MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 40s&w loads

40s&w loads

Does anyone have a good load for 180gr cast?

Boolit Master
    I like wsf powder in 40sw. I use 6.0gr for a nice mid-range load. Ymmv.

Boolit Grand Master
    Using the close-in-weight Lee 175 grain TC......1.135" OAL......atop 4.7 grains of WW-231 in W-W cases with WSP primers, I duplicate the ballistics of my carry load (180 grain W-W SXT) very closely.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

4 grains of Red Dot. It will produce about 850 fps, and it's my go to load in .40.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    +1 for Red Dot 4.0 gr. (I use Promo). My Lee 401-175-TC (standard lube) drop @ 180 gr and chrony at 925 fps. Very accurate load.

I've been shooting the Lee 175 TC (it drops at 178 with my alloy) over 7.1 gr. of HS-6 out of a 5" 1911. It's moving in the 1025 fps range.

4.6 gr of Titegroup under my Lyman 401638 boolits makes 170PF for IPSC. Very accurate out of my M&P Pro.

3gr of Titegroup under the same boolit makes 130PF for IDPA and is softer shooting and accurate out of my M&P Pro

Both loads work well out of my Tanfoglio 5" as well with similar balistics

OAL 1.110

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Moderator Emeritus

6.5 gr Power Pistol works for me.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    4.6 gr of Titegroup under my Lyman 401638 boolits makes 170PF for IPSC. Very accurate out of my M&P Pro.

3gr of Titegroup under the same boolit makes 130PF for IDPA and is softer shooting and accurate out of my M&P Pro

Both loads work well out of my Tanfoglio 5" as well with similar balistics

OAL 1.110

Take Care

Bob
    Same powder and gr I use, good stuff.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Grand Master
    A friend of mine on another board uses 3.5 grains of Bullseye with 125 grain cast boolits in his 9mms, and 4.0 grains of BE with his 180/40s. I told him to quit pulling my leg with his banter, but he was quite earnest about these load weights. He uses them in several pistols in both calibers, and states that as long as good grip tension is maintained (avoid "limp-wristing") he gets ejection right at his feet with both calibers in all platforms. FWIW.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Al one thing I did find as I developed my loads with the 40 cal if I went any lower accuracy with the bullet I use fell off dramatically. Might be just the guns but 3 gr of Titegroup is pretty light and the brass just gets out of the gun.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master
    Bob, I should have added above that I haven't tried these loads myself in my guns, but that I trust the guy and his statements right to the ground. My low-end testing with the 40 S&W used the Lee 175 TC and WW-231. I did not see accuracy fall off greatly in the two pistols tried (Glock 23/Storm Lake barrel and the CZ-75B), the functioning halted in the Glock at 4.0 grains and at 4.2 grains in the CZ. I also didn't think to ask if these light charge weights did or did not give "burn-back" on the casing exteriors. I got a bit of that in both pistols at the lowest load weights.

Burn back seems to be a trait for Titegroup. I experience it with all my loadings with this powder no matter the caliber. Not sure why but assume it has something to do with how Titegroup pressure peaks. Thoughts?

Take Care

Bob

I loaded up some with Titegroup - 4.5grs with Fed primers. Seated to 1.135

Boolit Grand Master
    Bob, I have never tried Titegroup at all. Just speculating, but pressure curve and intensity very likely influences presence--degree--or absence of the burn-back. Keep in mind that my foundation in hard sciences wouldn't support a pup tent--caveat emptor.