RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don't ever loan your pocket knife

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard57 View Post
    I carry a Swiss Army knife and a Leatherman pretty much at all times. Whenever I've loaned either I'm always sorry. How do people function without a knife or a Leatherman type multitool?
    Most folk don't really function all that well...
    Freedom in America was not won with a "registered" firearm, nor was it a gift of the ruling class.

A few years ago my daughter was in high school band and I was the president of the band boosters. The band played at a basketball game in the local state university gym. When I set off the metal detector the campus cop said "are you wearing a large belt buckle," I said "no," he said "oh, I see you have a pocketknife in your pocket." I pulled it out to show him it was a small 3 blade Buck. He said "you can't have a weapon on this campus and I'm going to confiscate it" My reply was "I don't consider it a weapon and I'm going to let you take it." At this point he was holding 1 side and he was holding the other. There was ziplock bag on the table half full of confiscated knives. I said "you can tell me I can't come in, you can let me go put it in my vehicle, but you are not taking my knife." He went back to "you can't have a weapon on this campus." I said "look I've had this knife in my pocket for 30 years." He finally came to his senses and let me go put it in my vehicle. Sometimes common sense does win out.
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas Bluster View Post
    I've had a knife in my pocket daily for almost half a century. I don't know how anybody can go through life without a knife in his pocket. My number one rule is, "If a man ain't carrying a knife, then he is probably too stupid to use one and he ain't borrowing mine."

PB
    This is perfection! Plus, so many people regard then as weapons on sight! So frustrating! I use the one on my left thigh to skin oranges probably more than anything. The leatherman is used daily, if not hourly. Tools. The knives and the people!

Boolit Grand Master

"A knife is a tool. A dull tool is a dangerous tool." My Dad taught me that.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I carry a Swiss Champ every day. I take a little **** for all the items on it. I use something on it every day. "What do you need it for" is the first question I ask.

I have a Buck Lite that I carry to skin. I was hunting on an island one season with several friends and we started talking and showing knives. Fixed blades were the norm, a couple of lockers, and my Swiss Army. Swiss Army got no respect.

After the morning hunt and fishing off the dock sitting in rocking chairs, it was time for the big college football game on the rabbit eared TV. The antenna was not attached and required a phillips head to attach. No phillips to be found! Swiss Army saved the day.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

My Dad started buying me pocket knives when I was about 4. I have carried one since except where prohibited. I have lent out knives and got them back different. I have learned. Once a guy in my fire team tried to cut reinforced Com wire with my Swiss Victorinox. Ruined the edge till I got back to my ALICE pack to slick it back up. STUPID! Most folks comment on the sharpness of my pocket and kitchen knives. I just tell them it is a knife and it's supposed to be sharp. My 3 kids have pocket knives they use with my supervision. They are all very sharp. They respect that.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I've never cut myself with a sharp knife. Only dull knives.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master

Carried a Boker "Johnny Reb" my Mom gave me from 1965 until 2005. Now I carry a Leatherman the bride gave me.
    Like so many above I carried one to school, back then the teachers would often ask for the loan of one to cut some string/etc.
    Now you take a plastic knife to school, get expelled !

Boolit Master

I carry 2, a little Swiss Army that has a thumb drive(!) and a small lock-back with composite scales (light in the pocket). The thumb drive is there when needed, as is the scissors. I don't travel enough now to worry about airport confiscation, but son Jim managed to get the sweet little lock-back confiscated within a month of my giving it to him. At 78, I'm not much into a hunting mode, and don't need a toughy for skinning. And I believe ANY man should carry a pocket knife...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    I grew up on a farm and I don't remember a time when I did not have a pocket knife. When my Grandaughter turned 7 we were up at the lake and I gave her a small/medium pocket knife. It was made in Ireland and in spite of being cheap it holds a good edge. Before I gave it to her I sharpened it up real good. She took the knife outside and proceeded to atack a willow tree/bush. A short time later she appeared i the cabin door holding her finger with her other hand. I asked her "how bad did you cut yourself?" "Not bad" she said "but I'll tell you one thing---mummy is not going to be impressed!" She is 29 and she still has (and uses) that knife.
    R.D.M.

In Remembrance
    As daily routine, I carry two knives.
    A Buck 501 'Squire' lockback rides in a pouch on my belt where it (or it's predecessor) has been for thirty-five years.
    In my pocket, on a ring with my house keys, is the small Swiss Army knife that has a blade, scissors, toothpick, and tweezers.

The blade is razor sharp and I 'never' use it. It is a backup edge for when it might be needed.
    The other three 'tools' get regular use.

About ten years ago a friend gave me a Lansky sharpener for Christmas. Ever since then I have been able to keep the Buck truly sharp.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 08-13-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

30 or so years ago when I was Deputy Sheriff I was working the maximum security section of the County Jail when a new Deputy called on the radio that he had a swinger(a guy hanging himself). We were both up on the catwalk above the cells, and as I got there before the guys on the ground I cut the sheet he was trying to hang himself with with my pocket knife. When I asked the other Deputy why he didn't do it first he said he had never carried a knife. I told him "he better start". I have carried since I was 6 years old when an older neighbor boy gave me one. I prompty lost it later that day, set it down in the dirt next to a tree in the orchard behind our house. All those trees looked the same! A week later I bought myself another one at the store where we went camping with the Cub Scouts. Have had one ever since. I currently carriy a Swiss in one pocket and a Cold Steel folding tanto in the other, and a Leatherman on my belt. I gave both my kids pocket knives, but my daughter "forgot" and took hers to school one day(she was 11 and in 6th grade), earned herself a one week suspension. That taught her a lesson on stupid zero tolerance laws and how people don't care if we didn't mean any harm, you will still get punished. Also learned don't let your big mouth friends go through your purse.

Boolit Master

had a guy cut a live 120V wire with mine once. That messes them up real quick and real bad. You have an instant gut hook.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master

My knife is my American Express card. I don't leave home without it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    my wife asked me once, "Do you have your knife on you?"

I replied, "I got my pants on don't I?"

yea, I never loan my pocket knife out.
    I said that a few to many times now she asks if I am wearing pants , when she wants the knife

My current go to knife is a Green River I built from a blank and made my own leather sheath for , i know it's not a pocket knife but i carry it most days

when that isn't along i have a few different pocket knives

I still have the cub scout knife i got when i was 8

but being as i seem to loose one every few years i don't carry that one

I loan mine out all the time in the house , seems every time i sit down to lunch no one thought to grab a knife from the kitchen and my green river ends up slicing cheese , sausage and spreading mayo

thing about a fixed blade is no one ever tries to stick it in their pocket and walk away with it.

Moderator Emeritus

I use an EdgePro sharpener, can give a blade a repeatable razor edge. www.edgeproinc.com

Boolit Buddy
    O
    Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    When someone asks me to borrow my knife I usually follow with the question, what do you need it for? I made the mistake of not asking that question Saturday while preoccupied with something else. When I came to my senses, I went to check out what the person that had my knife was using it for.
    They were trying to pry a 12 Ga shell out of the magazine. I quickly stopped them but it was too late. They had bent the point of my case trapper clip blade. I knew if I tried to straighten it, it would break. "Been down this road before". Sure enough, I had it almost straight and snap.
    I can make a new point but I'm still mad at myself.
    The worst problem is the guy prying on the shell didn't have the sense to know the shell wasn't stuck. He never pressed the release button which took me about 5 seconds to figure out.
    I çarry two knives. in the left pocket a **** Chinese. in the right pocket my knife. I only loan out of the left pocket

Boolit Master

My friends do not ask me if they can borrow my knife, but then I pick my friends carefully.
    When someone asks me if I have a knife, I ask them "what do you need cut?" and will do it for them.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

A knife of some sort is a sign of manhood, and to a young man a rite of passage. Men who carry knifes of some sort are men, mostly of the old school. I feel sorry for kids today not being able to carry a pocket knife to school. Remember playing mumbly peg during recess on school grounds. I had a knife in my pocket, in school probably from the time I was 7-8 years old, and for sure by the time I was 10. Have probably had a dozen pocket knifes over the years. Today, I usually have two on me: an "Old Timer" pocket knife, and the knife on my Leatherman, and when I have my keys in my pocket, have a little folding Leatherman with knife and sizers (and I don't leave home with out it"). Have managed to not loose my Old Timer now for over 10 years. (probably should not have said that)! It has gone thru the washing machine a couple of times however.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    No I do not. I do however believe in Gibb's Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!