Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Has anybody tried Alliant Promo in handgun cartridges?

Boolit Bub

Has anybody tried Alliant Promo in handgun cartridges?

I use RedDot in my plinking handgun cartridges (9mm, .40, .357, .44mag and .45acp) but it has become impossible to find. I'm down to 2lbs of RedDot and have enough empty brass to use most of it. I ordered 8lbs of Alliant Promo to use in place of my RedDot. According to Alliant, Promo has the same burning speed but is slightly denser so powder measures will had to be adjusted to throw the same powder weight. Alliant says that I can use my loading tables for RedDot with the Promo. I'm just curious of results that others have gotten using Promo. I hated to buy 8 lbs but the hazmat fee makes trying a 1lb container too expensive. Since both my sons are shooters a pound of powder doesn't last too long.

Boolit Master

I use Promo. It works great using Red Dot load data. (I've never used real Red Dot) Promo is a little denser than Red Dot, about like Green Dot.

Boolit Master

Best buy out there for a replacement for your red dot loads , by weight as has been mentioned , I am using for my 38 special loads , only like to buy by the 8 lb. jugs work up a load and have enough to stay with it for awhile , and the haz-mat fee and shipping as no one around here carries much powder even when there is not a shortage.

Boolit Master
    I was a Red Dot fan but I now use PROMO in 9MM, 38/357, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. Use Red Dot data by weight. Works great and much cheaper.

Boolit Master

190 Lee SWC 0.451" (fresh cast)
    Mixed brass
    5.0 Promo
    Wolf LP
    Stock 1911
    Better than I could hold with a rest at 50.

Real tests in a couple of weeks when the boolits stabilize.

Works in rifle too.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-05-2016 at 10:52 PM. Reason: added info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks everyone! Those are just the kind of replies I was hoping to get. I'm anxious to get the Promo now so I can try it out.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, works great. By weight, using red dot info.

Boolit Master
    I wish I could get it locally around here, since I use Red Dot in my 9mm loads, but it is so cheap that even with haz-mat I will likely buy a few when things calm down.
    As far as I know, it only comes in 8lb jugs, since it is intended for economy shotgun loads.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy

Works Great! I use it in 9mm, 40 cal, 45 ACP and 38 special.
    It's a little on the dirty side but performs consistently and accurately.

Boolit Master

Hey Cowboy

Find some friends, buy 3 8 pounders and divide the shipping and Haz Mat ripoff.

Three of these big jugs are a case.

Or find some other powder someone needs.

Powder Valley, in KS.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Hey Cowboy

Find some friends, buy 3 8 pounders and divide the shipping and Haz Mat ripoff.

Three of these big jugs are a case.

Or find some other powder someone needs.

Powder Valley, in KS.
    I am already planning to buy at least 1-2 jugs for myself, along with some other powder from PV when things calm down, and have a buddy that will go in with me on shipping and hazmat. Promo is so cheap that even with the hazmat as long as you buy it and a couple other powders you still come out ahead compared to locally!
    Powder Valley is always $3-5/lb cheaper than local and from what I hear and see around the country, we don't have it as bad as some do!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Grand Master

I have 24lbs of Promo. I use it in all of my handguns from 9mm to 45Colt for target practice. You can't beat the price.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I just started using Promo for 9mm, 357, 45acp & 45 Colt, seems a little smokey to me or is it just because I started with a med-low Red Dot load charge? Using Ben's Red as lube.

GMT

Boolit Bub
    I have had great results with PROMO using Red Dot data as has been mentioned above. I switched over for my 45 ACP practice loads when Bullseye became impossible to find. After load workup I found that I can use the same weight charge and get only slightly higher velocities than my comparable Bullseye load with 200 grain SWC's. That makes things easy. Don't take that to mean that PROMO data and Bullseye are the same. Do load workup based off Red Dot data using standard load work up practices. All that said, I really like PROMO.

Boolit Mold
    I know this is an old thread, but where did you find the load data for 9mm and 357? I only saw 38 speccial on their website for Red Dot.
    thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Promo is effectively a direct replacement for Red Dot.

Technically it is more dense per volume but weight for weight is effectively the same.

Boolit Grand Master
    Promo comes only in 8 lb jugs - two jugs to a case. I must like it. I have 9 jugs. Works wherever Red Dot is used. Same data. No longer the bargain is once was but still a good deal.

Not a bad reduce rifle load powder either...."The Load".

Don Verna