barrels:

http://www.eaacorp.com/Manuals/MP221...Regulation.pdf

Thanks! Just got my rifle but it did not come with a manual.